How big is too big of an age gap?

This semester I have been talking with this guy that I get along well with in one of my classes. We started calling pretty frequently for hours at a time and our conversations started getting flirty. He looks fairly young, and I assumed he was around 25-26 since he's working on his Ph. D.( which is the typical age at my university). To my surprise, I found out he was 29. I'm 20 going on 21. Is this too big of an age gap?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it was in your shoes, I would believe that this it is a huge age gap. However, you should know that if you are really attracted to him, and want to go further the age shouldn't be what prevents you to do so.

After all, love is something that shouldn't be defined by an age or any other characteristic. It is based on how you feel toward him.

Hoping that you'll do a decision that works best for you ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• Same age difference me and my guy have.
    We've been together since I was 19.
    It's a good age gap.
    It's not too wide to where you will have nothing in common.

• Thanks. It's really reassuring that's it worked out between you two.

• That*

• :) I hope it works out for u as well <3

What Guys Said 6

• Half your age plus 7 lol

• It could be, it depends on how mature you both are.

• 10 year for high
    low is 2 dont want 2 go 2 jail

• 10 years is too much

• my ex girlfriend was 18 and i was 33

• Your choice eitherway. But I guess it depends on exact age. For me I'm 34, I don't see myself dating a 20 year old. Now if she's like 26-29, different story.

My step-dad is 15 years older than my mother. He looks much younger than his age and they are very happy.

What Girls Said 10

• My ex friends with benefits was 6 years older and we were fine. I think you could squeeze another 3 years into that and it would be fine, too. But that depends on how mature the both of you are and if you share interests. If you click, then there's nothing wrong with it. You're both adults and 9 years is still passable in my opinion. Past 10 years I'd reconsider. Past 20 years is just a no-no and such couples rarely want each other for "good" reasons.

• maybe like 40 years!

• Going on 21 and he's29 is acceptable v. 11 and 20/21.

• More than 15 years is too much in my opinion.

• It's perfectly fine. You're 20, it's okay for you to be with someone 9 years your senior. It will only be a problem if you're under age.

• Nah, 9 years is alright.
    If you guys get along well, fine.

• No big deal for dating but regarding a long-term relationship, sorry he is too old for you

• Nope. So what. If u feel a connection go for it :(

• No its not.

Whoa the guy that im talking to matches your description. Interesting.

• I'd say it depends. You could be an old 20 or a young one, and the same goes for his age. But if the feelings are genuine, you are both consenting adults so follow your heart!