How much of a turn off is smoking?

If you met a person that smoked a pack every 2 days about, I know that it would be a turn off but enough to be a deal breaker, even if they were willing to quit for the right person? If you could explain your reasoning as well that would be cool.
No hate please, you have your vices and I have mine!

• Doesn't bother me.
  • Bothers me, but not a deal breaker.
  • Bothers me, not a deal breaker if they're willing to quit.
  • Absolute deal breaker.
Goodness, good thing most of the people that I know smoke too. I feel so unloved! (jokes, obviously. I respect that you guys are healthy!)

Most Helpful Guy

• Since I smoke, in the process of quitting, it wouldn't be a deal breaker but the issue is that if I were to completely quit and my girlfriend was a smoker then it'd make it much harder to quit. It's the same with being around friends who smoke when you're trying to quit.

That being said, I think smoking is more of a mental addiction than a physical one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dated a smoker before. He was actively trying to quit, so I had no problem with it. He did not accomplish that while we were together and as far as I know still has not. I am not sure if I would want to go down that road now. I do not want to have to deal with the health effects of second hand smoke.

What Guys Said 12

• I HATE it, I could never date a girl who smokes.
    I dealt with my father's smoking habits for 18 years and hated it, so I'm not gonna be the rest of my life suffering that again.

• Deal breaker

• I voted C. I think you should want to quit for yourself and not for the right person though.. Changing for other people usually isn't a good thing in my experience.

• I hate the smell, it's expensive and unhealthy... so pretty much a no-go for me. but I might be willing to look over it if she is serious about quitting

• Hate the acrid smell, and cigarette smoke gives me a headache. Dealbreaker...

• Bothers me a lot.
    We all have issues, but few have the repercussions of smoking.
    I voted C, but quit for yourself, not some guy or girl.

• It's proper vile; It's possibly the most disgusting thing a person can do. Your breath smells like shit, your teeth are all tinged, your gum line is usually all discoloured, your tongue is all caked with shit and discoloured, your kisses taste like an ash tray, smoker's cough is disgusting to be around, your entire body smells like smoke.

It's bloody god awful.

• If I could I'd put smokers in a concentration camp

• Not wanting to socialize with smokers is of course your choice, but your comment is quite ignorant.

• Well, actually, they'll be leaving the concentration camp by smoke... if you know what I mean hahaha xD

• Sigh, I'm going to disable this further opinions on this comment. If you can't be respectful of others choices that don't affect you, you should keep your opinion to yourself.

• Since i've stopped its a total turn off for me.

• I can't be around the smoke

• Sorry. Kissed a smoker back in my mid-teens. Never doing that again. Yuck.

If she actually manages to quit for my sake though, I'd be very impressed. Maybe a tiny bit intimidated by her commitment to our relationship at such an early stage.

• Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

Sorry, but for me, that's been true >< (She smoked very little, and had brushed her teeth too) Very noticeable ashy taste.

There are other people who can deal with it better.

If they were willing to quit? Could work, but quitting is hard, takes time, and no kissing (or much close cuddling) until then...

• Haha, you know what I can't taste/smell cigarettes anymore but I bet it is exactly like licking an ashtray.

What Girls Said 17

• Absolute deal breaker. Smokers need to quit for themselves, not someone else. If you quit for someone else, you're much more likely to start smoking again at some point because deep down you're not willing to change. Even if you still are in a relationship with this person.
    I would not date a smoker. Not even if he promised to quit.

• For some strange unknown reason I actually find a guy who smokes a cigarette to be more attractive, but I wouldn't like him smoking a pack every 2 days or anything. Just a cigarette every once and a while, like when he's super stressed out or something, that's what I find kinda hot. The whole chain-smoker bit is not hot, however. Smoking can lead to lung cancer, asthma and other health risks, and I want my man to be around for a long time.

• I'm allergic to the smell so it's a huge no. Plus, I'm super lazy and HATE cleaning the walls.

• If the person is trying to quit, cool, I'm down. But I don't want to be with someone who smokes, just too reckless.

• Deal breaker, even if they say they'll quit because they never do. Most of my exes said they'd quit and they would sneak and smoke I could taste it when they kissed me. Granted that's not why I broke up with them but I just couldn't be with someone long term knowing they weren't going to be healthy in the long run.

• An absolute deal breaker.

• I hate smoking, but it's not a deal breaker if they're willing to quit.

• Abuelito died from lung cancer (he used to smoke a lot), the day he died I decided that I will never go through that again so its a deal breaker for sure.

• I couldn't deal with it honestly the smell drives me crazy. Kissing someone that smokes and the taste on the lips. Yeah I can go on and on.

• I have a smoke fetish, I love the smell. Besides, it looks so hot.
    (I'll get hate for this but I love it, people look attractive)

encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

😍😍

• I have breathing issues and just the smell of it alone, which is really hard to get rid of or hide, would make it so i couldn't breath.

• Smoking could definitely be a deal breaker for me

• Vote A = I am an occasional smoker.

• I hate the smell, but i find its more unattractive when a girl smokes then when a guy does.

• I really dislike when people smoke but I won't stop talking the person for it.

• Nobody on gag smokes has sex or drinks, dw about it.

• It's not a deal breaker for me, but I think I'd prefer to date someone who didn't smoke because I'm an ex-smoker myself. Being with someone who smoked might make it more difficult to stay quit. I wouldn't expect someone to quit for me because I know how difficult it is and I think it's something you can only really do for yourself, when you're ready.