I know most people say personality triumphs all but in all honesty... Who really follows that?

I feel people just say that to not come off as stuck up. Can you really give anyone a chance to date you?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's obviously both. People are just different, so some lean more on one side than the other. Some people lean heavily on personality, some people lean more on the exterior, some people like both-- my point is, it varies form person to person.

A good looking person is a good looking person, but without the personality, they're trash. No one wants to hang around trash, unless they're trash themselves. That's what I think. Personally, I wouldn't even talk to someone with a stupid and crappy personality no matter how good looking they were, even if I tried, I couldn't do it. I can't tolerate people with shitty personalities.

That being said, yes, personality does matter the most. Actual compatibility in the chemistry between two people isn't measured by how great someone's face looks, after all.

• That's why love at first sight doesn't exist, more like lust at first sight. That's why I always stare at a girls eyes, because I don't like to fill my head with shallow thoughts

• I agree with your corrected word use (lust, instead of love). But I actually honestly wouldn't call those thoughts "shallow" simply because it's only natural, thoughts caused by lust-- we're human, after all, and we have feelings. You're not acting inappropriately upon those thoughts, is all that's important, I guess.

• I know it's natural, I just don't like to start it out like that. 😕

What Girls Said 7

• I understand what you mean. In all honestly. Looks are a BIG part of a relationship. Mostly it's a first impression kind of thing. If you think someone is attractive you're going to get to know them or at least try to get to know them more readily then someone you aren't so attracted to. I'm not saying that I wouldn't date someone I didn't find attractive at first glance. Because I know so many guys that I'd love to date that I don't necessarily thing are "attractive" but I love their personalities.

• Ok let's face it
    We need to be attracted to the person in order to date him/her. Rarely the personality overshadows looks in a first impression. Because when you first meet someone, all you have is what they look like. And that can influence your perception of their personality traits
    We assume a very attractive guy or girl is automatically popular, or very funny or nice

In the end, personality has its say and it will matter more, but it takes a while to actually take over looks

• I just don't like on how some instances they totally bash an individual on their looks even though they have a great personality. It makes me mad to be honest.

• It happened to me too, and still does sometimes
      I don't mean as that person acts mean with you, he/she just isn't as open to conversing with you , so you don't get the wrong idea
      And then there are the people who are plain ignorant and rude, which is a whole different story

• I just can't be an asshole like that, I just can't.

• thats true i follow look okay
    than personality okay
    then date!

• I do try to be fair on all bases. It wouldn't hurt if he at least had good hygiene and attempts to make himself look good and that should also collaborate with his personality.

• Well you see it's different with all girls. There are girls who would pay attention to your outer appearance more and there are such to whom the character is more important. I'm the second type, for me personally comes first then the looks - yet it's hard to fall for a person that doesn't take care for their looks ( ya see I'm not saying ugly).

• Personality is what lasts but there has to be some physical attraction as well

• It's the appearance which attracts me , but it is the personality I fall in love with. So I have to be physically attracted to a guy before I would date him, but his personality determines if I continue to date him , or if the "relationship "progresses.

What Guys Said 9

• Looks matter a lot.

When you first meet someone, all you know about them is their looks and their reputation. So you decide who you're going to give chances to based on their appearances.

Also if you think someone as good looking and are physically attracted to them, you'll be more likely to perceive their personality traits as being better than if they were not attractive. You see their personality through rose colored glasses.

• Well at the end if they don't go for personality they'll end up alone or a shit ton of hatered and resentment which will eventually lead to an end

Obviously looks are important lets face it (see my pun;)) But its not everything

• Yes I would give a chance but within reason of course. I mean I wouldn't want a beached whale or a female Shrek, that's for sure.

• I see it this way at least for me and the type of women I like.

Physical attraction scores you the first date. Personality scores you every date after that with them until the end of time.

• Looks are the first thing Duh! After 2-3 dates if she has a terrible personality or just boring I drop them, sorry looks aren't everything.

• dont get me wrong i would date and have casual sex with a person i found attractive but if we are talking more long term then i think personality plays a major deal with it

• They must be attractive to me, past that it really doesn't matter. I'm either attracted to a girl or not, it's not like she's a little attractive or very attractive, it's black and white for me.
    Beyond that personality dominates yeah.

• Physical attraction gets you in the door but personality keeps you there. You can be the best guy in the world and match with her perfect, and actually be able to provide her many years of happiness, but she ain't going to give you a chance in hell to do all that if she doesn't find you hot.

• Personality trumps all but you have to be tall enough to ride the ride. I'd take a 9 personality with 6 looks over a 6 personality with 9 looks any day but she's got to be at least a 6 in looks.