What does "I love you" mean from a friend?

He's American I'm not, I have trouble understanding him because of culture difference and not a language barrier.

I just want someone (preferably American) to tell me, do you casually say "love you" to a friend? Does it have to mean you like her more than a friend?

He's said it twice this month. We have been friends for about 3-4 months.

He texted it randomly once and once after texting good night. I asked through a text what do you mean and he ignored me.

Thanks for all the replies ❤️

Most Helpful Guy

• In English, we have one word - "love" - that is used to denote platonic love, familial love, romantic love. Romantic love is usually (but not always) expressed as "I am IN love with you." When an available person has a friendly relationship with a member of the opposite sex, they may say "I love you" to mean that they love them as a friend, or they may be suggesting that they are feeling more than just friendship. It is an ambiguous statement.

Most Helpful Girl

• It mean I love you! I tell people I care I love you!

What Guys Said 12

• I have two really old friends from childhood a man and a woman we say I love you all the time to each other. Its a brotherly type love

• Being myself an American it could mean anything from "I find you very attractive" to "I'd consider marrying you." When you're dealing with American guys the deeds speak louder than the words. Maybe it's time to ask him if he's interested in an exclusive relationship.

• I will only say this to the best friends I have and getting to such a high standard with me is not easy. Other than best friends I will only say it to my Wife and my mom

• don't hurt yourself thinking about it too hard, mate. it just means he loves you in a non romantic way. like he said, don't think about it too hard and don't stress about it. I don't know why everyone answering is complicating it. i say it to my girl friends all the time and a lot of people say it to their friends.

• Well, it depends on his approuch, if he's just like "I love you, see ya later!" (Friendship) if he's like " I love you baby, call me". ( I think he wants you) ha-ha!!

• It means the same as between family members: you have a good bond and when one is in trouble the others will do whatever they can to be there for him or her :D

• In my experience it means "Please don't kill me."

• I love both my female best-friends dearly and I tell them so.

• usually nothing it means the person cares about you a lot

• depends on your convos and attachments

• Obviously means jack shit. Since people would leave their girlfriend for getting shit and poo all over her face.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1844956-if-you-found-out-your-hot-girlfriend-allowed-guys-to-shit-pee-all

• He might or he might not the only way to find out is to ask him.

What Girls Said 13

• I am not sure if you are having a romantic relationship with him difine the relationship between you two. Say to him, do you have feelings for me or are we just friends. If it's feelings, it means that he thinks that you are beautiful and he wants to be your lover. If it's just friends, it means he cares for you and your feelings of happiness matters to him and he wants to help you be happy with life.

• I'm afraid of asking him because he always tells me not to complicate things.

• Just be friends

• Do you guys flirt or have a truly platonic friendship? I mean I think we do say "I love you and I love this or that" a lot in the US. We use it for a lot of things, we don't say adore or appreciate as much. If someone says or does something really funny we might say "I love you, you're so funny" instead of saying something like "I love your sense of humour or I love that you did that". We throw the word around a lot. I think context will be more helpful for understanding why he says it, if you guys flirt, he treats you differently etc.

• I am Canadian, and I cannot speak for everyone, but I tell my friends I love them. I have been best friends with my best friend for 8 years and I tell her everytime we talk that I love her. Also a few friends at school I will tell them that I love them. In nothing more than a friend sense. But if I am really close to some of my friends I will tell them I love them.

However, if I have been friends with someone for 3-4 months I would not say that.

• im not American but i tell my friends that i love them almost every single day! it mostly means that you really appreciate that person and you love them like a sister/brother. however, coming from a male friend, it might have some other meaning. notice his behaviour towards his other girl friends and see if he treats you differently. if so, he probably likes you more than a friend

• I say I love you to my friends all the time, doesn't mean anything to me really, but it is a strong word.

Like.. They can make me laugh and I go "hahah omg I love you"

• I say I love you to everyone really, and I'm American. Try asking him about it. "As a friend, or do you mean more?"

• You can love friends as friends. Not every "I love you" has to be familial or romantic. But normally from my experience, it's always family or lover because I never really hear friends say it. But it could be he loves you as a friend like he feels close to you

• It depends in what context he said it. Did you do something nice like make him cookies and he said it like, "OMG I love you, you're the best!" Or did he just very intimately say, "I love you" over a romantic dinner? Or like one time my guy friend was making fun of me and I gave him a dirty look and he was like, "I was just kidding, I love you."

• Maybe it means I would do anything in the world for you and would never leave your side or it could just clearly mean they want to date you😏😏

• i say i love you to my girl and guy friends. he's probably just saying it casually, but it really depends on context

• It's a platonic sort of love

• It doesn't mean anything u fool

• It's not really about where you came from, or your culture to say I love you. Yes, I have said I love you to my friends before, but only as a best friend, and not in a romanic way. It all depends on how the guy feels, and if he means I love you in a romantic way, or in a casual friend way.