Confidence means never giving up?

I asked a girl what confidence meant and she said it meant never giving up, is that true?

So if a girl is giving you a cold shoulder you should try more? But surely that's not right?

Didn't realise this would generate so many replies lol

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Confident people know when to give up. Sometimes it's better to give up and let go, than to desperately hang onto an idea, or person, even though it won't get better. What separates confident people from insecure people is that they learn from the experience and don't become devastated by it. Whereas insecure people take it too personally and see it as another reason to hate themselves.
    If a girl is giving you the cold shoulder, you can try for a little while if you feel like it. But usually it's just best to move on and find someone else.

1. Chasing after people who don't want you is a waste of time and feelings.

2. If you chase after a girl who's playing hard to get, she'll learn that giving the cold shoulder is a good tactic. It's a way for her to get what she wants. Then she'll never stop playing games and testing you, not even when you're in a relationship. Communicating will become difficult and she'll never be completely upfront about her feelings. Instead of teaching her that that's a good thing, you should just walk away and show her that it's a bad tactic, a bad way to attract others.

Most Helpful Guy

• Confidence means having faith in what you say, do etc based on some knowledge and facts. Devoid of knowledge and/of facts it's low complex related defiance.

Never giving up can be 3 ways
    1. Determination - Clear focus on what requires to be achieved and giving up is a choice when one feels the effort is not worth it
    2. Will power - after a point of time requires resources to retain it
    3. Obstinacy - can go on after resources are exhausted but may be devoid of clear thought or logic - blind

What Girls Said 21

• I wouldn't say that not giving up equates to confidence, it equates more to relentlessness. To me confidence is someone who is self-assured and isn't affected so easily by the disapproval of others, rejection included.

• Even the strongest of the most confident, can be shaken, believe me I know

• I don't hate anyone lol

• Then what was the point of your response to my answer about confident people when I never once tried to claim that confident people can't be shaken? Lol. I was just stating what I viewed as confidence so it came across like you had an issue with it.

• Hmm... I would say that's more resilience.
    To me, confidence is being able to assess your strengths and weaknesses and have faith in that.

• id agree with that. it's applicable for my life anyway.

as for ur other question, u do try, but not to the point where ur overdoing it. u just can't force feelings out of someone, but u can try to show them u still care.

• Confidence is not being a quitter because you believe you're not capable of something. It means putting in full effort to accomplish something. Never giving up is not equal to confidence, though. Never giving up is having persistence, which is different from being confident.

• con·fi·dence
    ˈkänfədəns/Submit
    noun
    the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust.
    "we had every confidence in the staff"
    synonyms: trust, belief, faith, credence, conviction
    "I have little confidence in these figures"
    the state of feeling certain about the truth of something.
    "it is not possible to say with confidence how much of the increase in sea levels is due to melting glaciers"
    a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.
    "she's brimming with confidence"
    synonyms: self-assurance, self-confidence, self-possession, assertiveness; More

Thank you, Google.

What she stated can merely be her subjective definition of the word as well.

• Confidence is continue with your life when they rejected you lol

Not giving up and keep insisting is having no dignity lol

#sorrynotsorry

• Confindence means loving yourself and what you want!

• Never giving up is called being a pushy creep who probably needs a restraining order placed on him.

If a girl obviously wants nothing to do with her harassment isn't the way to go

• I think that confidence kind of means not doubting yourself and just knowing that you will succeed at something. That's what I think confidence means anyway.

• noooo, please dont believe her, confidence is absolutely not 'never giving up'
    never give up: the power to hold on
    give up: the power to let go

confidence: being aware of what you can do, love and accept yourself
    also your bad qualities. Of course, without confidence in what you are doing, not giving up is harder, but it is defenately not the same

• Having faith in yourself

• persistence is annoying

• I don't get the whole, 'give this word a random new definition' thing. It doesn't mean that at all, that's persistence or determination.

• confidence is being comfortable and knowing yourself, not afraid to show it.

• If a girl is giving you the cold shoulder I think you should find a different girl. Asking the same girl over and over is just going to annoy her

• Confidence to ME = Internal self satisfaction shining outward for others to see.

• For me confidence is being able to confront when you make mistake, and that your willing to learn from mistakes.

Confidence is being able to put across your view point regardless if people disapprove.

Confidence is the key x

I wouldn't call my self shy or confident.. think i'm in the middle lol 😊😉

• You, should try and try! But if she keeps rejecting you. Then just give up lol

• Confidence means being self assured about your abilities, or convictions.

• U shud let it go if dats d case. Dont degrade urself nd trouble her if she is nt interested.

• No, what she said is resilience and if you kept going, would go into pushy territory. That can annoy a lot of people, I wouldn't do that necessarily.

Confidence is thinking you can do it (well, self-confident is believing in oneself). You trust that you know what you are doing and what you want.

What Guys Said 30

• I wouldn't agree with that. It can require confidence to give up, just as it requires confidence to keep going. Confidence is about making the decision to give up or keep going. Admitting what you are doing is not working takes as much or more confidence as continuing.

Confidence is not about thinking you can do anything. It's about knowing yourself, knowing your strengths, weaknesses, and limitations. It's about making choices, and being OK with yourself even when those choices end up being wrong.

One of the most confident things you can do is say "I was wrong". ( I guess I'm not very confident by that definition, but it's still true :) )

• No, that's persistence. Confidence is being grounded in your actions.

For example, others around you are fickle, wavering, and/or able to act due to uncertainty but you can, would exemplify that you have confidence.

Persistence, is to not relent towards a goal, object, achievement, and/or desired outcome.

For example, a girl tells you she doesn't want to go out with you, but you persist in asking her.

Now comes the tricky bit, close to what justbanANNAz said, persistence taken too far or when the attention is unwanted can be anywhere from annoying to predatory depending on situation and circumstances.

• Umm... No. Okay imagine you have a problem that needs fixing. You go to a professional and tell him everything. He said he'll take a look. After that, he tells you it will be 24hr and it's done to perfection. He guarantees it. That's called confidence in his ability and work.

Confident is this sense of feeling you can handle it no matter what it takes. You have skills, abilities and smarts to handle whatever life will throw at you and laugh about it. It naturally comes as you successfully complete things in life.

It's not about not giving up. It's about getting it done no matter what.

• It could be that she simply gave you an answer that came to her mind first. I'm pretty sure confidence means more than just that. But for a man, you should only never give up if you're handsome. If you're not handsome then being persistent will come off as creepy.

• I believe she might have meant not giving up on life. Rethinking and starting something new in the face of having failed before.

However, I think she is not saying continue to relentlessly ask the same person out when that person has already rejected you. Confidence in that situation would mean not giving up on love, moving on to someone else, and trying again.

• not sure that's what it means , I'd describe confidence as knowing what you want and how to get it in life. like your comfortable with self and when around other people

• Confidence means knowing how far to extend yourself before giving up.

Stupidity means never giving up.

• Confidence is doing what ever it is you want to do and not giving two F's what anyone else thinks of you. What that girl said is complete bull and is just a head game to keep you around, with out getting into a relationship with you, because she like the attention you give her. A man with confidence in this case would not keep trying, he would set her straight and if she kept it up he would have the confidence to walk away since he knows he can do better.

• nah man thats persistence. Confidence is not being scared and not fucking it up.

• I disagree. It all depends on the girl. Some will think it's confident that you keep trying, others will think you are a creep and need to move on with your life. Confidence is believing in your ability to do whatever you desire and achieve it without being in everyone's face about it. So to relate it back to this, show you have confidence to either keep pursuing her or go after someone who is better and will actually value you.

• Lies, confidence is a lack of self-doubt.

• It means be the best version of yourself and comfortable with who you are (your desires, intentions and morals).

• Sounds like desperation... that's not confidence

Confidence is not letting fear of others, insecurities control how u express yourself

• nope that means she likes guys chasing her and never giving up even when she has no desire to ever return the feeling but enjoys the validation.

confidence is about knowing your worth

• confidance in thecnical wording: A feeling of self-assurance arising from an appreciation of one’s own abilities or qualities: she’s brimming with confidence

my view: the ability to step out of ones uncertian comfort zone and try somthing brave to them.

if the girl give you the cold shoulder and does not like you thats a her thing since she cannot use words to say no to you : )

• Confidence is knowing that you're good enough and being comfortable in yourself. What you are talking about is persistence.

• Confidence is self assurance, or low level arrogance on some cases.

Determination is never giving up.

• I think determination means not giving up

• lol If a girl is not susceptible or not interested in you, just move along, that's what I do.

• confidence = never giving up?

lol where did she get that from

• Don't believe her.

• I think confidence and never giving up have different meanings

• No that is resilience. Confidence means believing in your ability to succeed.

No, if a girl is giving you the cold shoulder, you should have the self-respect to walk away and believe that you're worth another woman's time.

• Never giving up is persistence.

• No, there's confidence and then there's a point where you become pathetic chasing after a girl who's never going to go out with you. Had a roommate in college who spent 4 years chasing one girl and he still never got her.

• Confidence is believing in your abilities.

• Only if she's sending positive signals. If she's not, it's considered stalking. Look at her body language

• No. Relentless pursuit is not confidence. It's actually the opposite. A guy who keeps pursuing is saying "I don't believe I can get another woman, so I better keep trying with this one." It's a scarcity mindset... and it's creepy.

A confident man, upon being turned down, simply smiles and goes about his day. He knows that another woman will say yes. So what if that particular girl said no?

• Nah. Confidence isn't about never giving up. Confidence is about being comfortable with failure and maintaining the hope that you'll be successful. It's keeping your outlook positive while being aware of and accepting of the possibility of failure.

• Sometimes quitting takes more confidence than persistence. You've gotta get over your sunken cost bais and remember the opportunity cost. Every second you spend pouring your efforts into something that's not worth it is a second you can't spend on what will be worth it.

• Hmm.. depends on people's definitions of giving up. And yours. I think that even if I had confidence, I'd not be so socially clueless as to keep pursuing someone who was clearly showing no interest.

There's giving up, and there's being smart enough to be past all the games and just not play for too long when it's not fun any more.