Looks matter more than Personality? Agree/Disagree?

I've noticed people care more about looks than personality.

You could be super hot and everyone will be interested in you, with the exception of a few put off by your personality.

But if you're not so good looking people aren't gonna find you as attractive. With a few liking you due to your great personality.

This is just what I've picked up on.

What are your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like the first impression you get of a person are their looks there for they are pretty important. Personality matters most to me but I can't see someone's personality before I see how they look. And its hard to want to know them if your not attracted to them ya know?

Most Helpful Guy

• Tl;dr, it depends on what you're looking for when dating or going for a relationship.

I think that if you're looking for casual dates as a guy, looks are pretty much of utmost importance to even get a first date going, especially when you try to get a date with a woman on some online platform (i. e., online dating, Tinder, stuff like that). You can compensate some lack in looks by high confidence, charisma, social skills, and body language when trying to get a casual date in person.
    Another huge advantage of looks over personality is that women tend to be more ballsy in trying to get their attention. The (few) times you see women take any initiative is when a guy stands out in looks as that's the only real visual and thus first encounter indicator of someone.

Past that initial phase, personality is where it's at provided you're looking for anything with some substance.
    Of course for anything past just acquaintanceship or friendship you will want to have at least some physical attractiveness in the eyes of the beholder, but unless you're looking to for just casual sex or a relationship without any substance but mostly just sex as aim (or with a naive woman blinded by said looks), "super hot" looks with a crappy personality won't work well.

I have practically no experience casually dating as I'm only average looking, but I wouldn't turn in my personality for better looks (even though at times I wonder if I'm below average looking due to that lack of clear interest from women; chances are I'm just blind to hints/signs).
    (With the risk of being seen as bragging) I'm liked by many, acquaint and befriend with ease, and knowing that it's all based solely on my personality and my actions rather than something I can't change like looks, is a great feeling as I regard personality much higher than looks in other people as well. It's nice knowing my genuine personality is appreciated.

I've noticed that women with some substance/good personality themselves and looking for more than just a hook-up tend to find personality more important in the long run as well. (Again, provided the man is not incredibly ugly in the woman's personal opinion, though exceptions exist.)

Even if a woman falls for someone's personality, though, it's often that the women keeps it to herself hoping the man will somehow find out on his own or through small hints. Thrice I had women confess they fell for me over time, though they only confessed years after they got over it.

What Girls Said 18

• Looks matter more than Personality? Agree/Disagree?
    I agree that looks matter more than personality for males. I find guys generally do the approaching and they generally approach gals they find attractive. In my observations no matter how much a guy goes on about how important personality is he never approaches unattractive gals to find out their personality. Instead personality is considered AFTER she passes the looks test. If she didn't have looks thus he wouldn't have even cared about her personality.

I disagree that looks matter more than personality for gals. I find gals generally get approached so they are often put into the position to consider guys they find average/unattractive. Plus I find gals also tend to let other factors compensate for looks aka hobbies, wealth, status, fame, material possessions, etc.'

• I agree with this.. this what I think. I approach a girl if she's attractive. But only show true interest once I suss out what she's like.

• It depends entirely. I've rejected people with an amazing personality whom I didn't find attractive. And I've rejected extremely attractive guys due to their shit personality.
    For me there still has to be that sexual attraction if Im going to date them, but they also need to have a good personality and be able to have a conversation with me, cause I cannot stand being with people I don't click with. Looks plays a part for sure though, anyone who says otherwise is either one of the very few or simply a hypocrite.

• I disagree. Looks to me is just something that initially makes someone attractive but if they turn out to be a jerk or as interesting as a brick wall I wouldn't date him. I would rather someone I can have fun with and have long conversations with about anything under the sun. I don't really just need someone nice to look at and that's all.

• No it's far from the truth. You could be hot and and everyone might be interested in you and find you attractive but if there's a quality that many people do not like they're not going to date you whether you're arrognant or brainless.

Now you do have to find the person somewhat attractive even if its only a tiny percent or it just won't work however the personality is way more important. At least to me it is I don't go around searching for guys that are 10's it's their personality draws me in.

• Sometimes when a guy personality makes up for his physical feature! But I never get attractive by just physical well not love like anyway!

• I disagree.

Physical attraction is important yes but personality is what makes someone attractive in my eyes.
    I would rather date a man who is sweet, intelligent and creative, with looks of a 3/10, rather than a cocky douchebag whos a 9/10.

The sweet guy may be a 3 to everyone else but because of his personality, he is a 9 to me.
    The douchebag may be a 9 to everyone else but because of HIS personality, he's a 3 to me.
    Understand?

• I do think that there has to be some physical attraction, but on the same token, if I meet a very attractive guy who is a complete jerk, I very quickly lose my attraction for him. Sometimes a guy who is less attractive but has a great personality can grow on me as well.

• I just want a nice balance. Someone I'm attracted to both physically and mentally. But that's just me, can't speak for other people.

• I disagree because judging someone's looks instead of their personality your losing the full picture. I think it's best not to know what the person looks like when your talking in till you hit a point where you wanna know what they look like. A personality is 90% of the picture than the looks is like 10% to me anyways. Once you know their personality and you like it its like wow I think I could date this person or something than you see what they look like me I lucked out my guy is really cute. But if their not like you fell in love with their personality and to me that's louder than words.

• Totally disagree. I'm talking from personal experience when I say personality and the way the person is towards others and to you can make you fall for the person even if he's not that good looking.

• I notice that everyone says personality is more important than looks. I hear this and read this every time.
    Those who go for looks and neglect personality, I would say they agree with the fact that personality is more than looks but completely forget it when they see a beautiful person. Hypocrisy plays a role in this. People say something and do the opposite.

• Looks aren't the be all and end all. I value personality way higher than looks but obviously there has to be physical attraction there. That's all relative from there though.

• I know that feel. I turn people off looks and personality so I can't win

• for guys I would say looks matter more then personality but what I like in guys is personality and looks

• agree... in the long term you are gonna get used to the face and the body but you will see a new side to their personality everyday.

• the thing is these "few" are the ones that matter

• Looks are what can attract a potential mate. But the personality is what keeps them wanting to be with you.

If the most handsome guy ever was being nice to me at first, yes I'd be attracted because he had both. But if he was mean, rude, hateful, etc. I would drop him so fast. If a decent looking guy, say he has nice eyes or smile, was talking to me, being respectful and funny then I'd want to know more about him.

• No both are around the same. But people always judge the looks first. Once they get to know the person, then the personality is judged.

What Guys Said 11

• I agree.

Who do you think would have more success with with the opposite sex?

An ugly person with a good personality or a hot person with an ugly personality?

Personally I think the hot person with the ugly personality would. Now obviously those are extremes and there are choices in the middle. However, the point is, looks alone has more power than personality alone. You would do better with just looks than you would with just personality.

• "What are your thoughts?" Agreed and when it comes to girls I go 90% looks and 10% personality with my shallow ass since most girls are boring as fuck anyway #LBVS 😂😂😂

• Neither!!.

Both matter equally. Both are equally important.

• I've said it before bro, both matter. People are willing to compromise on one of the two, but never on both.

• Looks matter short term. Personality matters long term.

Looks will get a guy to approach a woman. Personality is what will make him stay.

• I'm 50/50 on that I think they both matter.

• Disagree. Looks all the way. Then again, I'm an in-and-out kinda guy, so personality makes no difference to me.

• Personality is everything and looks mean nothing is the code i go by

• They both matter a lot.

• YES:) I AGREE LOVE MATER

• There should be a good balance