My boyfriend of almost 2 years says he doesn't want to break up but might want to date other girls to see if he wants to marry me? help?

• stay with him?
  • not
If you think I should stay with him why?

Most Helpful Girl

• A man knows what he wants (best advice I ever received) don't wait for that fool to make up his mind about whether he wants you or not

• Thank you! I really hope everything worked out for you

• He will regret it when he sees you with someone who deserves you

• thanks. Hope I find someone

What Guys Said 11

• If he needs to find other girls and see how they are, he doesn't love you enough.
    If he really loves you, he doesn't NEED to check for other people, because he already found what he was looking for.

Think about it. I'd break up

• SMH, what the fuck guys? Why does anyone thing that's a reasonable thing to propose to their girlfriend?

• This is some bullshit, he wants to bang other chicks but doesn't want to break up? lol He's not ready to get married at all, end it.

• Yeah he's not coming back.

• This is where you say you are going to date other men to see if you still want to marry him.

• What you mean like play into his game see his reaction?

• No, I mean date other men and realize that you can do better and leave this guy in the dust.

• THIS SHOULD BE MHO!

• Just dump him.

• he already has another woman on his mind, how about you tell him you guys split if he want's to pursue another woman and do not ever contact him again, he will have to do all of the work with getting back together with you

• Basically he's unsure if he likes you. If he wants to date others to see if your the one then he doesn't know what he wants and you shouldn't let him try out other girls to see if your the one. He should be able to know right away

• Let him go.

• He doesn't really love you. he just wants you as a back up. leave him and find a good man.

• That's up to you if you stick around, maybe your his first and nothing else to go by in a relationship and wants to see if your the one but unfortunately he may lose you in the process

What Girls Said 12

• Ugh, don't do it. Don't be the doormat. Hire me or fire me, you say to the boy.

One thing to consider:
    What's your brutally honest assessment of the match here? If you two get married RIGHT NOW, who's getting the better deal "on paper"? If you moved to Mars tomorrow, could he get a girl who would compare to you? If he moved to Mars tomorrow, could you get a girl who would compare to him?

The reason I ask is -- and this is SUPER IRONIC -- I knew two guys who did this, and they were both being stupid dumb idiotfaces. Both of them had girls who, frankly, WAY outclassed anything they would ever see in their lives again.
    If that's happening here, hopefully he'll have a friend who will give him the come-to-Jesus talk.

Whatever you do, DO NOT mention timelines, or "I want to be married for x years before having kids", or actually anything about kids at all. If the boy is already scared, he will die of a heart attack. Or run away screaming. Or die of a heart attack while running away screaming.

• That just sounds like the worst marriage proposal ever.
    I'd leave him.

• This is one of the most pitiful scenarios/questions I have read today… and it’s sad, because it is not uncommon. I have been with my boyfriend for nearly two years as well, and if my boyfriend said he wanted to date other girls to see if he was truly interested in “tying the knot,” I’d tie a knot in his testicles and gut him like a fish. His request is totally and utterly ridiculous and inappropriate. Drop 150 pounds and kick his ass to the curb!

• What kind of sense does this make? Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it too. Find someone who's there for you 100%, leave him.

• FUCK NO! Boy better find someone!

• Move on. Been through this crap personally. A waste of time and energy.

• Don't stay with him.

• LEAVE HIM.

• Wtf. How does dating others help him decide if he wants to marry you? Maybe you should go marry another guy while he gets his shit together.

• That is the worlds stupidest thing I have ever heard! Dont let him treat you like that dump his ass. And look for a guy that truly loves. I will give you some advice 1. never be afraid to say NO. If you dont like this idea say no. 2. Dont worry he won't be the only guy to love you you can find someone else that will.
    When you truly love someone you dont have a doubt in marrying or being with them.

• Honestly I think you deserve so much more than that :) If after all this he doesn't express loyalty towards you then he doesn't respect you as much as he should :) I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and if either one of us suggested that, there wouldn't be a continuation. The reason it works is because we're both devoted to one another & can't imagine being with other people. I have a best friend who has experienced the same thing & honestly she eventually left because she got the process & didn't want to wait around for him anymore :) You should be the one to make the decision & not leave it up :) Hope you what makes you happy & good luck!! :) You deserve much better girlie :)

• Kick his nasty ass out of your life for good.