I cook something traditional for a guy i'm dating and he hated it :( and my ego is shattered :( what should I do?

I cook bibimbap, the Korean food :( I thought it is one of favourite food that foreign people like :(
the guys i'm dating is English teacher from UK.

He didn't like it.. even if it is one of my specialty lol so heart broken haha
May I should have been prepared something non traditional :/
and now I feel a bit awkward what should I do? How can I move on from this feeling?
I feel stupid for feeling this way from such a small thing lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, first, I wouldn't take in personally. It's entirely possible that even the best Korean chef in the world couldn't make him like it. I personally have very limited tastes in food, particularly with foods from other cultures. And no offense, Korean food, and actually most Asian food in general, just isn't for me. I don't know what it is, but I just never like it. I wish i liked more things, and more exotic stuff, but I just don't and likely never will. Is this something he ever had before? I'd understand you being upset a little more if it was his favorite food and he just didn't like YOUR version.

Also, his response is critical: was he polite or rude? If he just spit it out like "UGH! What is this garbage?", then he's a jerk and you probably shouldn't waste your time on a guy like that anyway. But if he was just like "I'm really sorry, I appreciate you making me dinner, but it's just not something that appeals to my tastes", I wouldn't be upset about it.

• He was polite actually.. He is really sweet, i just thought since my other foreign friends like it lol i thought he'd like it as well. I wasn't upset.. Maybe little sad that he isn't into it lol but thank you

Most Helpful Girl

• Please don't feel bad! Sometimes people just don't like things and that's okay.

I'm sure it was hurtful to you because you put a lot of effort into making food for him. But please don't take it to heart that he didn't like it. It wasn't that he didn't appreciate your effort, the food just wasn't something he enjoyed.

That doesn't mean that he won't like something else that you cook.

Try to think of it more as him not liking the specific food, and less of him not appreciating the effort you put in.

What Guys Said 11

• I understand your feeling, you put your time, effort, and love in something that he didn't like, but did he appreciate what you did?
    You took a shot cause you didn't know if he was going to like it or not, unfortunately he didn't, but don't feel bad, it's not your fault, he just doesn't like that kind of food. I'm sure one day he'll cook something in the future that you'll dislike, don't feel discouraged by it.

• Don't feel like that. He was not judging you as a cook. There is a difference between just not liking the flavors of a meal and the cook being bad. Give him a chance to not like it without having your heart broken or else, you are the one who is being cruel hy giving him the choice between loving a meal or breaking your heart.

• You're dating a shallow person. Basic courtesy is that if someone is nice enough to cook you dinner, you do not tell them the food sucks. At the worst, he should say that he's not used to this type of food. If he said outright that he hates it, I would probably dump him. Not because he didn't like the food, but because he lacks politeness and empathy, and he did not appreciate the effort you made.

• This is all about him.

If a woman went to so much effort to make me something I would instantly be in awe of her. Mainly for her effort shows her like and respect for me.

Even if I hated it, I would eat every last bit and tell her how amazing it was and how touched I was by her gesture.

You need to sit him down and tell him to show you more respect

• Easily said, but just don't worry about it. How do you know he hated it? Even so, he hated the food, and not you. If you equate your value to small things like a meal you cook then life's going to be like a rollercoaster of emotions for you :pp
    Acknowledge that he didn't like it, but also know it doesn't mean he didn't like you.. You can be completely mutual about the situation and view it like 'he didn't like the meal'. He didn't like the meal, and that's all that what happened tells you. Nothing else. 😊

• He told me he is not into Asian food. But yeah I guess I should have cooked something else. I will make something else another time.

• It depends how he acted about it. Was he nice and said he just disliked it or was he a jerk about it?

Because in the end tastes can be different and he might simply disliked it, because it's not his cup of tea.

• yeah I think he simply disliked it. I'm okay I guess I was almost certain that he would like it lol. But I will make something else next time :)

• Yeah. Maybe when the next time you have an conversation with him talk about what he likes to eat and what you like and share it.

• Oh don't take it to you heart. I can tell that he likes you coz he told you the truth, this also means that he trusts you, you shouldn't mind that he didn't like your dish. Next time, cook him his favorite dish and win his heart. :)

• Was he rude about it or could he simply just not bring himself to eat it. There are food i CANNOT eat. It isn't an allergy or anything but my gag reflex automatically kicks in with salmon and any kind of fish. It could have nothing to do with your cooking at all and just the type of food it was just happened to be something he couldn't tolerate.

• Well just try again, you'll get it. Tools of the devil, discouragement

• Some are just very picky

• He's an ass he should have at least pretended to like it for you. I would have anyway :)

What Girls Said 4

• Don't feel bad. My boyfriend and I love sushi and I thought I would invite him over and make homemade sushi for him. Well, it turned out awful! It looked as big as a burrito because I put too much rice and the filling fell out. I started crying.. i felt stupid for feeling so bad about it, but I know how you feel. My boyfriend laughed but he didn't mind and he said, which is the truth, it's the thought that count. So I'm sure that the guy you are dating saw that you were trying something with the intention of bringing him closer to you, like into your culture, and I'm sure he appreciated the notion. :) Don't take it personally at all that he didn't like it.

• Don't put yourself down about it., it was a nice thing that you decided to do for him. I'm not sure how he reacted but even if he didn't like the food I'm sure he appreciated the gesture. But don't think too much of it, he just simply didn't like it. Whether that was because of your cooking or the actual recipe I don't know. Don' let it stop you from cooking for yourself or other people again though. Just learn some different recipes, try and improve your cooking skills if that's the problem.
    Practice makes perfect.

• White people (especially those from the UK) are not known for their cuisine. Extremely white people (and Europeans especially) are not known for being particularly adventurous with their food.

I know that it seems like a rejection of you and of your culture, but I really think it's just that he didn't like that one particular dish. Keep trying - he might love the next thing you make.

• Sure, cause French, Spanish, Italian... have a bad cuisine xD I do agree that British people have a poor cuisine, but Southern Europeans have amazing cuisine and are definitely adventurous when it comes to food :/

• ... but we're still white. So African Americans aren't black cause they're more brown, not as black as those in Africa?

• @AleDeEurope race isn't a real thing anyway so why should my understanding of it follow the convention?

• You can't go wrong with bulgogi and rice. Or takgogi. Or any BBQ that ends with -gogi.
    Go there first.

If he likes spice, give him some yukkaejang.

If I were a white-bread British dude, I don't know if I could handle bibimbap, either. Have you seen what they eat in England? NO REALLY GIRL HAVE YOU SEEN IT.