Should I feel guilty?

My mother is schizo... she said its because of raising us she is sick... I felt that was a cruel thing to say. She always tried to make me feel guilty for living my life and blames it on me she is mentally ill, she has always been a fearful person, she used to hit us and psychally abused us, like biting, hitting and then she expects me to take care for her... I feel mixed feelings towards , its bad she is mentally ill but sometimes I feel its karma, she literally bullied us, made us feel like a burden, am I in the wrong? she has been on welfare her whole life and even tho she is schizo and I understand now, she doesn't want to make something out of her life, if she was happy and more social the mental illnes might leave her... I feel like its too late for her to expect me to love her after she has done to us...

What Guys Said 2

• The mental illness will never leave. Only the symptoms can be treated and they're not 100% effective. What you're wanting for her to be more social is an impossibility. You cannot just turn off mental illness anymore than a diabetics can turn their disease off. Mental illness is a medical disease just like any other disease. You need to get more educated on the subject

• You can't repay your parents for good or ill. All you can do is resolve to do a better job. Parents who try to use guilt on their children for their own ends are sick, just try not to catch the disease.

What Girls Said 1

• It seems like your mum has underlying issues and is very resentful and bitter. She also seems depressed too. She may have unresolved issues from her past which you are unaware of. She's obviously deeply troubled and needs professional help.

I'm not trying to undermine how she's made you feel or condone her behaviour , but she should be pitied not hated. Her mental illness is having a negative impact on all of you. It can be so debilitating, and she really probably has no control over the way she is. She needs help so she get to the root cause of her issues. I do empathize with you, but I can also emaphize with your mother too. 💗

• I did that enough, she always curses at me and is very ungrateful and makes me feel guilty for living at 23, I want to move out and focus on school, I have no peace of mind, I almost became like her with men in my life by acting agitated and cursing at them because im so stressed out, I think people do not understand how hard it is to have a mentally ill mother, she should take responsibility of her life and stop acting like a victim, what she has is awful, but I know she knows right from wrong, to hit ur children everyday just because I hate ur life is no excuse, ever.