Why does society ignore men in an abusive relationship?

I mean it's not any better than a woman in an abusive relationship, society tells men they shouldn't hit women and fight back cause it's wrong. Why is this such a double standard?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you already know the answer to that question.

It's basically, society sucks, and because they believe women are weak and men are strong so OBVIOUSLY men never get abused or raped ever

Even though we all know that's far from true

What Girls Said 8

• I don't, I wrote a whole take on sexism against men.

Society does however due to sexist social biased.

• This is a big issue that deserves a bit more attention. I blame society. Unfortunately, society has this idea that women are weak and could never have the strength to actually harm someone especially a man that appears to be bigger or stronger than she is. it's a crazy double standard but I really think the biggest problem with this is that men rarely speak out about it

• Because it rarely happens!

• I think it's due to the role men play in society. They have this strong , protector, this image of strength and masculinity that's how it has been for centuries. The double standard however.. it's sad to think about. Not all men are that kind of man that society wants them to be.

• Society is sexist my friend.

• I agree one hundred per cent, men get ignored in this area, and women can be physically abusive as well. Men need to be made more comfortable to come forward with regards to their abuse

• Because of patriarchy. We're taught that men can't be hurt by women because they are stronger. While this is starting to change, there's still a stigma attached to being a male survivor of domestic abuse which makes men reluctant to seek help for fear of being seen as weak and not masculine.

• Because men are generally stronger and can leave more of a visible impact when using force. With women it's not so much so it's overlooked. Not saying it's right of course.

• Yes but you forget, society tells men it isn't right to hit women, so they don't fight back.

What Guys Said 0