Do all men want an independent woman?

women independant, who care a lot about her work, who don't need to be protecteged, partage the date ( both paid their part) or does men prefer a women who need a man to protect them, depend women.

• independent women
  • dependent women

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually want a woman who stays at home and cooks, cleans and takes care of the kids, that's worked for most of history, I'm not about to change it up. "Independent" women are usually harder to get along with because they have bigger egos, and they focus on their work more then the family, if both parents are focusing on work more then family than we have a problem, cause the family isn't going to work, thats why divorce rates are so high, so no independent woman for me, I'm completely okay with a dependent one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I look at it like this: if someone was 100% fully independant, no one would be looking for a soul-mate. The definition of independant is being self sufficient. If we as humans were fully self sufficient, then why do we feel the need to grow an emotional attachment with someone? Why do we feel lonely in the long-term?

So considering that, my answer is just inbetween. I want to be able to make my own money, build my own self, but also need someone I can go to arms open when I'm feeling weak, when I need love or even when I need a power source. And it's the same both ways also for men towards woman.

What Guys Said 53

• Independence is a must. But not necessarily in the way you described. I mean emotionally independent. Like someone who is a whole person without the need for someone else to make them whole. A couple should compliment each other, not require each other to be whole.

I don't mind paying for dinner. I don't mind being protective when needed. I don't mind opening the door. I don't mind taking the lid off the jar. I don't mind fixing things for her. But I DO mind someone who is emotionally dependent, insecure, clingy, etc.

• You can take either idea way too far. Independent to the point she has no value for or to the man besides sex, or too dependent to the point she is a burden on the man. Ideally both people should be able to depend on each other adding to the value of each others lives, while not draining too much on the strength of the other. Our society likes to take things to one extreme or the other. In most cases balance is what is needed. Often women that are in that balance can be seen as being either dependent or independent to those that are out of balance.

• I believe you've said it best here. Either extreme is unhealthy, and even the wording of the question itself assumes a false polarity of virtue.

• I'm onboard with ObscuredBeyond

• Not all men, but I definitely want an independent and strong woman, but I also want her to want me and "need" me. If she never asks for me, then I see no point in being together.

• Err no. They want a woman who is like a cat. She would spend her time on her own but she would cuddles and make funny, happy sounds when he's around and also play with him. She would occasionally feed him and make purring sounds as he touches her. If he leaves her alone then she is also okay with that and just move on to do her own things and look pretty.

So yeah, a guy wants a woman who is strong enough to stand on her own but sometimes vulnerable enough for some protections. That gives him the boost of confidence he needs but not a constant thing so he can do something else instead of being her personal bodyguard.

• Call me old-fashioned but if I'm going to start dating, I want to be the provider and protector and I'd want to be depended on..

• I think both should be dependent on the other in different ways. It is like the Ying Yang symbol, one will be stronger in some ways and weaker in other ways.

I like to be and feel like the man in a relationship. If a woman behaves like a man, that is a huge turn-off for me.

• I want a faithful woman who is in it because she believes I am part of her calling in life, and I wind up believing the same about her being a part of my calling. If she's introverted or extroverted, as long as she's dutiful, I could adapt to work with either one. Unfaithful women who are dependent will cheat with whomever they think provides better. Unfaithful women who are independent think they are goddesses, and their pride destroys everything good in their lives.

• Your way too black and white.
    We want a woman that can stand on her own.
    But there is a need within a man to protect his woman and his family. That is in our DNA. So yes, we want her to want us to protect her. We want her to need us to take care of things for her. even if she can do it herself. (not all the time)

• Yes I don't want to babysit my girlfriend. I wouldn't be interested if she can't take care of herself.

• Wow I would prefer someone who has enough self-respect to want to pay for some dates. It's only fair! Not even sure what she wants to be "protected" about.

• I dont want one. She will always put her work No 1 she won't be home a lot and I will have to end up cleaning and taking the kids everywhere no thanks.

• I want someone who is independent, but still tender and romantic.

• There is nothing that ALL guys want. Some like independent women, others like meek and passive women who rely on them.

• independent is good. but, serious/manly is bad and unfortunately can come packaged together for some reason.

• I'll take an interdependent woman.

• Yes that way I wouldn't have to pay for her things and take care of her as if she was a child I don't want a child I want a woman.

• Before marriage, it does not matter too much for me, however, my preference will lean toward independent. On the other hand, after marriage, I strongly prefer that my spouse would be independent.

• Yes, I prefer independente girls.

• Not too independent I hope. As much as it makes a women strong, most guys would probably want to be needed sometimes.

• Well, i myself like a women who can get things done and wouldn't rely on me to do stuff or correct her all the time. She does not have to have a career, but she must have a "can do" attitude and means to get whatever needs getting done. I can protect a woman, it's totally fine, but i also wanna know she would be fine and keep things running in our life if i suddenly drop ill and cannot leave the bed for a week.

Soooo, indepent, not a must. Self-dependent, definitely a must.

• I like a good balance between both... a little dependent and a little independent...

To much dependent can men a turn off and too much of Independence is not attractive to me...

• No I enjoy having a peaceful home.

• most guys want a dependent woman because they're idiots and then once they date them they realize they were idiots. no one wants someone who HAS TO HAVE THEM it's invasive.

• basically i think most men donĀ“t look for a baby they need to look after. they want a "partner" meaning she has to bring some independency to the relationship.

• depends on the level of independence/dependence.

• The whole 'independant woman' just doesn't sound attractive. At least if you declare yourself that you are one. It doesn't sound like someone who wants a relationship tbh.

• what men hate is when there is a contradiction, i. e. dependent when it suits them and independent when being dependent doesn't suit them.

• Dependent only if she cooks, cleans, and sucks dick well.

• If she is too independent, he will feel like he is not needed.

• Not all men want an independent woman. Some men are threatened by that, so they would not date them. I on the other hand do like independence in a woman.

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 23

• No lol this is one of the contradictions of men. They don't want a golddigger, they complain about having to pay for everything, then on the same breath they bash independent women saying we're not "feminine enough".

Of course not all men are like this. But many are and it's confusing. But we women do contradict ourselves as well so, I guess no one's perfect.

• From what I have noticed, men on this website tend to want dependent women. In real life, the opposite.

• On one end they will cry and whine about having to pay for you but on the other end they also don't want a independent woman who doesn't need them for their money It's really catch 22 these days.

• The guys who complain about paying for women are inexperienced bitches, they don't know how relationship dynamics works and are usually horrible when it comes to women

• @dudegrt09 Refreshing point of view coming from a guy. I'm glad to see you get it.

• Since when do guys wants an independent woman? Scares them shitless. Naturally men are the ones proctect us and are the breadwinners. So... But yeah I agree emotionally dependent is key.

• No I believe in the blank slate theory Lcje espoused to some degree. Even Psychopathy doesn't present until around age 5 and is partly environmental.

• How about someone in between?

• You can't say "all"... cause it truly depends on the guy.

• lol im not surprised with this poll at all. -.-

• yeah normal guys do!

• Kinda knew what was going to happen with the results lol

I would want an independent girl as a partner.

• Lots of guys like independent girls, only conservative guys dislike them.

• That's not true at all. Being conservative doesn't mean you want to be her walking atm for life.

• @Northeast106 ATM has nothing to do with relationship, only gold diggers want that, but theyare definitely not independent girls.

• A balance for both. Too independent or too dependent is not good. Balance is key to everything

• independent yet still feminine is what id expect most men to say.

• i think it's better to be and want both.

• I think a lot of men feel protective towards their woman but not to the point where the woman treats the man like a servant or something

• As soon as you say the word, "all" you generalize so much as to make your question unanswerable. Most guys, not all guys, but most guys prefer a dependent woman. It helps their insecurity

• they say they want independent but they choose dependant one and usually also clingy this one depends on guy for relationship

• Macho men and those with similar ideas don't.

• Who cares what guys want? Don't live your life according to what you think men would like.

• Looks good on paper but living with them is another diff story

• There's nothing all of anybody likes. It's a gender, not a personality. Gender doesn't mean they all like the same thing... the thing these guys have in common is testosterone and genitals, what they like and dislike will vary.

• Some people do want that, some don't. I like being independent.

• Honestly, I have no clue why anyone would want someone who was dependent on them. Like seriously are you looking for a child or a wife? Plus, if a divorce happens the dude is totally screwed.