What is a good or "reasonable" amount of time to get engaged?

In my mind I'm ready to settle I find my boyfriend to be it for me, however we have been dating for a year and some change, i am getting to the point where I want more foundation. Am i rushing? I really don't want to wait 5 years for An engagement

Most Helpful Guy

• Year and a half to two and a half years would be my area

Most Helpful Girl

• Not necessarily but I do feel a year is too soon for engagement. At a year is when you're really fully comfortable with the person. After that, you need to feel it out and see how well that works.

For instance, I moved out with my ex boyfriend, whom was my boyfriend at the time, after only 7 months of dating (stupid mistake, I don't recommend it). We dated for almost two years but it wasn't working. We found we couldn't live together, we were in two dif ferment stages in life and wanted different things. I thought he'd be the guy I'd marry, but didn't turn out that way.

I say at LEAST wait until between the 1.5-2 year mark. 2 years is a comfortable enough cushion to get engaged. From the first day you start dating to the one year mark, you're learning about each other. One year hits; you're comfortable. Then from 1 year to 2 years is when you REALLY get to know the person on another level. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be engaged early on, but I think you'll be better off waiting a little longer.

What Guys Said 1

• 2-4 years is a good time.

• He was with someone for 4 years and never got engaged well... College relationship. Tho it was his "first relationship" so I don't want to fall in that crack

• Why I say 2 to4 years is because after 2 years people show there true colors

• ahhhhhhhhhhh I see

What Girls Said 3

• I think between 1-2 years is enough time to have 'built a good foundation' and be ready to make it official by law, though the situation varies with each couples.

Since your boyfriend has previously been in a relationship that was quite lengthy but without an engagement, have you two at least discussed your end goals? Like if marriage is a possibility in the future?

• Yes, you are rushing. A year is barely enough time to truly get to know someone and gain legitimate knowledge on their soul. Some couples are ready to get married after just a year but other couples need more time and it's important that both people feel 100% ready. If someone feels rushed, then there will be resentment during the marriage and they'll probably feel like their non-marital possibilities were snatched away from them too quickly.

• I think 3-4 years is a decent amount of time.