I"m a white girl in college (freshman), thinking about dating a black guy in high school My mom says it's a bad idea. Your thoughts?

I met a nice guy through a friend and I"m thinking of dating him. I haven't dated a lot, either in high school or in college. My mom dislikes the idea of me dating someone still in high school while I"m in college and she also doesn't like the fact that he's black and i"m white. She wouldn't mind if I brought him home as a friend, but has reservations about us dating. I know that there are challenges in interracial relationships, but is it true that white guys will think I'm less of a catch if I've dated a black guy? Also, do you think it's weird that I want to date a guy younger than me?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's actually true, a lot of white guys wouldn't date you afterwards.

Most Helpful Girl

• Bad idea because he's in high school not because he's black.

What Guys Said 12

• You can't date high school students it is unethical even if he is 18. If he is younger than that you could be guilty of raping him.

• I believe that the age of consent should be lower for guys since we don't get pregnant, but I don't make the laws.

• I'll be truthful and say some white guys will think less of you. Well anyway date whoever you want.

• You asked for my thoughts:

1) Yes, your mom is racist (not necessarily consciously);
    2) I think you're old enough to choose who you want to date, without needing your mom's approval. Sure, it could be an issue not being able to bring him home. But you are not the first (and won't be the last) whose parents are not happy with their kid's dates.
    3) It's nothing worng dating a younger guy. But have in mind that he's in High School. He's in a whole different world and may have completely different plans and objectives from you. As a High School teacher I can say it requires a lot of patience to endure teenagers. Especially this generation. Unless he's very mature for his age, expect him to act silly and childish, and laugh at dumb things and mess around. And this can be annoying sometimes.
    4) Wil white guys think you're less than a catch? Some of them will. Racist, insecure and bitter ones. But I don't think you should come nowhere near those anyways. Let them sink in their own insecurities.

• The race difference is a matter of preference for you. Who cares what anyone else thinks about that. The college vs. high school thing though... you're in dramatically different lifestyles. Sounds like you should spend more time opening your social network up in college. Once you do that, your preferences will likely shift.

• LOL damn your mom sounds racist as fck.

• More white bitch meat :(

Gross

• I say go for it. It may be a bit strange because he's in high school (mainly due to scheduling differences) but don't let your mom tell you who to date. If she's like him as your friend she should accept him as a possible boyfriend

• Follow your heart. But only date the people who really cherish you.

• Is he of legal age? That sounds like a bad idea.

• Your mom is fuckin' racist

• Your mom is against it for a good reason.

• Some white guys will (once you go black, they don't want you back) but why would you want an insecure racist asshole guy like that anyway?

• or maybe because the saying is funny... ever thought of that? and no, i'm not white :P

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau

You only think it's funny if you think it's at least a little bit true. It's uncomfortable truth humor.

• or because it's a funny statement...

What Girls Said 0