Why do people look down on those who live in small towns?

I recently moved back to my hometown after living in a couple cities for a few years. I moved back for love and for work. Unfortunately the love didn't work out, but I'm enjoying the job so far.

However, now that I'm putting myself back out there again, I seem to be getting a lot of negativity from people.

I was talking to this one guy and he asked me "Do you ever plan on moving out of the small town?". As if I had never done that. He made a huge assumption about my life. I've actually lived out of my small town for about 6 years. Sure, it may not be a very long time, but there is nothing wrong with living in a small town.

I also find when I tell people where I am from, people have a negative opinion on the people who are from where I am from. I don't get it. I'm a nice person, I went to school, I have a good job and don't know why there is so much negativity. One person told me that all girls from my area are sluts... :/

I know I shouldn't worry about what other's think. But I'm finding it really hard to meet a guy, when people seem to have such negative opinions or makes assumptions about my life because of where I live.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What Guys Said 1

• I know what you mean , and it isn't an isolated insodent either. I have lived in both the city and in small towns. The last time I lived in the big city I can't count the number of times I heard people say I bet your glad to be out of the little place !!
    But to be honest my small town is where I call home regardless where I have unpacked , ifs just where I feel I belong.

What Girls Said 0