Why are men who have affairs with married women never referred to as homewreckers? do they even have a special term?

Most Helpful Guy

• i dont know if they are or not but my guess if not as much because women are held to a higher standard than men in society. Not saying it is correct but is definitely true in some aspects of life. Men usually if held to a standard is by themselves or there peers.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you about the terminology. There are married men at the office who are known to sleep around with other women, and I have heard them called sluts or even m@nwhores, but have never heard anyone call them a homewrecker. I wonder if there is any correlation to the woman usually being referred to as a 'homemaker'?

What Guys Said 15

• I thought they were :S It's a US term I think though and not really used over here. We'd kind of just look down on any man or woman in that situation, regardless even if we didn't have a specific term for it.

I mean, if he's the "homewrecker", what about the woman whose family it was, choosing to do it? I don't think either party are in a particularly good light so it's unfair to just label one of them a homewrecker.

• also, the guy having an affair with a married woman is much more likely to be a homewrecker than a woman having an affair with a married man considering men leave cheating spouses much more than women do.

• Um... this is the first time I hear of them supposedly not being referred as such. Of course they are. Well at least they should be. Cheating and homewrecking is bad m'kay. No matter who does it.

• Men who sleep with married women are homewreckers, I don't know where you heard that they're not. It takes 2 or more people to cheat, both the wife and the man are guilty. But, in this current scenario, the wife is more guilty because she OWES loyalty to the husband and she has the moral obligation while the guy who cheated with her doesn't owe anything to the husband (in most cases) but still does have the moral obligation to not contribute to the destruction of a couple.

• the question say "... never REFERRED to? I didn't say they are or aren't

• Seems fair. I think women rarely get looked on as harshly by society, and that hardly seems fair

• @MargaritaPeach I see what you're saying. The sad part is how cheating became kind of normal in today's culture. Like, it's not a surprise anymore to hear people admitting that they've cheated before... it's crazy.

• I think the term used is A$$H0L3$.

• They are though. Who says they aren't?

• when have you ever heard someone refer to a man as a homewrecker?

• I have been called a homewrecker...

Either way, men are looked down upon too. It is true women have it worse though. Men may be called different names too, but it is for the same reasons which is what matters. But they are still judged for sleeping with a married woman.

• In my opinion, with the married women I slept with, the husbands were either ok with it and knew about it, or the husbands were cheating too and the home was already wrecked. Either way, I don't really care. Judge me how you want :) I don't believe in monogamy or marriage in the first place so why is it my burden to support it? I don't go out of my way to make it happen but if I find a connection I won't ignore it just to maintain someone else's ideals I don't believe in..

• Because it just simply doesn't happen nearly as much. But homewrecker isn't a gender based term, you could totally call a guy like that a homewrecker.

• it isn't gender based, yet no one calls a man a homewrecker. check online, I guarantee you you won't find a single example.

• I don't know about that, I just googled 'male homewrecker' and got a bunch of results, including this one: bossip.com/.../

• I don't know why they aren't given that label. They would be deserving of it in my opinion. They are worthless pieces of shit just the same as any cheating female would be.

• Same term. Its the same

• my point was no one ever actually seems to say it for men though

• it's definitely worse for women. men are usually excused because "it's their nature"

• To me men need to keep it in their pants

• They are also called homewreckers. I'm not sure that it happens that often though.

• asshole is the for people like that

• There's not as standard a term for it, but they do get things like 'scumbag'

• The man is just as bad as the unfaithful wife.

• That is an interesting question. I am trying to think of what i have heard. Its only He had an affair and left. Nothing else. Maybe Asshole but we get called assholes all the time.

• exactly. I wonder how/when calling men assholes for everything became so popular

• I feel like men come up with a million and one ways to insult women but we just revert back to asshole. which is kind of funny considering were supposed to be the more expressive gender.

• Keeping up with tradition? Lol

• I don't know but they should just get their dick cut off for doing that s***

• personally, I blame the person in the relationship, not the person they cheat with. I'm just curious why only women are ever called homewrecker. it's weird

• Because women seduce married men.

Men who have affairs with married women are getting the shorter end of the stick, ie, giving her money, resources, entertainment, a good fuck while she just lies there...

It's not like women are for free.

What Girls Said 2

• Men can be home wreckers too, it's not a female exclusive term.

• Women are always blamed like the scarlet woman and branded homewreckers i believe she is seen as the seductress and should know better in people's eyes NOT to go with a man who she knows is married even if it was him who pursued her.