Would you date a single parent?

Why or why not.

I personally wouldn't. People think that ignorant of me but I personally don't want kids and if I do get married and decided to have kids or whatever I want my kid to be their first kid too. Plus I don't want to deal with the mess that comes with them having a kid.

• Yes
  • No
Also I think kids tend to ruin things.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only and only if I would be a single parent myself. I would never raise a stranger's child unless it was a child of, say, a best friend or a relative who passed away. I want to spend time with my own kids and my own kids only.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am sorry, but I wouldn't.

What Guys Said 34

• Only if the kid was 16-17 minimum.

It's completely selfish, but I want to be with someone that can put me first some of the time. If I always come second in the relationship, then I won't be fufilled. And if she did put me first, then I wouldn't respect her because her kids should come first.

If I had my own kids it would be a different story. But as a single male that is a no go.

• No I wouldn't. There are two problems with this:-

Firstly, the kid's dad would most likely be in the scene often, which I wouldn't want.

Also, I can't love someone else's child as my own, especially when the woman I date is the kid's biological mother.

• Single parent tends to put priority of the kid over the person dating them all the time, and tend to limit activities you would like to do with them to kid oriented stuff. Not to mention the kid might become attached to you or vice versa and when you try to discipline them the mother, and/or child can use the line that you are not their father so don't talk back to my kid.

Then you got the ex in the picture who can always insert himself/herself at any time and kick you out at any moment.

I'll pass.

• i would. i wouldn't cast aside a good relationship with a great person simply because they had a child already

• Difficult to say. If everything works fine, it certainly is a possibility, but there are a lot of difficulties among single mothers.

First of all plenty of single mothers are single mothers for a reason. And those reasons aren't exactly positive.

Secondly the child always comes first which can put up an enormous strain on a relationship like this.

• I not only dated a single parent, I married one. (I was a single parent at the time too.)

• I would have no problems dating a single parent.

You being at age 19, it makes a lot of sense for you to think this way. When I was 19 I wouldn't want to date a single parent, either!

At my age, a woman can be married, and divorced, with a kid or two. I do genuinely like kids so I would give her a shot.

• the majority of women in their thirties do not have children

• ... then you turn 36 you have no kids, no spouse, all of your friends are married with kids and have no time to hang out, you have had too many partners to count and the bitter parting words of all your past loves echo in the mind saying it was your fault, so you have a reason to drink but are still young enough to come across as a creep but not in a sympathetic way so you drink and get high at home rather then deal with people, all because Karma is the only one who has time for you and time's a bitch.

But no, I have no problem with dating a "starter family."

• Casually date a single parent... sure.

I've done it with a single mother of two. I only met her kids twice and both were at such a young age it wasn't a problem. It was like dating any 'normal' person of my taste.

• Probably not.. Too much baggage. I'm establishing my self to have a lot of money and getting a degree. I'm not looking to be a step father and raise someone else's kid. I'll probably get some thumbs down on this but I deserve better than that lol.

• Depends. If she was an incredible person and she wasn't just looking for a replacement dad then yeah. I wouldn't mind getting to know the kid and being friendly with them but I wouldn't want her to see me as the kids father.

• thats the problem as the relationship grows you will have to bond with the kids

• I don't mind bonding with the kids again I just don't want to be seen as their father by her or the kid. I don't mind being a guardian for them and being their friend but nothing past that.

• I would not. I agree with the fact that I wouldn't want a kid from a previous relationship. After all, how can I tell what kind of bad traits the guy passed onto his kid? I'd prefer to know more of what I'm dealing with than to deal with the completely unexpected.

• Maybe as long as its just dating only

• No because I'm 18 and I wouldn't date an 18 year old single parent.

• I like kids, so yeah I would date a single parent.

• You'd feel differently if you trusted someone enough to have their child, and then he betrayed you, abandoned you, and all of a sudden you were untouchable...

• Having my kid definitely ruined things

• ONLY! if she was a widow and it had been years since she lost her spouse, then I *might consider it.

• Yep I would almost did once

• I have no interest in seriously dating a women with children

• I don't want kids, let alone some other dude's kids.

• I'd feel a sort of irritation as I remember that child was not made with me. That I am simply taking the place of one of the creators of him or her, feeling he or she is not entirely mine...

• o-O the voting outlook changed again?

• Overall i think it depends on situation. I would say no i wouldn't date a single parent, but I'm not saying i never would do it because hey who knows the person and the child might be some really great people.

• I don't want to become a sort of 'father figure' to someone's child. No thanks.

• As long as I"m not expected to parent or do kid activities.

• Because either way its nice to be with someone

• No, children are repulsive.

• Noooooooooooooooo

• Hell no, I am not raising another man's child.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 25

• i wouldn't, because i want to be someone's first, and id like him to be my first.

• I have dated a couple of single fathers, and to see how they interact with their kids, shows that tender/compassionate side of a guy, that you don't normally get to see until they have kids. I learned that because of how they treated their kids, I would be treated similarly - and I loved it. It isn't for everyone, and I want my own kids - neither of them wanted anymore, so we parted ways. Neither of them had baby mama drama either, which made it a good experience as well.

• If I really liked a guy and he treated me great then I'd definitely still give him a chance. People don't always choose their circumstances. That guy or girl might be really great and thought that they would be in lasting relationship only to get their hearts broken.

• I said no because I have and there's too much babymama drama. Especially when she's trifling and still in love with him, so she uses her baby to try to control the poor bastard.

Also, lots of people in the ghetto apparently have this unwritten rule where it's assumed ok to still have sex with your babymama/babydaddy, even if they're in new relationships, and they don't consider that cheating -_-

Basically, it's implied that sex is always on the table even if the guy or girl is in a new relationship.

I don't like kids, but I especially don't like parents. They're no fun.

So I say no. But if he's really special I'd reconsider.

• I wouldn't because I don't think I'm ready to be a parent just yet. If the relationship gets very serious, then you I would think he'd want me to be more of motherly figure.

Likely, the child has a mother in his/her life already, but I don't see how you could be the dad's partner without also being a motherly figure to the child.

• Why not? Having a child is just another responsibility we have, and we can prioritize, like anyone else who has a career, study, social obligations or hobbies that take up their time too.

• But you really can't categorize kids with these things. we need careers and such to get money and pay bills and be a valuable member of society. You don't really need kids. Well I don't need kids, not speaking for other. Me having kids would be kind of pointless because they won't serve as a purpose and won't be useful to me.

• Good thing I won't have kids so they'll never know

• but she has a kid by another man

• Nope and especially not at my age.

• It depends!

• I would only date a single parent if his kid (s) is/are okay with it.
    When I was younger, my single mom dated this douche briefly and I broke them up because I not only was upset that someone was replacing my dad but also because the guy was a total loser who smoked and lived in a camping car. My mom deserved better.
    My mom broke up with him as soon as she found out I wasn't happy.
    So, I would only date a single parent if his kid (s) is/are okay with it - especially because I love kids and I would want to get along with them.

• No, I'm too young to be a mommy, especially to a child that ain't mine.

• Probably not. At least not at this point of my life.
    I don't even plan on having children myself so I'm obviously not ready to take care of anyone else's children either.

• No I wouldn't, at least not for now, I'm way too young for that, my aunt got married to a divorced man and things are going very well and she treats his son as her son, but I don't I would be able to do it :/

• Honestly - no.
    I don't see myself doing that. Not prepared for it and don't want to ruin someone's life or have someone hate me because I'm not their biological mother... No matter how hard I try.

• Nope. I don't want kids. And if I for some random reason decided in the future that I do want kids, then I'd want them on my own terms.

• Honestly, I really don't see how it's that big of a deal, if you care for the person. The man I met recently and really like has a daughter. But, my reason for being annoyed with him has nothing to do with him baing a Dad.

It's more about his dancer friends... :P

• No, I wouldn't. I'm terrible with kids, so I wouldn't know how to deal with them. Plus, I have no patience for them.

• If depends on why they are a single parent, and their character to be honest. If the guy is motivated to succeed in life, intellectual/educated and caring then yes. This is ideally what I look for in a partner.

Also, how old is the child (ren)? I don't know if I could deal with children who hate me. Is the mom still in the picture? That matters too.

• Definitely :)

• Currently, no. I'm not ready to settle down nor be a parent to anyone.

• I'd do it, and I don't mind helping take care of a kid that isn't mine. :T

• Single father? they are stalemates.

• Parents won't accept.

• Personally, I think it depends on how emotionally ready you are to deal with children. At the moment, I wouldn't date a single date because emotionally, I still feel like I'm 16. However, when I do get more mature, I will be able to.

• I have before, and will not again any time soon. Maybe when I'm older, but for now I say no.

• If it was meant to be then yes. If I didn't see a future with them then no.