When you're on a blind date, would you split the tab?

This is the first date and you barely know the other person. The date could go well or it could go bad. Is the guy still expected to pay for the meal?

• Yes, the guy should pay even if he doesn't know the girl at all.
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Outdated gender roles say a man should pay and more enlightened modern views say the parties should split the bill or take turns when dating continues.

A blind date however is more a mutual thing as in the man hasn't asked the woman out whereby he'd be more realistically expected to pay since he asked her out. I'd be in the camp if I ask a woman out I'd pay and if she was an awesome woman at some point in our dating she'd offer to split or take turns paying.

If I'm on a blind date I'd want to split the bill. There would be pressure to 'be a man' and pay or face looking bad in her eyes but I'd feel more comfortable splitting the bill. Then at the end of the date if I enjoyed the date and wanted to see her again I'd ask and assuming splitting the bill didn't get me discounted offer it be my treat.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like people make way to big of a deal out of this.. Just split the bill on the first date. You both agreed to go out and eat so why does the guy have to pay? Just split it on the first date and if things go well you can take turns paying for one another on your next dates.

What Guys Said 22

• Split.. I'm not a charity. I have no money as it is..

• i always offer to pay. i hope that a girl is willing to offer to at least split it but i always offer to pay the whole thing

• I have never been on a blind date, but as a matter of policy, I always prefer to pay completely for the first date. After that, I prefer to split, or take turns.

• I personally would insist on paying the meal but if the girl wanted to pay or split the tip I wouldn't have a problem at all.

It really depends on what they agree on though.

I'll always try to make sure my date (s) are well taken care of; a complete gentlemen.

• Men should always pay.

It's pure game theory. If the guy pays, and offers the girl to pay for the next thing, then this isn't something that will ruin his chances for whatever he might want to pursue. If he doesn't pay, then he's going to miss out on sex with a gold digger.

Pay up. If you can't afford an extra lunch portion, then you could at least spend the extra energy that would have been wasted on figuring out who should pay, on trying to make more money.

• On any event where you are participating together with another person, for example, dining together the bill should be split based upon respective value.

• Yeah I'd split the bill. I don't follow traditional dating stuff like the guy always paying.

• No each party should pay for themselves

• I think first dates the guy should pay

• Blind date or no, I always split the tab until I'm in a relationship with her.

• I am old school, so always pay

• Generally I would pay for the bill but if I would be offered to split I wouldn't say no :P It's like a token of politeness from me to pay the bill. No idea where I got it from.. I just have it.

• I think always splitting it is easier so I would do that.

• I'd split, yea

• I will always pay the bill

• A chivalrous guy will always pay the bill.

• The guy is never expected to pay for the entire meal.

• depends how the date is

• If a blind date goes bad and I have zero interest in seeing her again why the fuck would I still pay for her food? I mean I have no reason to impress her. I didn't eat her food. It may not be all gentleman like but I'm not walking around paying for every women's food because she's a woman who talked to me while she ate. It's a gesture of appreciation of thier time so if I didn't enjoy the time I'm not just gonna let you bum a free meal off me. I really hate how the compassionate gesture of paying for a person's food has been turned into a dating expectation. Women have jobs and not all of them work as prostitutes so I'm not gonna throw my money at them like they do.

• I don't necessarily think the guy "should" pay but personally I would try to because the money just wouldn't mean that much to me. It's not like I would be taking a blind date to a really fancy place and the $50-$100 a night's entertainment would cost isn't enough money to worry about.

• Neither is really expected to do anything.
    If the guy asked the girl out he should probably at least offer though.
    Had girls offer me the same but never accepted it, we normally end up having to agree to split it.

What Girls Said 14

• I would pay for my meal on a first date. I think treating someone is nice, and great to do in a relationship as well as outside of one. However, it would be more acceptable for him to pay if he invited me out. Otherwise, I would expect to pay for my portion.

• Isn't the poll kind of the same thing?

You asked if you should split the tab, but option 1 that says yes implies the opposite with the "the guy should pay even if he doesn't know the girl at all".

And then option B just answered NO to whether the tab should be split.

But either way, the tab should be split unless either of the party offers / insists that they won't let you leave unless they pay/

• For me it's split but if we went on a second date or if I knew the guy and he brought me on a date that was very expensive I would be honest that I don't have a lot of money haha but if I brought him on the date and it was to expensive for him I pay. Overall it's not something I would think about really worry about money isn't going to change my opinion on my date and there is alway dates that you don't even need money for example beaches :)

• no of course not!

• Good question. No clue.

In dating shows that I have seen though, men always pay for the first date (Millionaire Match-maker, that VH1 show with the male host). Blind dates are kind of simply set up with no one asking each other out.

• Who did the asking out on the first date? I've asked out two guys before and would pay the whole date if they had let me. One of them only let me pay 1/2 the bill and the other pay most of it.

The one time I was asked out and I ended up splitting the bill was because the date was so disgusting and I wasn't planning to see him again, not out of kindness. That guy had bad table manners, kept eating fast with his mouth open, dripping sauce too and burping.

• I always split. The guy probably doesn't have that much money either. I don't like chivalry.

• The guy is never expected to pay for the meal for me, regardless of the circumstances around it.

• I always try to pay my share but sometimes he will be very insistent that I don't and rather than get into an argument I tend to let him pay for me.

• I'd split the tab.

• I often pay for the guy as well, or at least split.

• I always split the bill unless the guy insists on paying.

• Yes. It is only fair.

• Honestly I never paid for my first date. I RARELY pay for my partner meals, but I do give presents, cook for him, lend him some cash if it's necessary.