Is he taking us seriously or not?

Is he serious about dating and just too shy/not confident? Or is he messing around? So the guy I've been going on dates with the past month (4 dates in total) just invited me to go to his family's cookie decorating party. He texted me last night that 'everyone will think we are dating. Just a heads up' In the past he got mad when I said we were just hanging out.. And since then we both joke about being just "friends" or "buddies"..
Is he not taking this seriously or what?
Also he broke up with his first real girlfriend of a year almost 5 months ago cause he said he wasn't in love with her. Is this maybe part of it? + he bought me a blanket as Christmas gift (I love blankets)

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 2

• If he invited you to meet his family I don't think he's messing around :) Quite on the contrary...

• Umm, I think he is taking actually it seriously. After all he invited you to go to his family's party.