How should a girl tell her significant other that she does not want to get married or have kids?

I think I would feel trapped and depressed if I got married or had kids, because I am very territorial and the thought of sharing my living space with someone terrifies me. Also, I love children, however, I want to devote my life to doing many things and don't wish to take care of them. It seems as if most men won't take you seriously unless you are willing to take on those commitments...
I'm single by the way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well yes at least for me I won't take any women seriously unless and until she wants an theses things... And seriously commits

But whatever it is you should just communicate with your SO about this and tell them from the start...

And why would you feel trapped? Do you want to sleep around or something? Or you just want no responsibility but you would be completely loyal is you had no kids?

Your Partner may leave you for it though... They might think that you don't want to commit

• I think I would eventually get bored of seeing the same person 24/7 and having to take care of kids. In addition, people aren't always who you believe they are and it is hard to get out of a relationship if you are married to the person. Plus kids, forget it.

• As long as I'm not stuck being someone's slave, I'm good to go.

• If you have a right partner you won't feel like you are someones slave...

But i think you have great commitment issues... And you should deal with those cause we men don't like a girl with commitment issues especially if we are looking for something long-term

Most Helpful Girl

• This is information you should volunteer before a man becomes your significant other. Don't wait until the connection has progressed to a relationship without allowing him to make an informed choice about going further with you. It wouldn't be fair for you to divulge this information later on because you would be emotionally trapping a man into dealing with a lifestyle he wouldn't have chosen for himself.

You are right; many men and women will not take someone seriously if they are going to deprive them of marriage or parenthood. They have every right to make that decision because it heavily impacts their future. Just as you wish for them to respect and honor this idea, you should respect and honor theirs. You are just going to have to accept that you will not be compatible emotionally with many men who value marriage and children.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm glad you said you were single. Shows that you are thinking about this BEFORE dating. As @esplorare @mooky06 said, just tell your s. o. that you don't want kids or marriage when you're fairly certain you want to be exclusive with this person.

• @mooky06 i agree with her, just be straight forward about it, and do it sooner than later

• Yeah, why not. He may feel the same way.

• Not to be rude but that's what "most" men want out of dating. I don't consider tinder hook ups dating.

• One then must ask why she even has an s. o?

• You do realises that this is a big red flag for men, don't you?

What Girls Said 2

• You just have to be straight forward with men (whom you want to date) about what you want and what you don't want. I'm sure there are men, just like you, who want something like that.

• At yr age I'd think men would be perfectly content to just not even discuss the whole thing for a while.

If yr relationship lasts long enough, the topic will emerge organically, eventually... unless all yr dates are in a hermetically sealed biosphere, or something.