Stressed/depressed vs losing interest?

How can I tell if my 'boyfriend' is really depressed or just doesn't love me anymore? He hates his job, tells me he needs medicine for depression. His job leaves him with no time for himself.
However lately he's become cold in conversation and said things I've never heard before in the 5 months we've been 'together.' The last convo was weird, he said he didn't want me to be with someone who was always in a bad mood.

I've met his family and we live an hour apart so I'm not able to monitor his behavior. When I saw him last he seemed very sad, but like he was trying to be happy for me.

Things were great and now I haven't heard from him in 5 days. We were in mid conversation and he just stopped replying. It's happened before due to his job and phone problems but never for this long.

What are the main difference between someone losing interest vs them being distant because of them being stressed out or depressed?

What do you think? How can you tell if someone is just being distant because of stress/ depression vs them wanting out of the relationship?

I can't tell if he's ended it by saying that, I figured surely he would tell me if he didn't want to talk anymore.

What Guys Said 2

• Depression is usually defined as a loss of interest that one normally enjoys

• He should have confessed, then made a nest, then taken a rest.

What Girls Said 0