What's racist about this?

I said I wanted to date a black guy because that's my preference. Some idiot thinks that is racist. I don't see how.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not racist, your preferences are yours and nobody has a right to make you feel about those.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 12

• Racism:
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Discrimination:
    to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality:

Technically, having a racial preference is racist because you have a "distinction in favor" of black men which is a "race" and or group/ category.

• I hadn't thought of it in terms of word definitions, although that makes sense. But if (I'm assuming) the asker wants to date a black guy because she likes something about their physical appearance, would that be any more discriminatory than my preference for guys with dark hair, or some peoples' preferences for blondes or redheads? Obviously there's a racial element to the asker's example, but otherwise they seem to same to me--except that people don't insult or get offended by a guy's preference for blonde women, but someone's insulting/getting offended by the asker's preference.

• @Melirain Physical traits apply to different races. Latinas, White, and even Asians can dye their hair blonde, but people cannot change the color of their skin. If she said she liked a guy with a certain feature, that's not racist, but having a preference over a race or denying that there are attractive people in a race is racist.

• Don't sweat it these days everyone is being labeled a racist hell you can be labeled a racist for calling a black guy black

• I'll state an hypothesis on this one, nevertheless I might be wrong.

I think that they interpreted it as being racist because you solely want to date a black guy. Thus, it means that whatever happens you won't date a white guy and that you'll go for the black one.

• No they're just stupid.

• However, if you see it as only a preference I think there's no problem at all. They can think whatever they want, and that you shouldn't care of what they think.
      After, it's their problems not yours :)

• After all*

• then date black guys and shut up about it. No matter what preference you have, SOMEONE will be offended by it and call it racist. Hell, i'm not even going to be surprised the moment you're called "sexist" for not bing bisexual.

• It depends what your reasons are for wanting to date only a dark man

• you should not give a shit about that. that is not racist.

• I'm more into white girls that's just my preference. So either both or neither of us is racist.

• black man is supreme to idiots race

• That's not racist

• I would like to marry a girl (she is same race as you said)

• Its racial preference not racism. Thats like saying you're a sexist because you only date one specific gender

• As a black man who regularly attracts non black women who just want to try dating a black guy it's pretty insulting. It reduces me from an individual to a representative of a collective that I had no part in choosing that isn't even a real thing beyond the false social pretenses we've erected to define each other. If you like men with darker skin say that. If the men you like tend to be black, that's fine say that. If you have a preference for traits that's fine say that. But don't go out into the world searching for black men. We're men. Human Beings. Not all black men have the same culture. Not all black men have the same looks or mannerism. It's not really racist and it's not really that big of a deal but to some people it can be perceived as a very rude preference.

What Girls Said 6

• If you think the other ethnicities are inferior ex) you tell your kids don't date white guys or hispanic guys, then yea, that would be racism.
    If you can't see yourself with another ethnicity because you find chocolate/caramel/coffee skin SOOO attractive, then you do you.

• Okay. Let's look at this methodically.

Why is it your preference to date black men?

Is it because of stereotypes? Is it environment?

Is the only reason you find black men attractive because you find them "exotic"?

Is there a cultural difference you're trying to take advantage of?

Answer these questions honestly.

• Everyone has a preference wheather they like to admit it or not. If you like black guys, good for you, it's not like you can force yourself to be interested in something you're not. Like what you like and if someone doesn't agree with it, it doesn't really matter because they aren't you.

• Like you said it's an idiot these days every time another race say black it's like saying satan, so people will talk about racism for noting... tss (sorry for my english)

• Maybe the person who said you're racist are the ones who are actually racist and does not want to acknowledge that you prefer a black guy over white or any other ethnicity, funny what irk's some people they need to deal with their own issues.

If you prefer a black guy then ignore the isms or what others have to say.

• It's not racist, it's your preference.

Being racist, is "Discrimination or prejudice based on race."