How do you feel about your boyfriend/girlfriend being friends with someone of the opposite sex?

• They can be friends with whoever they want to.
  • I don't like them being friends with someone of the opposite sex.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't care. We should have healthy friendships outside of relationships.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, they can have friends of any sex, as long as it's 100% platonic.

What Guys Said 10

• If my relationship is safe only as long as she doesn't spend time with another guy. . . I don't have much of a relationship.

• As long as they aren't exes, and she puts them in their place if they ever try to flirt with her, I'm good.

• Either I can trust them, in which case their is no issue. Or I cannot trust them, in which case I will not be with them.

• It depends on whether or not she's slept with any of them in the past.

• I used to be opposed to it but now I'm more relaxed about it. I'm protective without the jealousy in other words.

• depends. if they have a history of strong sexual tension, i´d be a bit carefull.

• Jealousy and possessiveness are two of the most annoying things for me. I never want to be that guy.

• I'm fine with it. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't.

• Would that mean i would have to give up 70% of my friends?

• As long as they don't meet up one on one then I'm cool with it. If they do, I'm outta this relationship.

What Girls Said 11

• My best friend is a guy. He is basically my brother. I talk to him almost every day and we are super close. Our relationship is completely platonic. If I got a boyfriend, if he didn't like my best friend or didn't want me to be friends with him, we wouldn't be together anymore. My best friend is interested in a girl and I am good friends with her too and they have a crush on each other and she doesn't care that we are so close because she KNOWS that there is nothing romantic between us. She knows that I would never do anything to hurt her like that. I would want my boyfriend to get to know my guy friends and hopefully get along with them. If he had a girl bff, I might get slightly jealous but not enough that I would tell him that it's either me or her. I'm not a huge fan of ultimatums. I have given one out to a good guy friend of mine and he told me he chose me, but went behind my back and did exactly what I asked him not to. Next time I see him I'm letting him know that I don't want to speak to him again and that I want him to never contact me. I want my boyfriend to trust me with my guy friends. I'm not going to hang out alone with them unless he is okay with it. Really, there is only one person that I would hang out alone with and would hope my boyfriend would be okay with and that's my "brother" haha. Every other guy, I wouldn't do that. I would hope he would do the same.

• Don't really care. If he shows me nothing is going on and everything is platonic then I wouldn't have a problem

• As long as it is in the open I don't care. The guy I like was telling me he was going to try to meet up with our mutual friend one of these days for a movie but he doesn't want to drive all the way to pick her up. I work s lot and he has more free time. I was like tell her hi!!! I love that girl. I have a guy friend at work. I am now friends with his wife. I helped her put together a birthday deal for her husband at work cause of security issues I had her meet with the kids and friends in the lobby with cake so I would have him go downstairs and get surprised. As long as it is open and the relationship is respected it is all good.

• I don't mind. I trust my boyfriend so he can have friends with whatever gender he wants to.

• I'm not going to police my partner for having healthy relationships with other humans.

• They can be friends with whomever they wish to. The only time I would stop a friendship between my SO and their friend is if they are trying to break us up.

• It's fine as long as the 'friend' isn't either: a) crushing on my boyfriend, or b) extremely attractive

• I don't go around telling others who they can or can't be friends with. That's pretty dickish

• Being as I has a best guy friend since back in grade school I couldn't very well object to it.

• If you have issues with him having friends of the opposite gender there something wrong or that needs to be worked on in your relationship

• it all depends on the situation and the friend they are going to hang out with, for example:

fine - boyfriend hanging out with girls and guys at a party
    not really okay - boyfriend hanging out late at night watching movies with close girl friends

Basically one on one time alone with their friend that goes a little beyond the norm.
    More examples:

fine - shopping & eating at a food court
    fine - drinks that lead to meeting up with other friends
    eh - going to a sports game together (I take sports very seriously and for me consider this a date idkw)
    not okay - movies just the two of them
    not okay - beach just the two of the

In conclusion: Group activities are fine, one on one time with the person - preferably no but hey they are their own person and I won't stand in their way until i think they are actually cheating.