How many of you feel you absolutely need a companion in life?

Some of you have the mind state that you can live alone forever, some of you feel you need a partner at some point in life. Some of you don't even reslly care. Theirs other obligations though, like my obligations. I haven't learned to move past that selfish stage do it'd be hard for me to have a partner. I'm a nice guy though, I'm a cancer so it means the world to me see my woman smile cuz of me. But there's sooo many things I desire for myself, more money, bigger home, faster car, etc... It's hard for me to part from my ambition, but for the right woman is do it. But I'm confused because I see so bang faked relations and all the heart ache and drama they bring lol. Fights, cheating, lies, vebal attacks and pain... I'm almost tempted to stay alone forever... I'm beginning to feel no woman is worth me enduring those consequences for a life, how about you? Do you enjoy being alone or do you need a partner at some point in life?

• I need someone by my side
  • I think I could be alone forever
  • I'm not sure if I need someone or not
  • It's too early in life to tell

Most Helpful Guy

• Like someone said above me, having a companion is the best thing ever. But when you get in a relationship with someone, you could either live happily ever after, (rarely nowadays), or you can lose them. Losing them is such a terrible pain, that its not even worth getting attached anymore. When my first love left me, and dated someone a week later, i cried myself to sleep every single night. Very terrible pain.

Part of me wishes and hopes that maybe one day, a decent girl that doesn't play any games, and actually wants to settle down will come into my life, but right now, i just dont give a fuck. Find em, Fuck em, Forget em.

What Girls Said 30

• I definitely fall into the group who knows they need a companion in life. Being alone is one of my number one fears. I'm 100% sure I want to be able to share every part of my life with. The good times, the not so good. Be able to offer them support whenever needed, and know I can lean on them in my own times of need. :)

• So if you get dumped what would you do?

• @queenlilyreigns lol... You made me laugh

• @queenlilyreigns if I got dumped by my boyfriend I'd obviously be crushed. I can't even imagine how terrible of a mindset that would put me in but everything's going well atm. If it ever does happen or we breakup for any reason, I'd mourn the loss then find someone new.

• It's that simple. I need someone by my side. Usually I want a male, but nothing but a true friendship, one where I can just speak with him about whatever and he'd just come around even if I was not feeling well. One who made me feel pretty everyday, even though I know I'm pretty. Someone I can call at 3 o clock in the morning and cry to, and hold...
    because that would be the greatest thing in the world.

• I don't NEED someone in my life, but it's nice.

See, the negative points you are on about - if you both work at a relationship, approach it maturely and rationally when you have problems, learn to empathise with your partner... be attentive and caring, then you can have a happy relationship. I don't understand why people think all relationships are filled with shit. That isn't what a relationship is, that's what people let it become. They allow it to deteriorate. You find yourself someone who genuinely likes you, that you have genuine interests in common and who has the same idea about what she wants from a relationship as you... then why couldn't you be happy? And so what if it doesn't work out, are you that fragile that it would break you? Or stay alone if that makes you happy. No need to change something if it makes you happy. You may regret it later though, when you see friends with their kids and family, and then their grandchildren, while you get older and older and more and more of your friends die until you're left alone. That sadly is the reality of a bachelor.

• Lol bro someone has to set the rules in relationship and the world has trouble controlling their emotions, there's no such thing as ALWAYS approaching an argument or disagreement nicely... Hahaha and a lot of women have big trouble controlling their emotions... When you piss females off or do something they don't like then they'll yell, or cry, or curse or say something upsetting and painful, that's just life! Some women might be bullied into the corner and let you have your way but not all of them... 😌 call it immature and unrational all you want but expressing your emotions and anger and feelings in a relation is what makes it exciting, if you never have disagreements then chances are your relationship is just as fake as a 3 dollar bill...😂 and sometimes people get sad and destroyed inside when you break up because they worked soo

• If I've offended you in sorry, your not stupid and I wasn't implying that you share yourself with the world that's why I said (maybe) or (if) and yeah I got hurt and it was soooo long ago man that I've been over it, I just miss moments of us together and I wanted to create s whole book of happy and sad memories together but clearly she only wanted a few pages... I'm sorry for your loss though, I meant no disrespect... It just sounded kinda strange to me that's all but but yeah man I'm over all that in the past... My reasons for being alone is because I hate the losing part, I become a different man when it happens and I be one angry and bitter at the world. I rarely speak and I'm always flustrated and always on edge that's why I've decided to stay single and not chance going through that dark world ever again. I'm not punishing anyone by staying single am I?

• Only yourself sweetie, and I only say that because it's quite obvious you don't WANT to be alone.

• at some point in my life, id love to have a man by my side.

• Hey hey what's going on? Long time no talk.. hey can you message me real quick? I just wanted to say somthin real fast

• We'll I just wanted to apologize for the way I treated you in the past, I was an asshole, I'm sorry for my behavior, I know you probably song forgive me or don't want anything to do with me but j still feel like j owe you an apology... I was just mad at you for some reason but I completely forgot why I was mad... Anyway sorry for disturbing your, take care

• Hey, not much really.

Nah thats ok, i got over it ages ago.

• hmmm. I don't know. i have my best friend. i have the friends i talk to. my family. it would be nice to have a constant companion, but i'm not sure about the feasibility. i'm a moody person, got a number of hang ups... probably not conducive to a relationship.

• There's something significant about the way you talk and the words you use, jshxha I can't put my finger on it but it's intriguing... Thanks for your post, you remind of someone I love talking to... I'd love to sit at a dinner table and just ask you questions and get to know you until the night ends

(not hitting on you by the way)

• lmao well thanks :) i didn't really think i worded anything in a particularly interesting manner lol :D

• If you asked me when I was single I'd tell you I didn't need anyone. And that's true. But I have my boyfriend now and I can't not have him in my life now haha

• It's too early in life to tell

• Im young, im not scared at the moment. However, when the time comes where everyone of my peers are off with their s/o, getting married and having children... then i'd start to worry haha. But then again, i have my boyfriend right now who i love very much and see a future with. Its hard to tell if we will get that far, but again, im young and there's more important things to occupy my mind than being forever alone. I actually like my alone time a lot too, so thats a plus😌👍🏼

• I certainly enjoy having some time alone, independence, etc. But I'm at that point in my life where I've accomplished or am in the process of accomplishing my major goals for myself. It would be nice to have someone special to care for and have to celebrate those accomplishments with.

• I have never lived alone, and I hope I never have to. I think I would get lonely, but I guess my pets could keep me company.

• Do you have a boyfriend or husband or something?

• Oh lord that's a lot! I have a feeling you'll never be alone lol

• I hope not. If I was, I would probably get a roommate or move back home to my parents farm or something. :)

• I just realized I haven't been single for 1 day since I was 16 :O I probably couldn't function being alone lol.

• Holy shit how does that happen?

• Holy hell thats a series of unfortunate events.

• I was so sure that I could live alone and then I got into a crappy relationship. Now, I'm just scared to be alone again.

• I'm sorry it's that way for you, being alone certainly does suck!..😕

• Forever alone, yikes! I prefer a partner in crime. 😉

• I want someone to grow old with me and build a family with me 💕👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

• Not necessarily sure that it's a need. More like a sometimes intense desire? If that makes sense. I'm used to being alone and I could manage being alone, but I don't WANT to be alone forever.

• I could be alone all my life lol

• Well, as a person who currently spends 99% of her time alone. At this point, I can see myself being alone forever. This might change in the future, only time will tell.

• I could definitely be alone forever. I don't want to be though.

• I need a companion as I like having someone by my side. I enjoy others company and I think it would be nice to go through the stages of life with one special person. :)

• I don't need one but it sure would be nice to have one.

• Im more than sure someone with a beautiful face like yours has boys going crazy texting and calling you until sun rise lol

• i strongly feel that i need someone

• I'm doing ok for the time being.

• You don't really get lonely late at night when it's a full moon and raining outside and the radio is playing slow romantic songs? Hahaha😅 (Perfect mood and atmosphere)😌

• Yep know the feeling.

• You have plenty of time to figure it out. Date an older woman. You'll have less drama, for sure.

• I've heard that before and I'm really considering it. lol

• I wouldn't say I need someone, but I'd want someone that will love me forever.

• I love myself but if I ever meet a guy who loves and is worth my time I will love him back. But just because I'm single does not mean I will settle or tolerate any guy to be in a relationship with.

• You said if you everyman to God it's worth your time, I'm under the impression that most of the menu meet are a waste of your time, am I right?

• It's too early in life for me, but I'e always been independent. I prefer to be on my own, helping out friends once in a while but coming home alone. I like it and do not think I need a companion. That might change later, I don't know but I voted for the last option.

• Honestly, I've always been fine on my own, but it's nice to have someone significant to share moments with. I can't be one of those women who is always clinging to some fellow, but I think companionship with one person (not a nest of hookups) is nice.

• I couldn't agree with with you more... I know it may sound weird of me to say this but... I kinda like the idea of a girl that's a little bit clingy and always wants to be around me... See in my world, people always act like they don't care or don't have feelings... Usually when girls or guys don't call or text then it means they don't really give 2 shits weather you live or get hit by a car. Lol they'll just replace your ass if you say something they don't like or disagree with. I think if some goes outta their way to yell at you or talk shit or even shed tears then it usually means your somewhat important to their life... That's why if I'm dating a girl then I don't give her too much shit for always wanting to be around me lol

• Yeah that makes sense, I like the way you put it.

• :)

Thanks. Happy Holidays.

• I thought being single was awesome, until I fell in love for the very first time in my life.
    I don't think I could live without my wonderful boyfriend :D

• #nearlynapping described it perfectly for me.

• I'd like one at some point. Friends and family are great, but they all have their own lives. I want to build and share a life with someone.

What Guys Said 37

• Either way is fine. I'm OK being by myself the rest of my life. I'm OK with a partner also. If I had a partner, I'm sure I'd be glad I had them. But I don't and it doesn't bother me being by myself forever.

To be completely honest though, I think the desire to be with someone is repressed and shoved deep into hiding. I think there's a part of me that wants to hold someone more than anything. I deal with what is though, not what's not. So that thought lasts like 10 seconds. :)

• Lucky you! I wish I had your emotions... That feeling keeps coming back and attacking stronger with each arrival. I have a horrified feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'll be one of those losers that's settles for anyone. But my pride is soo strong it's telling me (I'm all you need, fuck the world!😁)

• This is where pride comes in... It's harder to admit a weakness, I know I'm not weak and I refuse to display the weakness... In my mind I don't need anyone! (And that's probably true) but it feels extrwamely good to lay in bed and share your thoughts and emotions with someone, it feels amazing to tell someone how important they are to u because in today's world, theirs not much to care about except material things like cars clothes houses and electronics and guns and stuff. The hard part is falling In love with someone and being betrayed and having to pick up the pieces to start all over. Or meeting someone across the world but never getting to spend time with that particular person... I'm from Los Angeles, nearly everyone has a state of mind where they meet, talk for 4 mins, fuck, and maybe call eachother next week. (MAYBE) haha I must be from a different time era because I most definitely don't like that type of life style and I don't want to share my girl...

• Theirs not much left in this world that's sacret and private anymore, chances are if you have it then 20 other people have had it before you... I'd agleast like my girl to belong to me and not 30 or 40 other guys in the city.😒

• The way I look at this is to have someone also guarantees that you have someone to lose. Same goes for that it's a guarantee that they will eventually lose you at some point. Relationships are not exactly "forever" despite what everyone seems to claim. Almost always a spouse or partner dies before the other unless they happen to die at the same time and that's really random. Divorces are the even worse situations.

I figured that if I have absolutely no one then the only things I have to lose is just what I have left, and well eventually I will lose them ALL anyway.

I think it's easier to not get so emotionally attached to stuff I owned overtime compared to when you are with someone in a committed relationship as the thought of losing them is just terrible, because you would have been very emotionally attached and invested in them thus it would hurt so much more compared to having absolutely "no one" to lose. There will still be hurt, pain and and suffering regardless in some form or way because that's just the way it's going to be, either more or less.

• I have been single for over 5 years now. There are times when I feel lonely, and crave for a partner. But this is not a constant feeling. I enjoy the freedom and independence that comes along with being a single man.

I would probably WANT to find a partner and settle down eventually, but I don't think I would NEED a partner. So I voted C.

• I think I could be alone forever. I think I could have a partner too. I'm happy either way and very happy right now being single. I'm not willing to compromise my freedom, and lower my standards or settle for less to simply not be alone. Being married or dating isn't always all it's cracked up to be. It can be a living hell or awesome depending on a lot of things.

Being in a relationship has advantages. So does being alone. I can do whatever I want, where I want, how I want, when I want without having to concern myself with how my activities may or may not impact my girlfriend or wife, what their desires are or limit my life voluntarily in the best interest of my girlfriend or wife. I don't have to answer to anyone but God and myself. If I want to buy something expensive, stay out with the guys until 4:00 AM, or watch football all day on Sunday, I don't have to worry about how my choices will impact or be approved of or not. I damn sure don't have to deal with disapproving glances from wife upon arrival home after playing cards with the guys until 4:00AM or buying my 15th gun at a price of $1,000 dollars on a whim from a wife. I don't have to deal with nagging for watching Football all day on Sunday and not spending time with my girlfriend. That said I have total freedom.

Both marriage and relationships have their rewards and liabilities. Ask a divorced guy if his marriage was worth it after his wife cheated with a guy, divorced him, took 1/2 his business and he now pays $700 a month in alimony. Ask another guy who's been happily married for 50 years. Either outcome is possible or an outcome in the middle. Marriage is a risky proposition and I loose nothing by being single. I miss out on certain things too, but to me it's fine for the gain of total freedom. Same goes for dating. Relationships can be very risky propositions too.

For me I'm fine being single. If the right gal comes along, I might consider dating and after a lengthy courtship marriage. If not, I'm fine with that too. I won't compromise on my standards to achieve that and greatly value my total freedom so much I'm not sure I'm willing to give that up for anyone. I don't have any relationship drama to deal with. I don't have the numerous possible advantages of a relationship either. I'm not lonely. I have my family and friends to hang out with when I don't want to be by myself.

It would take one hell of a girl to convince me to give up total freedom for a relationship or marriage.

• I think I need a great relationship with a great woman in my life. Now, knowing how things happen, I probably won't have that, or if I do, it won't happen until I'm really old.

But either way, I'll need great friends. While I have some good ones, they are few and far between, most live really far away from me, so spending that quality time together seems next to impossible.

• I don't usually care about having a partner or not until someone shows interest in me. I don't need companionship to be happy. If it happens it happens but if it doesn't then it doesn't lol

• A lot of women show interest in me but but the feeling isn't mutual. I need someone I need someone I want to make love to and cuddle with and be with each day... What I don't need is a girl I only want to fuck...

• That makes sense.

• For one it's great to have your own ambitions. I'm not even half close where I want to be atm, but I'll make sure I get there. I work hard every day for it and never leaves my mind.

Being with someone has to ALWAYS be secondary, you don't need to be with anyone and certainly you can't make it a priority and put it on top of your own goals. Sure, the company is nice and all but if someone wants to be with you cool, if not the door is always open. I'm not married (and not even remotely thinking of it), so whoever wants to be there can enter and then leave if they wanted to. No reason to commit, or sacrifice what I worked hard for at this point.

Honestly, not all relationships have to be built around drama and bullshit fights. Those type of things come from insecure and abusive people, who can't even hold their own candle. Some people haven't even figured out themselves, so how do you expect them to maintain any relationship?

My only advice is to keep working on your own stuff, if you don't want to commit that is perfectly understandable, specially if you end up with someone abusive (everyone makes bad characters judgement after all) but that doesn't mean you can't date. Just don't put yourself too much out there, for anyone.

• You remind me of my friend nick but he's a player, he gets all these pretty ass girls and the trip and fall all over bus nuts cuz he's a pretty boy

• Need, no... but wanted a partner yes. but before getting married i had sort of come to a place in life where i felt like i could be happy if i never found a partner.

funny after coming to that realization i found a partner

• I don't know, help me choose.

I really want a partner to be with for life. Someone who makes me happy and I make them happy, but I'm fairly certain that I could live life alone and be content. Although, I do need children. That is something that I could not do without as I get older.

• Well sometimes a partner doesn't always equal children because some partners run away as soon as they hear the word (pregnant) or some partners change and you begin fighting and arguing and you separate eventually. Or some partners are just not reborn cheaters and you separate no matter what happens. I would love a child but I personally choose to have a child what do respectable educated woman That's faithful and loyal to me... For someone like me, taming a woman is easy But I choose not to taim women that want to Rome the streets like a tumble weed... Partnership and love is very very difficult and has hurtful moments, there's no question about it. But being alone is very hurtful and painful as well. It's up to you to decide which one brings you more pain, women can say and do things that will crush a man and change his life forever but being single brings emptiness and lonliness. This is the reason I'm single... I've been hurt twice in the past and it changed me forever

• The hard part is finding someone to spend your life with to begin with. Because everybody's outlook & views on life changes constantly. It's really weird no days that you find a couple that lived to be in the 80s and they're still together. Usually people separate after five or six years much time together. You might get a couple decks 10 or 15 years but somewhere along the line they usually lose love for each other and they're just with each other for the sake of not being alone. Only thing I can honestly tell you is good luck in your search and from the way things are going, I'll probably need luck to. Lol

• Thank you thank you. I'm certain I will. Just a thought, just because something can happen doesn't mean you should live your life in fear that it will.

• I would like to have a parter to experience life with, but I understand that I'm a very unique person and I may never find someone like me.

• When you say your unique what do you mean by that?

• I mean that I'm not your average guy. For example I have a very strong drive for my career and if a woman can't except that my career will have to come first at times then it will never work. Sadly few women will make that sacrifice.

• I am so used and conditioned to being alone that if I never ever get into another relationship then I won't be dying a sad man, what worries me is that I'll get too old and will have no one around but if that does happen then I will join activity clubs and meet new friends that way. I would love to be married to the right woman, have children and be the Dad to them that I wish I had (coming from a broken home isn't great) but alas if it's not meant to be, that's okay, no harm done, no regrets, no anger or bitterness. I'll deal with the cards that life gives me and I'll make the most of life.

• Being alone is kinda boring after a while, but then again, maybe I just need to learn to be a bit more independent

• Nah I agree dude, I been single for a veeerryyy long time.. I'm about to lose my mind but I'm staying single cuz honestly dude I'm afraid to get my heart broken again. That crap hurts like hell every single time and it changes me into some kind of depressed anti social loser... I hate that part...

• I just taught myself to ignore my desires and stay solo...

• I feel I need one. I'm so unhappy alone, people try to say I'm lucky but that's their opinion not mine. The lack of a companion or anyone to talk to has a negative effect on how you feel daily and really goes against what humans are, social creatures. I want to talk to someone about my day, spend time doing things together, hearing we love one another, and knowing she wants me as much as I want her.

• I vote A. I've been single LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG enough. LOL!

• I do. Mostly becasure I have never had one before and doesn't look like I'll ever get one -_-

• I do actually need another person. Sadly that doesn't mean I'd be good for other people. Such a dilemma.

• im not for being alone, no way, im def a people person, but i do like my space sometimes.

• I'm kind of a mood swinger do I need my space to but I also like to share my feelings with one special person so it's hard to invision being alone forever

• ya man i feel you

• Never had one so it's hard to say. But I'd love to have one cause boy do I feel really sad being alone sometimes.

• Why have you never had one?

• Shit thats rough man, sucks you've gone through that. I definetely know that feeling of being a backup, I can smell it a mile off now. A few girls that were flirting with me massively just tugged me along until they were sure someone else was the better pick than dropped me and all contact. But you know you have to keep believing that someone out there will treat you right and it'll be worth it in the end.

Yeah thats good advice about keeping it interesting, but when they don't get back, they think ur desperate if you message them again even if its after a while so sonetimes you just can't win.

• Yeah ur right, sometimes it's better to Just cut your losses and love on I guess

• Yes I get lonely a lot and want a girl companion, but I suck at making friends so that'll never happen. I'm thinking about getting a cat to keep me company, cats are cool.

• I don't need anybody. I've been standing on my own 2 feet since I was 15. A girlfriends nice but living on my own is cool too. I'm just out of a 10 year relationship. I'm not chasing another 1.

• People go crazy without some form of companionship

• I'm almost at that stage lol the people I have verbal contact with arc the people I want to separate myself from, (my parents)😒 lol

• Perhaps I'm surroundings self with the wrong type of people, I clearly feel like shit. Bring in Los Angeles is difficult cuz nearly everyone has migrated to the mind state of fugk buddies but I don't like that shit... I prefer to have an actual partner in crime

• But like I said in another comment, I'm a lion it's other lions and softness isn't really tolerated... Peoples mind state is (I need my space) lol everyone just wants to fuck and move on, I'm not with all that. I don't like sharing myself with the world... Sigh

• Yep I need a dog

• Eh, voted C. I'm introverted and I spend a lot of time alone, but I can feel lonely sometimes. An entire life with no one to hold onto doesn't sound great.

• I've been single for way to long, so hard to meet the "right" person, when it's already hard to meet anyone. Being single does have a lot of advantages, but in my opinion it gets too lonely. And things shouldn't be what makes you happy.

• It'd be nice to have a companion, but I don't need one.

• Im good use to think i will find a girl and be like you and me vs the world beautiful. I had it and know its over. Really i'm fine with it being me vsing the world :)

• I can survive without a companion.

I still fucking prefer having one though

• I'm 26, still a virgin, never had a girlfriend, and never been on a date. I want a companion but I don't think that will ever happen. Some of us guys are screwed for life when it comes to getting a girlfriend..

• I'd like to have one but I can see myself being alone forever.

• Why do you see yourself being alone forever?

• I'm not a talkative person so I basically never meet people. And I'm sure I'm beyond picky so I'd probably never find someone I really like. I've only talked to like two girls in my life on a fairly consistent basis because we happened to sit next to each other in the college class. Other than that I've never talked to any girls and those two it was just friendly

• Life is too short to stay quiet and there's a really exciting world out there, all you honestly need to do is ask a girl to have lunch with you sometime or something... If she says no then move on to the next. If she says yes then your winning

• I'm quite capable of being alone forever, but I really want to have kids.

• More from Guys
    7