Do you find intelligence attractive?

Hey! So I was wondering if you find intelligence attractive? Or do you prefer people who are more average? Or doesn't matter?

Do you prefer dating someone who is more or less intelligent or does it not matter?

thanks for answering! (:

• I'd rather date someone smarter than me
  • I'd rather date someone less smart
  • I'd rather date someone with about the same smartness
  • Doesn't matter
Wow I made this account just to ask this question, and I got so many answers! thanks everyone <3

Most Helpful Guy

• I definitely find intelligence attractive. I would want to be with a woman who's smarter than me, or a woman that I can somehow learn something from. Like others have said, I wouldn't want to have to be the one to keep things interesting all the time, that would be a lot of work and there would be little satisfaction in it for me. I want to have deep, meaningful, and fun conversations about things that enhance my life. I don't want mindless sex. I want to actually have a real connection with someone.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love intelligent men 👓 In my opinion, intelligence is extremely attractive 😍 Sorry, but I'm not willing to date a dumbass 😅🙈 I prefer dating guys more intelligent than me cause it kind of pushes me to get smarter and I like learning new things from a guy ☺💖👌

What Guys Said 56

• How does one define intelligence? It's something science has not been able to qualify or quantify. one attempt was the well-known intelligence quota, the IQ, which is a means of determining--loosely--ones adeptness in rational, logical, mathematical, and verbal fields; but, not any other category. Maybe one or two more. But those are the main ones. We could call that academic intelligence.

When people speak about "intelligence", they're usually speaking about shared views. When one person may hold opinions the complete opposite of someone else's, what, exactly, makes them stupid? That one person does not believe them, of course.

There's also wisdom, which might be construed as a form of intelligence, in which someone makes "wise" decisions and knows a lot about life

There's artistic intelligence, interpersonal intelligence, metaphysical intelligence. Well. There's like 9 different types of intelligence according to one theory.

With this sort of thing, you have to be specific. People don't know what they're talking about when they say "intelligence". It's most often used as a subjective value based on someone's perception of someone else. Some of the most genius ideas have been seen as absolutely insane or retarded. It was only after it had proven true or effective that it was deemed "genius".

People almost always say that intelligence is an attractive feature, but I really wonder what, exactly, they're defining intelligence as.

• Being severely less intelligent is a very unattractive trait. But being the same or higher is typically a positive, even being the "same" is fairly positive. That's how you understand each other best, after all.

But it also depends on how you define intelligence. The definition isn't clear-cut at all.

• It's hard to answer because there are so many types of intelligence: academically, socially, culturally, politically, etc. This type of question can get thrown around quite loosely in the dating world and I think its meaning is rarely captured to it's full extent. There's so much about the world I don't understand, and I was always a slow learner. Despite this I managed to get a University Degree because I work hard and have strong perseverance in finishing things that I start. Does this make me intelligent? I'm not sure, but others seem to think I am intelligent in some ways.

• Intelligence is super sexy to me and the woman's desire and experience to use it in sexual ways is very erotic in indeed.
    Salirophillia is very arousing to me. The ability to play with a guys mind. To edge and entice him for days up to the point of the union is somehow very arousing to me.
    The joining of to sexual minds joining exploring and opening to all things sexual being shared physically is just exquisite to me.

• I've tried dating all of the categories mentioned. Lesser intelligence just ends up with annoyance of seeing a different overall perspective, or lack of ability to understand a concept. Higher intellect can result in intimidation, and quite a few other issues. One of my exes is an astrophysicist. While our conversations were insightful, intriguing, intellectual, and diverse. In the end we realized that inability to learn all terms of advanced quantum mechanics (which she thoroughly enjoyed studying). Became an issue of having specific desires of life in common. The one I've found the most rewarding, is dating a girl who is around the same level of intellect. Conversations flow smoothly, logic is on par, moral understandings are easier to grasp, future desires are among the same wavelength, and the overall environment at home is much more relaxing when you know both parties feel comfortable around one another.

• Yeah I guess, but I don't overrate intelligence when it comes to dating. You can have all the intelligence in the world, yet end up being an jerk. Some people are not very capable on say, mathematics or applied sciences yet they have a more developed artistic side and they're much more interesting, or fun to be around with.

I'd say there must be a good level of intelligence-personality, and never break the threshold of being 100% asshole, or downright idiot.

• Depends what you mean by smart.

I don't really care, as long as they're interesting, I'll even put up with stupidity if they at least know their stupid. Nothing worst than a fool who thinks they know all, and someone who knows they don't know will become smart.

That being said, being smart can also make you interesting.

• The options here aren't a great fit; I find intelligence attractive in itself, but not necessarily smarter than me rather than just as smart: as long as someone is "bright" it's enough. In the same way I like long hair, but it doesn't need to be down to the waist - collar length is every bit as good.

• Out of curiosity, do women even find intelligence attractive? Because I get the highest marks in all of my classes, read a ton of books in my spare time, and actually enjoy learning the course material yet this sort of makes me an oddball in college to most of the really pretty girls who are mostly more simple-minded and athletic.

• I'd pefer a girl who can proof me wrong when we have a disccusion then a girl who's always wrong and talks bullshit herself

A smart girl at least would be able to make her own opinion and her own arguments

• There are studies which show that high IQ males have significantly less sexual partners than low IQ males.

I personally know few guys who are IQ 140 and still virgins. I also know guys who are low IQ, but studs, aggressive and dominant and they're fucking girls in weekly basis. Some girl even told me than in reality she doesn't give a fuck about intelligence, just about guy being "manly".

It appears that intelligence itself is not attractive, but what's attractive to women is how much of money can you make with intelligence. LOOKS. MONEY. STATUS.

• I would love to date someone smarter than me because it would give me the opportunity to strive to become her level. It's a challenge for me to know more and to constantly grow as a human being. I think that's incredible!

• I don't find it attractive when a girl is a total braniac, always talks about subjects that bore me, etc.

But yes, I'd like to have a girl who Is intelligent enough to really connect with on an emotional level and have common interests with.

• I would love to date someone who can run loops around me. Unfortunately (?) I'm a clever cookie so I settle for roughly the same.

Not saying that this is the absolute defining characteristic of a good partner, but it'll get her closer, definitely.

• Turn on, I'd prefer them to be smarter or just as smart as long as they're not arrogant because lack of intelligence is a very unattractive trait.

• i love someone on the same level of me, someone with a deep connection who can understand me just as much as i can them

• no. intelligence doesn't make someone suddenly aroused. i mean it proves that the chick is bearable at least from an intellectual standpoint, but i'm not any more attracted to her if she is smart as opposed to just average.

• Intelligence isn't attractive to me, but a certain basis-level of intelligence is necessary for a relationship. There are more important attributes though.

• well i would rather date an above average girl, average or more is good enough for most guys but less and it starts becoming a problem , i do want a smart girl but too much can also be annoying and tiring and its not fun at all , i say slightly above average is great when it comes to girls, cause more and they start acting weird

• I would date someone smarter because it would push me to be better

• Not simply on its own. Sure I like an intelligent girl but if she's intelligent but callous, arrogant or has other such flaws, it does nothing for me. I'd rather date a fun and kind girl who might be a little dim than a cold intellectual any day.

• I am attracted to smart women.

• Intelligence is a major plus in my book, but I'm not one to judge my own intelligence against others, so the provided answers made this hard for me to pick an answer.

• I find it very attractive.

• Hell yeah, smarter the better. For some reason i find it so attractive, it gets precedence over looks if she isn't an old ugly witch in the looks department.

• A of course. Odds are if she's smart, then she's healthy and fit and has common sense.

• Doesn't matter as long as she has a good baseline level of intelligence

• Doesn't really matter to me

how could I know her smartness without knowing her?

• id take just as smart.. cuz im a guy and i can't have someone more education than me. and an idiot is is just ffrankly annoyng to have to explain everything to her when she gets lost... so yea id take just as smart

• More from Guys
    26

What Girls Said 37

• intelligence is sexy af.

• I'd rather have someone who is at or about equal to my I. Q., I'm no candidate for MENSA but I am plenty smart, if my GPA is any indicator, Civil Engineering major with a minor in Mechanical Engineering, near the top of my class. My husband is a mere underachieving Communications major who could be at the top of any field he chooses,,, I like the challenge more than the comfort, which is what I think he likes about his chosen field.

• It definitely makes me happy when I hear about girls majoring in STEM. No offense intended, but STEM is by so freaking far dominated by males.

• Whether just as smart or smarter, it doesn't matter to me. But he's got to have some brains. I can't be the only intelligent person in the relationship.

• Definitely. I'm not intimidated by it.
    =)

But if it's gone to the person's head and they think they're God's gift to the world... I'd skip that person entirely.

• Yeah, that's usually not intelligence, but rather narcissism, which granted, can work sometimes, if actually backed up by real intelligence and not just data memorization. Think abstractly, creatively, build new ideas.

• Intelligence is a huge attraction. I do prefer men who are smarter than I am because I like learning new things and being able to hold an intellectual conversation with someone can be very stimulating.
    However, if one is cocky with their intelligence and makes out like they are smarter than everyone else, I find that to be one of the most unattractive traits one can possess.

• They say that the most successful relationships are when your partner is as smart or a little smarter than you.

• Intelligence is HOT.

• I am highly sapiosexual, so yes... intelligence is very important. Necessary for me to find someone attractive. Thankfully, my man is extremely intelligent and he uses it well. He is always saying something witty and using his mind to make me laugh. He can carry on a conversation with pretty much anybody about anything. He is also academically intelligent.

• I find intelligence very attractive. Someone smarter then me or at the same level of intellect is very attractive

• Intelligence is very attractive. I want to be able to hold conversations of all types with whoever I'm with. However, if he were to put me down or rub how smart he is in my face, that's a turn-offs.

• Someone smarter or same as me. I voted for A tho, I like learning and smart people always have interesting stuff to say.
    Of course I like intelligence and I find it attractive. Sense of humor and intelligence are the most important things to me.

• I think if I had to pick one thing that is necessary for my partner it would be intelligence. I am crazy about learning and knowledge and I want someone just as passionate as me. I'm always into intellectual discussions and I would love it if he was too. Also, humor and wisdom also come with intelligence usually so it's a win-win.
    Whether we're about the same level of smartness or him a bit smarter, intelligence is a must.

• Intelligence is attractive, sure, but not an essential trait for me when dating. If they're obnoxiously academically intelligent, that's a huge turn off, but I'm personally attracted to a guy who's socially intelligent and people smart.

Being interesting and able to communicate well honestly, is more important to me than intelligence though, I can definitely deal with it if the person I'm dating isn't smart/as smart as me.

• As long as they aren't dumber than me I don't care

• Okay, well I'm not exactly the brightest crayon in the box, but I love learning and I think that's what matters. I don't want an extremely smart dude/ huge nerd cause I feel like that'd make me feel insecure, but then I would learn new things and be inspired and motivated to learn from him. So I think slightly smarter is good for me just not a genius and so long as he isn't arrogant about his intelligence I'm also good with that haha.

• I LOVE it! I voted a, but I didn't see C. Maybe C or D.

• Intelligence is extremely attractive. But I didn't vote. Someone can be less intelligent than you in one way but more in another.

• Hell yes!! It's even better if you guys can spend all night talking and never get bored. I also freaking love guys who are passionate about something.

That and a nerdy face is all I need lol

• I do find intelligence attractive. I don't find know-it-alls attractive tho.

• I would like dating someone smarter than me or about the same level of smartness as me as long as they don't become to crazy -always correcting what people say- type I would like it if he would be able to take or make a dumb joke without always pointing out how it's incorrect because sometimes grammer nazi's can be annoying as specially if someone like me who likes using a lot of puns.

• Yeah that's sexy

• smarter. i think its so attractive that i learn things of him ^^

• yes i appreciate intelligence :P and its always a bonus when the guy's smarter than me

• Knowledge can be impressive and stimulating. I want a smarter guy because I hate explaining things

• it's attractive but not a huge priority

• I think intelligence is hot! but also it could be subjective.

• I'm kind of weird: I'm a total Type A, so I hate it when someone is better than me at something I pride myself in (e. g. my intelligence), but I can't stand it when someone is stupid.

• Yes. Intelligence is definitely a +ve.

• More from Girls
    7