Underage dating: can a guy get in trouble? Or a girl?

My sister is 16. She is going out with a guy my age, 20. Is this illegal (if they have sex)? Is anyone really going to make a big deal about it? Should I tell my sister that she must break it off?

Most Helpful Guy

• the legality depends on where this occurring. some states do say that 16 is the age of consent

if it is illegal your parents for one may make a big deal about it. if it is illegal, and again it depends where you live, i think you should talk to your sister about the potential consequences. just so she is informed about what's going on. let her know that she may need to keep the relationship a secret or not tell people her real age in case they have an issue with statutory rape

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes he is running the risk of getting charged with statutory rape. This doesn't happen when the genders are switched because our society somehow believes that boys are lucky to have sex with an older female, but young females are to stupid to make decisions for themselves. But they push the "strong and independent" nonsense down our throats, until we act like it then step in and tell us we aren't smart enough to be making our own choices. It's a shit system.

What Guys Said 13

• If one of them is underage, then the other will get into trouble, irrespective of gender. But still, it's almost always the guy who is blamed.

• Age of consent varies state by state (if you live in the U. S.) and by country. In some places, it's as low as 16. Therefore, it may be perfectly legal or clearly illegal for your sister to date that man, depending where you live. If you want to intervene on a moral level, that's your call.

• Depends where you live, but that ma'fucka really is creepy, at that age four years makes a big difference!

• If one of them is underage, then the other will get into trouble. The people most likely to create any trouble are the parents.

• If their ages are within 3 years of each other then they will be protected by the Romeo and Juliet law, but obviously, this is not the case.

• Depending on where you live it might be illegal. He could get in a lot of trouble if your parents wanted to press charges

• That depends on your state if you're in the US. My concern though is what would a 20 years old want in a 16 years old? They're children. I'm 23 and I would have an issue being with a girl as young as 19, but that's just me.

• It depends on your state but if they really like eachother then let them be together just don't announce their age difference

• Highly country dependent. Just google "(Country) consent laws"

• Break it off asap! Never EVER before 18!

• Yes if they have sex he can and will go to jail.

• If the age of consent is 16 where your sister is then no it's not illegal. People ALWAYS assume the guy is a creep but that's not always the case.

• girls are always victims. You can't get in any trouble. The guy's life would probably be WRECKED though.

It's just oppression of men

What Girls Said 3

• There can be a consent document filled out by her parents at the police station. This ensures legality butIso t k ow the laws of where you live.
    Its common for girls to date older guys and her parents have the real power if they charge him, no-one else so he better treat her right.

• depends on the laws where you live. I don't see a problem with it, if the age of consent is 16 or lower it's fine

• In dating a thirty year old so its ok

• Just because you do it doesn't mean it's legal. That depends on where you live. It could be legal where you live and not where he lives. Or visa-versa. Or both could be illegal. Or neither.