Is it a bad idea to date your best friend?

Me and my Best Guy Friend have been friends for awhile now and our other friends have been trying to hook us up ever since I moved there. They really want me to ask him to the Sadie Hawkins dance but I don't want to ruin whatever friendship we have. Will dating him ruin our friendship when/if we break up?

• Yes, it will make it awkward.
  • Sorta...
  • No, you guys can still be best friends!

Most Helpful Guy

• So long as your willing to risk it all if you break up and don't stay friends anymore. Very few people still have the same closeness they once had as friends even if it's a mutual breakup.

Most Helpful Girl

• you decide if it's worth it. Yes, you could loose your friendship but if you want to date him because you like him that much then by all means go for it!

What Guys Said 5

• At your age, it's probably a good idea. You have a lot in comon, aren't probably looking for a LTR, and are just having fun. Neither of you has baggage, emotional scars from earlier relationships, that are a minefield for 'best friends.'

So go for it, enjoy yourself,

• Sort of awkward as you rarely see bff's go the all the way to marriage. But dating I guess it could work out.

• Awkward when you break up, I guess.

• I'm dating my best friend and it's not awkward

What Girls Said 4

• It truly depends on the break up and how close you are already. This guy that I was best friends with use to do everything with me. We told each other everything and we were together nonstop. We ended up dating for two months and after we broke up, we remained best friends UNTIL he told me he couldn't do be friends anymore because he felt I was holding him back from dating anyone else. Which was messed up.. Because even though we dated before, I never let that show through our friendship and I even tried setting him up with people afterwards to prove that I was okay with him moving on. But apparently he had different plans.

• if you want to date him then go for it, i'm dating my best friend and it's really great! but if you're unsure, don't let your friends push you into it; the derision is up to you. if you're not really into it and you ask him out then things could end badly.

• I'm dating mine and it's not awkward at all. Only do it if you really want this though. :)

• I dated my best friend and after our break-up we don't talk anymore. I lost him as a lover AND a friend. Not sure if it's a good idea.