Am I a pedophile?

Am i a pedophile if i date a guy 2 years younger than me? I'm 19. We've been interested in each other since highschool and have been on dates a couple of times. Recently we started hanging out again, but knowing the age difference i refrained myself from doing anything inappropriate. I told my close friends that him and i are talking again and they have been calling me a pedophile non-stop. Keep in mind that they constantly compare me to the 25 dating a 14 year old pedos. Should i just stop seeing him? Or do they need to grow up? Maybe i am a little weird talking to someone younger than me. I don't know.

• Yes stop
  • They need to grow up

Most Helpful Guy

• Jared is a paedophile, you are not a paedophile.

Worst case scenario is you can be convicted of statutory rape if 17 is under the legal age of consent, but that's only relevant if you've two had sex (and if the unlikely situation occurred where he reported you for it). You're not even close to being a cradle robber let alone a paedophile, so just enjoy the dude.

• actually, there's protection for people your age in specific states that basically states if you guys are within a maximum of 3 years age different (I think) it isn't technically statutory rape, so your friends are either just teasing you and you need to calm down or they are retards and need to calm down themselves.

• Your friends are retards, lol. Ignore them and do what you've got to do knowing both that they are stupid people and that they think they're older than they are. 2 year difference between a 19 and 17 year old is nothing, and if they actually think they're 'adults', then they need a reality check.

Currently a paedophile must be at least 16, and that 16 year old must have at least a 5 year difference between them and the child to be considered a paedophile. 2 year difference = close in age exemption in instances where someone has sex with someone under the legal age of consent, voiding a statutory rape charge.

I'm 23 years old and I'm still a kid, realistically; Your friend's are dumb.

• I already kind of screwed up and told him i need time to think about this whole mess i made. I did make sure that none of this was his fault and that he shouldn't worry too much about it. Pretty sure his heart was torn up though. Blaaah im such a horrible person.

Most Helpful Girl

• An age difference of a year or two is pretty irrelevant at your age. Or his age. At 17 a man can make decisions on his own. If you like him, go for it. Next week your friends will find some other childish thing to dwell on. But I have been in your position, and I ended it because the age gap just made things awkward. So I do know how you feel.

• Thank you for the MHO. Are you two still seeing each other?

• no we aren't, it hurts to even think about it but its best for the both of us if we dont see each other.

What Guys Said 7

• Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger. As a medical diagnosis, specific criteria for the disorder extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13.

No, you're not. You're attracted to someone, not only very close to your age, but also at an age at which a lot of people are already fully physically developed or close to being fully physically developed. So I don't see the problem.

• some people don't know what a pedo is... even a 25yo with a 14yo isn't one (that's called hebephile).
    a paedophile is into PREPUBESCENT kids, so usually 11yo or younger

• 2 years difference at 19 and 17 is nothing.

A peado goes after children who do not understand or know about "adult" behaviour.

• no, its 2 years.. nothing

• No you're not

• Do some research on the laws in your state about that, also do his parents know?

• he is 17yr.. not kind of wrong for you to date him

What Girls Said 5

• A pedophile is someone who dates young children, usually prepubescent. There is another word for people who are attracted to mid to late adolescents (ephebophiles). I'd consider you one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephebophilia

• Hold on. You're in that age group. I thought by your description you were 25. No, you're fine. Otherwise, if you were 25, I would consider you as such.

• WTF! THOSE PEOPLE AREN'T YOUR FRIENDS!

• I don't know, just this topic in general makes them seem like shitty friends. They've been there for me numerous of times. They just dont support me with this decision.

• They are over reacting!!! Just check the law in your state or country!

• if the guy was just 7 or so, it would be a different story

• Not a pedo but it's not a good look either.

• when you get older it won't even matter. people with a 10 year age gap so its fine.