Getting bored of him?

So We've been talking a lot over text because of parental issues and age we can't see each other much apart from friends group outings, so once a month or less.
We've also been dating (if this counts as) for a year now and everything is sweet and bubbly, EXCEPT sometimes I get this empty feeling and just feels like I'm bored with him, and I feel bad and guilty about it because he's really nice as a boyfriend and cares a lot. I've told him about it and he says it's okay but I don't know if it's a common thing and don't know what to do about it.
Friends who have been through a few relationships tell me that it's common for them and their girlfriends to take breaks. However because that we are different and it's a high-maintenance relationship, I don't think that would be such a good idea.
Am I supposed to act different? Should I tell him to maybe spice his personality up a bit? I don't know what to do but I think we genuinely love each other. He might love me more though and I'm slightly worried about that as well.

What Guys Said 1

• Hope u don't mind me being blunt. The issue here is "you think" you both genuinely love each other. Love should should never be of an "I think" nature but should always be of an "I am certain" nature.

When you both are confidently certain in your cognizance of love for each other, then boredom would be somthing that is easy to overcome and will not inhibit the intimacy in the relationship. In fact, when the love for each other is robust beyond measure, boredom will become a facet both parties will embrace in a r/s rather than try to eschew it.

• And then there's my friends going no one can describe to you what love is. I'm not sure of what it is, tbh.

What Girls Said 0