He proposed to me?

On Christmas Eve, my boyfriend proposed to me and I said yes. The only issue is, he isn't the same religious denomination as me (I'm a Mormon, and he doesn't know what he is), and therefore we can't get married in the temple once we're old enough. Not only that, but I still want to serve a mission trip. Help?
And, yes, I get it. We're young, marriage shouldn't be on our minds, but it just seems right.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I feel like religion shouldn't determine your marriage entirely. Did u say yes?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's odd and rare when a relationship at your age lasts for a long time, but my parents made it work, so I know it's possible. They began dating when my mom was a freshman and my dad a junior in high school, and got engaged just after my mom turned 17. They married in October of the next year, and they've been married for nineteen years now. Granted, the first few years were rough, they separated for almost a year when I was two years old, but they managed it. All the while my mom was Catholic and my dad did not believe in anything of the sort. It is possible, but there needs to be a lot of communication between you, him, and your respective families.

Obviously, religion has not kept you from saying yes to his proposal, and it should not keep you from marrying him. Typically (and I'm not saying this is the case) the girl cares much more about the wedding than the guy does, so you will have to talk to him about whether or not religious ceremonies are important to him at the wedding. Religion is a very shaky ground to try to find compromises on, but unless he can either fake it long enough to be believable or you can settle with a non-temple wedding, there is going to be some serious issue. I'm sure you are aware of your options (a wedding in the temple or a non-temple wedding), and that those options depend on whether or not he decides to convert (if only temporarily). If it comes down to it, you can always become legally married, and then have a temple wedding some time down the road (if he converts later in life).

He should already be aware of your religion and your specific level of belief/devoutness; he should not have a problem with your mission trip. It's something very important to you and he has no right to keep you from it.

Essentially, this is an issue to be discussed with your families and with each other. Have you asked him how he feels about your wedding yet?

What Guys Said 3

• The separate denomination thing isn't that big of a deal, your both Christidn that's what matters but your both to young to get married.

• There are many different ways of getting married.

I don't know about Mormons :o but a marriage doesn't have to be traditional

• Are you ready to be a mother?

• We aren't planning on having children until we both have completed college and have job security.

• What about you're pregnant accedently?

What Girls Said 6

• Those last sentences are my view of all this. Ur too young, and u need time. Also remember that maybe u might have matured, but he's far from it, and the last thing u wanna do is make a stupid mistake.

• Just because you're engaged doesn't mean you have to get married right away. Go on your trip. Live life. Sort things out as far as marriage goes. You have time.

• How devout are you?

The Mormon church is a pretty all-encompassing thing, for the devout. If you're devout and he's not, I'm sorry, but, zero chance.

I don't think I know any non-devout Mormons. Maybe I just don't know that they're LDS at all.

• Aww... try to settle your difference!

• If it's that important to you, why can't he convert?

• He has the choice to convert. I refuse to force him into it. It isn't my decision, it's his.

• If it doesn't feel rushed, then go with it. You never know when your time is up.