Another question on male birth control: what do you think will happen to the world if male birth control ever goes on the market?

honestly, I think population would drop drastically. I believe that's part of the real reason there isn't any now.

I meant to type male birth control pill

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree. If both genders could decide not to have children, it could cause a crash in the birth rate so huge that it will effect society as a whole. How that would affect us I can't say. Going to sperm banks may become the norm for women that want kids, but can't find a man that wants to have kids with her.

We may develop an artificial uterus to make it easier on men to be single fathers if they can't find a woman that wants to have a child with them. Some countries may even out law birth control for some people, do to how serious the population crash might become.

There will still be people that want kids, but the odds of them meeting each other and want to have each others children, would require a huge change in our way of thinking. For one thing men will be less likely to want a child at the same age a woman wants a child, and men may not be willing to go off the pill if custody laws don't become more fair to men. Regardless of what happens, it will have a huge impact on society.

• the sperm bank thing sounds a little exaggerated. there would still be men who do want families, they would just be planned, started later.

again, there would still be women who want kids. still would have surrogate mothers if a man couldn't find one.

oh, wow! interesting take. I never thought if an impact on custody laws.

• There are already sperm banks and it is easy for a woman to get a hold of a guys sperm. If it gets harder to get sperm then sperm banks could become more normalized. I am not talking about some extreme version where women can ONLY go to sperm banks to get pregnant.

Surrogate mothers are a legal nightmare. It is illegal to even pay a woman to be a surrogate, as that is seen as taking advantage of poor women. So even finding one is difficult. If a guy can't find a woman to start a family with, he is even less likely to find a woman willing to have his child and then give up custody to the man for free. It just isn't a practical solution.

I imagine that depending on how technology develops we are likely to see a mixture of all of these changes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh man, it would be awesome! Over 50% of pregnancies are unplanned so even if we could cut that in half it would be huge. There would also be fewer cases of people stealing sperm etc... I honestly don't see why guys aren't thrilled about the prospect.

What Guys Said 10

• It depends on how available it becomes and how effective it is. I think it will mainly help middle class people. I feel like low income areas will still have high rates of unplanned pregnancy.

So it will decrease the birth rate for middle and upper-class people but the birth rate among low income people will probably stay about the same.

• Self inflicted genocide

• laugh out loud. I don't think it'd get that bad. a lot of people will still want kids. or simply not be interested in taking the pill.

• they've existed for years. there's always some excuse not to release them.

• I'm sure if they hit the market a lot of guys will be into the idea of using it. Kind of odd they are holding it back

• It does exist, it's called a condom. If you don't think a condom counts the a vasectomy certainly is no different than some of the options women have. But you are referring to the pill aren't you, which leads me to ask why you think men would take it any more than women do?

• I'm meant to type male birth control pill

• Currently most pregnancies are unplanned because they occur with people who are two young to want children yet, and a large portion of those pregnancies are handled with abortions. As the people who don't want kiss YET get older and into a more secure position financially they will want to have children (in many cases) and would just have the same number of children later in their life. So the largest effect would be a temporary drop in birth rates and a significant overal drop in abortion rates.

• most women having abortions are in there 20s. while you can argue early 20s may be too you, mid to late are not.

and that has nothing to do with what impact men also taking a birth control pill would have.

• Male birth control is available now in 2 forms: abstinence and condoms.

• Gold diggers the world over would instantly shit themselves.

• It's funny you should say that. Since the advent of birth control, their has been a huge power imbalance in favor of women because ultimately they chose (through choice of contraception, or maternal rights) whether a baby would be born and males have had very little say in the matter. With male birth control men could choose whether they would like to get a girl pregnant or not, which would change social dynamics immensely.

• BraveHeart's right.
    Why would men be any more responsible than women in this issue?
    Are you just saying it'd be a lot more effective, or that the combination of both would result in many fewer unplanned pregnancies?

• they would be equally responsible. same as now. and yes to your last question.

• Oh ok.
      MRA = Men's Rights Activist
      I don't believe in conspiracy theories. People aren't smart enough to pull them off in general.
      I may or may not agree with parts of the article though ;)

• I don't know if I necessarily agree or disagree, but it's definitely interesting.

• I don't think that many would take it. I personally wouldn't because there's side effects to everything so I wouldn't take it.

• I think a ton of men would for the simple fact they wouldn't have to rely on a woman's word that she is

• Roe vs Way changed a lot of our population. Keep the politics out of it please. If Roe vs Wade never happened there would be twice the size of under privileged kids living on the streets and ghetto and a ton of crime would of resulted from it. Abortion has helped our population in the US. Our population only drops if people die. You would somehow get a number of women who kept babys and who didn't. That would get you a number of how much our population is affected by unplanned pregnacies. Our population will decrease and it will happen soon with the babyboomer generstion passing away. Nowadays people don't want that many kids. One is enough. Now if male or even female birth control was widely available to people around the earth. Our population over time would decrease.

• abortion didn't cause that. women finally being able to learn birth control did. not just the pill, but prevention in general. that's why lower educated women/girls still have such a high rate of unplanned pregnancies.

• Yep, men will love it. Finally will give us some say in reproduction.

Women will hate it because they will lose much of their power over men.

• another guy brought up power. I never thought of it that way, but did find an interesting blog post about it

What Girls Said 0