My boyfriend and I split all our dates, is this okay?

He used to pay all of it here and there, I always offered to and he just would pay. Recently we've been splitting everything when we go out, okay?

• Yes perfectly fine, it's preferred
  • Not an issue
  • No what the hell he should only pay

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly now. Guys normally pay for the first few dates. Sure.

But when you've hit the stage of couple you're expected to pay for yourself. Anything else is you either having no money, he having too much or you being a gold digger. I know I know, blunt. But that's the way of it. Obviously taking turns to pay for everythin might be easier.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes perfectly fine, it's preferred because I am the one that did it all in the past and paid her rent and dream trips as well

• Well it makes sense to pay for your own things.

That doesn't mean I won't intercept and pay for your things, but the primary default should be that everyone pays their own things.

• Nothing wrong about it, but I feel like it's too complicated. How about just switching him paying then you, etc.

Or making a shared bank-account for things you do together and transfer money there for those occassions.

• Sounds fair to me.

I'm fine with that or take turns paying the bill.

• Its absolutely fine. Becoming the norm these days really.

• Why the hell do we care? Is it ok with you? Is it ok with him?

• That's perfectly fine.

• totally up to you and how you feel, no right or wrong

What Girls Said 12

• I wouldn't say "it's preferred" -_-

If you guys are fine with that arrangement then I don't see a problem with it. However, I would think a guy was stingy as hell for that. I don't mind paying for both of our meals every now and then. Food is a need and it's important to enjoy food so it's not a big deal to me. But if he's so resistant towards paying for my meal ever, then I will honestly think he's stingy and cheap or trying to make a point when it comes to gender roles to an extent where it makes the relationship feel different. It's nice knowing that your SO will treat you to a meal every now and then.

• LOL at the amount of guy down-votes you had so far...

• I'm willing to pay as long as I'm not EXPECTED to pay. It's in my opinion as well - people ought to assume that they'll pay their own expenses, unless initially stated otherwise. It depends on how rich I am at the moment, hah.

• @Mesonfielde See now that's something I can totally get. When there's an entitled attitude or an awkwardness of the check coming and she just looks at you like "Pay for my shit." lol! That would rub me the wrong way too

• I see nothing wrong with that. Unless you want to be completely dependent on your boyfriend, there's no reason why he should be grabbing every restaurant bill.

If women want to be treated as equals and taken seriously in the workplace, that applies everywhere. Including paying for ourselves when we go out to eat.

• It's perfectly okay if you feel that way- if it makes you upset then tel him, if it does him find out how to resolve the issue. Initially no one should really have a problem splitting really- in the rules of being fair.

• yeah its fine!

• I don't the problem. Though, personally we never split. One time I will pay, the other time, he will but you do what you want

• I think I may adopt this way! Sounds much easier

• Does it feel like a problem?

If no, it's not a problem. Period, end of story.

• It sounds normal, I think a guy should really only pay on a first date

• That's fine, me and my boyfriend normally just say whoever has the money pays

• You should ask him if something changed.

• hm.. as a girl I'd just find it more romantic if the guy paid sometimes!

• Yes, I actually love this. I always pay for myself, if it's the first date or the 100th date. He pays for himself, this way no pressure... just focus on each other and having fun.

• It's normal. Not an issue.