I told my mom that I like a guy that's 15 years older than me, and she seemed upset?

I'm 25 years old and I like a 40 year old man. I told my mom about my crush today, and it really seemed to upset her. She got really quiet and then asked me why I couldn't find someone closer to my age to like.

Should I listen to my mom? I think this man likes me too by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• The way I see it is if he makes you happier and you make him happier and it's genuine then go for it, but remember when you are 45, he'll be 60 and when you are 60, he'll be 75 and if he dies aged 75, then you can end up being a widow on your own for the remainder of your life and if that could be another 21 years or longer (I'm going by life expectancy here).

Your Mom probably has the same thoughts that I do. Big age differences can work though and I have seen far older men with far younger women and they seem happy, so I am sure your Mom will come around to the idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• Whenever there is a situation where there is a large age gap, I think a lot of people, your mom included, would wonder if you are being taken advantage of, what common interests could you possibly have, life expectancy... any number of things. Even if you were 50 years old, a mom is a mom, and they will always worry about you no matter what you do or who you are with. You are however, also a grown woman who can make her own decisions. If you find this guy to be decent and he is a good guy, then date him and be happy and show your family that you are happy and I think eventually they would come around to liking the guy too. Just you know, be careful.

What Guys Said 7

• anything more than 5 years... starts getting awkward...

• Well if you can prove he really really respects you and treats you very kindly you might be able to convince her. Maybe...

• Personally I dont think this gap is that bad, I had longer gap myself and I known many more with bigger gaps too. Just give your mother time to come to term with your choice, but its really none of her buisness really. Love isent a number anyway.

• If you would have a daughter your age who is in love with a 15 year older man, how would you feel?

It speaks for itselfs that its not ok!

• Yeah your nuts

• that's waaaaaaaaaaay too much

• Daddy issssueesss, galoreeee

What Girls Said 3

• i think you shouldd find someone closer to your age. my mom isn't even 40 years old (and my older sister is in her 20s, im the youngest) so to me this is crazyy

• For dating? It's ok but not for marriage 😉

• 15 years is quite a large age gap. There might be a lot of problems caused by this gap, and if you are going to have a relationship with this guy you should know what you are getting into.