Do you ever forgive a partner who cheated? Is there a way to move on?

My boyfriend cheated and we did break up over it. He begged for another chance and because I love him, I gave him it. He promised it would never happen again. But I'm just having bad feelings about it and I can't stop picturing them together. Will I ever get pass this and trust him again?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can forgive, but if it's not that serious (as in kids) then I'm out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think I ever have forgiven any of my ex's for doing so. I don't think I can live with the mentality of thinking they would be with me and possibly cheat.. again. So I just leave them.

What Guys Said 2

• I'd like to think I'd forgive. I'm not perfect myself. That's why I don't cheat. I'd rather not be a hypocrite.

• not if he did it just to do it.

What Girls Said 2

• Personally, I don't think anyone can get past it. Trust is the foundation for every relationship , and once it's broken you can never get the same level of trust back with that person again. He may never cheat again, but he has shown what his potential is. How can you really trust him a second time around after he's already gave you one good reason not to trust him.

. Forgiveness doesn't mean you are condoning what he did , it means you are not going to allow the hurt to control your life and emotions. That is not easy to do when he's still part of your life. Unless you let go of the hurt you will never be happy together.

I would never give someone a second chance if they betrayed me, because that would be giving them my consent and the opportunity to hurt me again. I have boundaries and if someone steps over them... I cut all contact. I would never cheat so I'll never accept less than I'm willing to give.

You have to set standards in a relationship and if someone doesn't rise to yours , then you should never lower yours to theirs.

• I think you deserve better than that. It's not like someone put a gun in his face and told him ''cheat or else you're dead''. He made a conscious choice to be with another girl the day he decided to step out of the relationship.

Don't settle for less, If you never cheated yourself and would never do it, don't you think you deserve that respect too?