What do you think of online dating?

I would like to know your opinion in regards to online dating. Does it work? Is it a tool used for cheating? How can you trust a person?

• You CAN form a relationship with online dating
  • Online dating is never good.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am somewhere in between A and B, I believe that online dating is a more complicated version of real life dating. The same basic concerns are there about trust but how do you get around this in real life, you get to know the person and you then decide whether to trust the person or not.
    I have half dabbled in online dating, I investigated it and talked to a few women. It might be an indicator of my age but I found the urgency of their interaction offputting, After 3 messages they would be wanting to meet and I would be "Slow down, lets get to know each other" first to which they would say "Timewaster" and storm off.
    I believe that there is every chance a relationship could form. My tips would be the following
    (1) Choose a premium site - Free sites tend to attract messers looking for sexting and photos - A con would be a discreet cheater may feel more at home there but there would be larger proportion of genuine people there.
    (2) Research the site you want to use - What you want the emphasis to be on (primarily looking for a relationship etc)
    (3) Be your true self - I don't think that will be a problem for you as I think your photos are beautiful and your personality comes across very well online (Strong, independent, a big heart capable of warmth and sensitivity, articulate and very funny). Also a lot of sites have good advice on how to set up your profile once you get by the extra premium advertising.
    (4) Some sites have forums if you have the time - Getting involved there may lead you to meeting someone.
    (5) All in all, as I say it is much the same as real life and whatever screening system you use in real life, use a bit more stringently online.
    Is it worth jumping in head first in the deep end of the pool, maybe not but could it be worth dipping your toe in shallow end to see if you like temperature and making your way up to deep end, maybe so. What I would do is have a look with your eyes wide open. As you know I think you are a really lovely person and a guy would be very lucky to meet you no matter how. All I can do is say whatever you do, all the luck in the world to you.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in a long distance relationship and we met online.. we met here 😁 it wasn't for dating reasons, it was only friendship then developed after months.. Anyways, its a risk, but it depends on the person you are with, it depends on if you actually can visit coz its so important.. And the cheating thing isn't always true, if that person actually loves you he won't cheat and if he doesn't love you, he will " accidentally" drop some hints that will indicate you he isn't interested, just a player, etc now I can't talk about myself coz my boyfriend and I are working on it, I had a past LDR but it failed coz he got bored and thought it was nearly impossible... This one I hope it won't fail.. But another story is about my professor.. He met his wife on a dating site, they dated for 3 years and then got married in 2013! He is so happy with her and he says its the best decision he made in his life, but he also told us that he had failed 3-4 times before he met his wife 😅 with a women he met, she had her age in her 30's but at their second date she told him she was in her 40's 😆 so be careful when you get to meet someone and food luck 😊 hope I helped 🙈

What Guys Said 18

• It's possible but you have to have a lot of trust in that person, faith as well, communication and the like they take a lot of work, this is coming from a guy who's been in two of them.

My advice before you get into anything with this guy if there is one, meet him in person, see if everything you are feeling for each other online, translates into the real world, if it does, you still like him and he seems trustworthy then go for it. This has always been my policy when it comes to long distance type stuff, I always knew the people in person or had meet them in person before I decided to get into anything with them long distance.

• Worked great for me eight years ago. We're still together. It takes a little bit of experience to learn to read profiles. Lots of profiles don't say anything -- likes to travel, walk on the beach, etc. Everybody likes that stuff. Interesting people say something interesting. Avoid people who spend a lot of time saying what they don't want.

• Online is a total waste. Maybe it's just where I live but none of the girls ever respond to messages and when they do it's in one-word response you can't build a conversation upon. And I frequently receive notifications that girls are liking my profile so I know they're active and at least somewhat interested. Besides, I think bounds are created by shared experiences and you can't do that over the internet.

• It works just fine, there are some great people on there and at least you know they are interested in dating!

• Didn't do it before, don't see myself doing it in the future. It works for some people and not for others. It takes a lot of work because you can't give physical stimulation (hugs, kisses.. etc) online so, you'll have to make it up in a lot of emotional one. Some people here on GAG date each others, they will probably have more to say about online dating than I do.

• I think they're just businesses scamming off of people's lonliness to make money.

Not that some times it does work out, but there is ALWAYS some hidden cost to each saying site.

• I have no experience myself but I know plenty of people in long term relationships from meeting on dating websites

• Never thought about trying it so can't judge

• I don't think much of it anymore. I've been on dates, but nothing came solid out of it.

• It's stupid.

• It is a foreplay, but can be a very good one. The final decision have to be done with the real person

• We do everything else in life online, how could dating online not work?

• Well, how can you trust a person where you met in real?
    Risks are both same.

• well hun what are you looking for when you say dating?

• Waste of time if you ask me.

• The girls are mostly ugly yet still receive tons of messages...

• It's a little risky for many reasons, but sometimes it works out

• I've been using it for years and still continue to use it and there's a lot of pros and cons to it.
    Pros: -You have a huge pool of people to message.
    - It's easier to find people with at least some common interests.
    -You know the person is interested if a meet up is arranged.
    -You can take awhile to think of a starting message/reply if you're not ready.

Cons:
    -Lot of people use misleading pictures/info
    -There are a lot of people just looking for attention.
    -Some people have very generic profiles or have very specific criteria for a mate
    -You almost have to multi date when using those sites because almost everyone does.

• As far as the forming a relationship bit goes, it can work out for some I guess but most often it doesn't. I've never had a relationship form from there. The closest I felt to a relationship from the site, I was used as a rebound and then the others who wanted to keep seeing me, I wasn't really attracted or feeling it.

What Girls Said 10

• "Tool used for cheating" LOL. If someone's hell-bent on cheating, then, walking out into the street and talking to people is a tool, too. In that regard, it's difficult to think online stuff is facilitating anything that wouldn't happen through other channels anyway.

That's all I can meaningfully add here, since I've never partaken in anything like online dating. Instant chemistry, either it's there or it isn't. I'm a thousand years old. (:

• I guess I have extreme trust issues :(

• yeah extactly! Who CAN you trust anymore? :(

• This is gna sound cliché, but, you have to trust YOURSELF first.

If you have such deep issues, then, you have to look inside yrself first, and see what's going on there. Not gna be a fun journey. Whatever the most painful moments of yr life have been so far, you will probably have to re-visit and re-live those moments. Don't do it on a sunny day. (: But it's something you will have to face up to.

• I met my boyfriend that way so of course I think it can works. It's just an easy way to meet people.
    How can you trust a person online? how can you trust a person in real life. It's the same thing. I never spend to much time on the actual site, I would meet the guy pretty quickly because you can't really get to know a person online.

• Do you guys look at phones or at least keep it open in front of each other?

• No, I trust him.
      If I begin to check his phone, it means I don't. He doesn't have a password to his phone but I don't feel the need to check.

• I've fallen for someone online before, but I won't date them because of distance. I hate distance. Lol I won't even date this guy who lives IN MY STATE but 2 hours north. Even that's too far for me.

• id say u can form it, but it's highly unlikely. it takes a lot of work.
    trust is obviously a huge factor and that takes communication and respect.

• it works for some people but not everyone. i don't think it would work for me - i've tried and it just feels very forced.

• I think it CAN work but it needs a lot of dedication and good intentions from both sides :)

• I'd rather stick to real life... I feel like if I met someone online and chatted and got on well, I'd be scared if I was to meet up with them that they'd be dissapointed if that makes sense. At least in person they actually see you for who you are and can make their opinion etc...

But it can definitely work for some people which is great.

• It's okay I guess from my experience it wasn't that great

• I don't like it but it works for some people.

• I'm just never doing it again.