Are Australians smart?

Most Helpful Guy

• People and populations are stupid. Individuals are smart.
    Some people give Australians a bad rep thanks to exporting some awefully vapid tv ("home and away" for instance) and the heavy rural accents (heavy accents tending to develope in areas of reduced outside influence, thus areas prone to a lack of knowledge and customs which appear backwards to outsiders). But it certainly seems less deserved than the American stereotype of self agrandising idiocy, or the British stereotype of jingoism (though I think most cases of that are just people playing up to it for laughs).
    Every Aussie I've spoken too on a one to one basis has been a moderatly intelligent individual, or at least self aware enough to want to learn. I interact with a lot of tourists working at a museum. We get a lot of aussies in and they genuinely want to learn... where a lot of other tourists (particularly Americans and Londoners) will come in so convinced that they understand everything there is to know about history that they will try and correct people with YEARS of academic study of the specific topic under their belt.

Most Helpful Girl

• some are and some aren't

What Guys Said 20

• I think that being smart has nothing to do with nationality.

• Europe invited millions of poor / illiterate arab immigrants in.

Australia decided "yeah, we don't want millions of poor people from war torn nations flooding us" so now they literally tow illegal immigrant boats back out to see.

In my book the Aussies are damn geniuses.

• They are chill and don't deal with shit like America does. So yeah I think they probably have life figured out compared to U. S. lol

• I don't know about smart but all the ones I've met or talked to are hella funny.

• I heard that the more men over there %wise care about their health muscle wise than American men. That is smart in my book.

• Not all. Some of them are and some have as much intligence as 2 planks of wood.

• Why wouldn't they be yeah?

• Yeah of course there are smart Australians.

• Some of them are, some of them are not. A bit of both I guess.

• All I know about Australians is that they are good :-)

• some yes and some no

just like every where you go really : )

• People in general are stupid...

• Like everywhere else, I've met some very clever ones and some very very stupid ones.

• Wow. What a stupid question.

• Maybe about kangaroos

• nope they are not

• Only if they're Asian

• Of course not. It's the land down-under. "Under" in everything. From brains, to wealth, to morality and basic human decency. It's a colony of former convicts which displaced the native population. Every Australian is a blood-thirsty savage.

• They can hardly pronounce words corectly,

• As opposed to Americans, who apparently can't handle the extra syllable in aluminium.

• @EasyForYouToSay

• @sean1234 For many years, it was spelled both ways by different people. But the standardised 'correct' version, is aluminium.

• Depends. If u r from Sydney (like me) then u r smart, but if u r from Melbourne then u couldnt tell an orange from an apple. Lol jk. U can really stereotype a whole nation. Some people are smart and some are not so much.

• *cant. And u can thank us for wifi.

What Girls Said 9

• Yeah I have some friends who are from Australia and they dress up quite well. Besides I always like their clothes and styles :) They look quite smart :)

• What has being smart got to do with clothes?

• hmmm. sure. some of them.

• The girls are but the guys hmm are questionable

• I don't know but my ex was stupid.

• Are you speaking of Australian people or the kangaroos?

• Some of us. Much like the rest of the world.

• Why wouldn't they be

• Some are, some aren't just like in other places.

• What kind of question is that? Intelligence is not based on nationality