Why is sex so expected in relationships today?

Nowadays, if you say you are dating, people assume you are having sex.

Netflix and chill implies... (Seriously, why don't people just think movie and hanging out?)

Why is everyone's mind in the gutter?

Please keep it PG-13.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well just hanging out is a friednship...

We are sexual beings, there's more to a relationship than that, but without it its not really much of a relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see it as sex. I see it as movies and eating popcorn not sex.. He could of said lets just do it or something.

What Guys Said 8

• Because a good relationships needs good sex.

• Because we glorify sex and look down at people who don't have it. All in the name of it being natural.

• Because people are supposedly "sexually liberated and free" or someshit.

• Why ______ Today?

• Most guys are going to assume sex will happen under those conditions, it's normal

• Really I had no idea that's what people meant. I thought it meant like an appointment. Like a play date or study date. but thats just me.

• Cuz there is a BIG difference between dating and hanging out.

• This has been the case as long as 'relationships' have been common before marriage.

Back in my parents day, which was a LONG time ago, bf/gf just meant going on the odd date, and more often they just went out on 'dates' and nothing happened. They did not have the deep emotional intimacy you think of as part of a relationship. That has never existed without sex, or the expectation of imminent marriage and sex.

Not to say some people haven't done it, but they've either struggled or been asexual.

You're supposed to want to have sex with people you're attracted to, and you're really supposed to want to have sex with someone you care about and are connected to and attracted to who is attracted to you. If you're not finding it hard not to have sex, something is really broken in the relationship.

• So, if you have a personal belief in waiting until marriage, something is wrong with you?

• No, not necessarily.

But if you are dating someone, in love, attracted to each other and are not finding waiting for marriage really hard, something is wrong.

• Ah, okay

What Girls Said 7

• It has become too mainstream. Not a good thing in my opinion, because many people feel like they are obligated to do it and many people do it devoid of feelings.

• If you are under 18 I don't think it has to mean sex. My favorite dates when I was 16-17 were just cuddling with a movie together. It's just other kids want gossip. I wouldn't get overly concerned. And enjoy whatever your relationship is.

• Actually, I am enjoying being single (have never had a boyfriend haha). It's bad enough hearing my friends guy drama. Reading GaG has just made me wonder if it really is that way.

• Because who doesn't want to get laid?

• Because ww as a society are sexualized. It has become more and more exceptable that it has become the norm.

• Sex has always been an important part of relationships, its just that in some cultures in the years past you were supposed to marry first. Of course, people were marrying at 15. Then humping like bunnies. So really nothing has changed.

• Well. At my age, we all have sex in relationships. Usually right away too. So there's no PG-13 for us. I prefer to have sex though.

• Because sex is awesome! I rather have sex then watch tv anytime.