What does this mean?

Okay so I really like this guy & this guy just so happens to be my guy best friend. And I have liked him for the longest time. And well I told him I really liked him, and he changed the subject after that. And then I told him that I wanted him to be honest & that I wanted to know if he felt the same way. He said he only feels for me as a friend. I should probably also mentioned that we have dated twice...

well then he said that he doesn't want to hurt me, because every time we date he hurts me in some sort of way and it makes him feel bad. And that he doesn't want to ever hurt me in any way.

And then I told him that I don't care about getting hurt, and then he said that he cares about hurting me because I am one of the best friends he has ever had in his life. And that I am a very awesome person...

and now he keeps calling me his best friend.

But I don't want to be his best friend, I want to be more than friends and I won't be okay if he dates someone else. And now I feel hurt, and if I can't date him then I don't even want to be friends with him.

What do I do? What does this mean?

• I should quit being friends with him
  • I should continue being friends with him

What Guys Said 2

• no one knows what it means, but it's provocative... IT GET'S THE PEOPLE GOIN'!!!

in a somewhat more serious note, you aren't friends with him. stop pretending that you are, like you said in the beginning. this is really stupid and this is why i don't get people. since you don't want to be his best friend and just interested in being with him, you aren't interested in being with him. cause if you were, you would care for his feelings and realize that you like him for him and not because he's hot.

• Welcome to how a guy feels about a girl he really likes and she just wants to be friends

What Girls Said 1

• You have to see things from his point of view. Imagine if this was the other way around. I don't think you will like the fact that even though you don't have the same feelings for him he still wants be your boyfriend keeps on telling you that he wants to be your boyfriend. And because he is your best friend you don't want to lose him. That's the same thing with him. So you can't really push your feelings on to him. Its not even worth it. So then eventually you'll start wondering if he really like u or if he's just dating you because he didn't want to hurt you. He is your best friend so you want him to be happy right? it means moving on and just try to be just friends with him. Trust me this is the best way I know this from a bad experience I lost my best friend who was a guy and he liked me and I didn't feel the same way about him and at the end I just had to stop being friends with him because he kept on telling me he had feelings for me.