Do you think its shallow for someone to look for compatible humor in a guy/girl?

Several guys on this site have decided that if a girl finds humor attractive she is shallow.

So not only is it shallow to have physical preferences, it is now shallow to have preferences for personality traits.

One guy has also said that its shallow to be attracted to intelligence.

So to those of you who think it is shallow, what are we allowed to have a preference for? If humor and intelligence are shallow traits to look for, what else can be? Kindness? Honesty, integrity? Basically everything?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah everyone is butthurt and everyone is shallow... Essentially if you're not attracted to someone they'll be pissed that you're not into them. As for being shallow, if you're attracted to a person at all you're shallow otherwise why would you be dating them? People who think they're morally superior because they like people who are borderline if not morbidly obese as opposed to thin girls are the kind of idiots I hate... if you're attracted to someone physically you can be shallow it doesn't actually matter whether the person is thin or large it's the fact you like them based on stupid reasons.

Most Helpful Girl

• Uh, wow. I don't think so, these days if you're not attracted to a certain group of people you'll get bashed for it. (Especially hate hypocritical anti-feminist fucks who think feminists are oversensitive people, some are - but obviously not all, but come right back around and get offended when girls ask for the traits of a decent human being.) Like, "How dare you like someone for their looks and personality, but I want to find a girl with big tits, likes sports and games, does house work chores, does everything, BUT HOW DARE YOU BE ATTRACTED TO ATTRACTIVE PEOPLE AND GOOD PERSONALITIES YOU'RE SO SHALLOW."

How the fuck are you supposed to be attracted to people then? If not by their looks OR personality, when is attraction not shallow? It's like people (both female and male) expect this perfect human being to fall in their lap just because they exist and if they're not that perfect human being's "type" they're automatically shallow and obviously - how dare you have standards.

What Guys Said 10

• Those people don't really know what shallow means.

Justified or not, they're just angry and don't know how to express it, so they try to shame others.

• Wow, those guys are stupid. It is not shallow to find humor and intelligence attractive.

Now, if you were to say something like "If you don't have at least a Master's degree in a STEM field then don't bother talking to me" or "I only date professional comedians", then that would be pretty shallow.

• how does that make you shallow >.<

i have a dark sense of humor, so finding girls with the same as me is pretty hard...
    so when you do find someone with the same you get along well.

• its pretty weird just to ask what they find funny, you usually say a joke to find out but i would probably be banned from the website with my offensive jokes :3

• I don't agree with judging other couples for what attracts them - They do and that is the important thing - If I clicked with a girl over humour why not go for it?

• Nah none of those traits are shallow at all, those are the kinds of things anyone should want to have in a partner especially a good sense of humor.

• Woah really? I don't think it's shallow for a girl to like a sense of humor in a guy. I find it attractive. I like to laugh, crack dumb jokes, and have a good time.

• How is finding humor attractive shallow? If that's ALL you want or need from someone, then that might be shallow, but it's still a weak argument.
    Having a good sense of humor doesn't just mean telling knock knock jokes, it encompasses a huge part of a person's personality.

• This is news to me haha. Who cares what they think.

• i dont think its shallow if you can make me laugh or i make you laugh its good.

• Literally anything that can be found to be attractive can also be found to be shallow by someone else. It just depends on if they personally value that trait or not. The word shallow is so over used that it really doesn't mean anything, except that you have someone that wants to make the other person feel bad. Most likely they have heard the word shallow describe to the traits they like, so they are using it to describe the traits other people like.

If you like humor listen to this... There are three guys walking down the street. Two of them walk into a bar, the third one ducked. lol Get it? I am so funny. :) Don't you wish you could find a smart funny guy like me? Sorry, to break your heart, but you are a bit young for me. Don't worry you will find your own funny guy eventually.

PS I just noticed my sense of humor gets weird when I haven't slept. lol

What Girls Said 5

• Lmao! I think I know who you're talking about! Haha.

It seems like ANY standards we have for guys are considered to be shallow. "Oh what? You want him to be breathing? The poor guy couldn't even get laid when he was alive, and now in his death he still can't because of women's high standards."

I got called shallow because I said I'd never date an obese stalker. And I'm not sure if they were trolling, you never know with these folk, and they said it was shallow and that I have high standards.
    Supposedly that women should be flattered that someone liked them so much. And that if a girl did the same, they'd fuck her or at least give her a date.
    I was like what? And that maybe he's too shy to speak to women because women will humiliate you when rejecting you.

My damn, these guys literally seem to have no standards lol
    It's like no motherfucker, I don't have high standards, YOU have no/low standards.

• Literally we're supposed to date anyone who expresses an interest in us. It isn't about us pursuing our desired we are supposed to cater to some fat stalkers desires.

So the successful model-esque college educated volleyball player is supposed to date the obese 35 year old who lives in his moms basement and jacks off to My Little Pony

• Lol I've said that.

Or if women are so bad, why don't they just stop all contact with us? Including their mothers and family because apparently no decent woman exists -__-

• for Real tho

• Lol, it's not shallow. I have a very strange sense of humor. I know that if a guy didn't have at least a little bit of the same humor as me, we wouldn't work out. He most likely would not feel like we were compatible either and would probably think I was weird.

• Lol, same. I know that people say that when you are joking in a mean way, there is some truth behind it and you mean it but say it in a joke form to make it seem okay, but I'm truly not like that. I have a "friend" who I know is like that and I ignore it, but I wouldn't do that to people. I joke around so much, but I always make sure that my friends know that I don't mean anything by it.

• Yeah exactly lol

• That's dumb. If you want someone who can make you laugh and is intelligent then that's a-okay. You're able to make that judgement.

• These guys are just trying to downplay their own shallowness (focusing too much on physical appearance) by trying to classify non-shallow attractions (such as sense of humor) as shallow.

• I bet those are the friendzone guys, because they seem to think any girl they set eyes on for more than 5 seconds is obligated to date them!