Is 21 too old for an 18 year old and how do I get my mom off my back about dating?

A guy who is 21 likes me and asked me if I wanted to hang out sometime and I said yes and gave him my number. I recently turned 18. I met him at work. I've never had a boyfriend before because my mother controlled everything in my life and now that I'm 18 she can't really do that. I'm sure if I wasn't 18 she'd make me quit my job and stop talking to him. She acts like men have a sexual thought every few seconds and that's all a guy wants me for. I want to date someone. I want to get to know him better. She calls him creepy and that I don't need to spend time worrying about boys, saying how I have to focus on school and work. I do focus on both of those things and having a boyfriend would NOT change that. She doesn't even know him, he introduced himself to her very politely and then she immediately calls him a creep and makes fun of him.

Most Helpful Guy

• You're adult enough to make your own decision.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your mother is just looking out for you and she's probably anxious about you growing up and going out to places with guys without her constant watch ;) Talk to your mom properly and tell her how her controlling behavior makes you feel. Don't for get to remind her, "I'm EIGHTEEN." Tell her what you wrote there:
    I've never had a boyfriend before because you control everything in
    my life and now that I'm 18 you can't really do that.
    Even if she still doesn't allow it after that, it will definitely stay on her mind and get her thinking.

What Guys Said 3

• No and "Mom, I'm 21. Please back off about my dating."

• I'm not 21. I'm 18..

• Easy for you to say when you aren't the person dealing with it. Thanks for not really paying attention to the question.

• Geez... sorry! I hope you find the answer that you're looking for.

• are you serious about question? its not so old ofc

• 18 and 21 is hardly any difference in my opinion.

What Girls Said 1

• just tell her to back the fuck off!