Could a teacher lose his or her job for dating a high school student who was 18 or older?

Is there actually anything wrong with that considering you could have a teacher who was 21 or 22?

I actually just looked this up officially. Teachers sign a work contract which outlines 15 things they can get fired for in the termination for cause section. It doesn't specifically list dating someone of legal age, but I'm sure if said relationship was not a secret and the student for example, told a principal about it, that teacher would get fired because society. Also interesting for teachers to know, don't try and overthrow your government, because that is also grounds for termination.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not illegal. But against policy and he would probably be moved

Most Helpful Girl

• It's against policy. That doesn't mean people don't try to get away with it. We had some pervy teachers at my high school who dated students. These teachers were way older like in their thirties! It went on for some time and recently a coach got busted for having a relationship with a few of his students. The girls were underage. That guy's life is pretty much over, reputation wise.

What Guys Said 9

• That's not good.

• Depends on the district. The lifelong infamy would perhaps be a more severe punishment.

• It's called a significant relationship, that between a teacher and a student. It's illegal.

• Illegal or against the rules? There is a big difference. It's not illegal if both are adults, but it could be against the rules at school. The teacher could lose his job, but not his freedom.

• @JuicyBrain In her case, only against school policy due to them both being adults. I should've been more clear in my answer.

• If she is 18 and no longer his student, no. Clinton can bang an intern and keep his job, so go for it.

• I am 18 I'd be ok with it banging teacher if she is hot, js

• Yes cause it's wrong

• Well check teacher off my list of future professions

• No if she is not current student. If she is, then yes

• He could get in trouble probably not fired but it would be on his employment record and could haunt h8m for the rest of his life

• It's not an actual person or persons, I was just thinking about it because legal age of consent and to be an adult is 18, so yes, authority, weirdness, etc., but I didn't think a person could actually get fired for dating someone of legal age.

• @asker Of course. There are conflicts of interest. How do we know the teacher didn't give you good grades because you two sleep together? How do we know the teacher doesn't give you more time or attention than to the other students?

What Girls Said 8

• They are not supposed to be involved with a student anyway. Especially in high school! Its a work ethic clause. What would the parents say if they found out about it? sue the school

• Honestly, I think the only way they could win that case is if the school knew about the relationship and didn't inform the parents, but if it was in secret and the two were over 18, I honestly don't think they'd have much of a case. I'm sure the teacher would then be fired of course, but win a lawsuit, doubtful.

• Also, all teachers are given contracts which are signed, so therefore they are debriefed, which is EXACTLY why schools make them sign to protect themselves, so that wouldn't be an issue, however, people break laws and break contracts and rules all the time despite knowing them. this is not unique to teachers.

• I didn't bother with your long reply 😜

• Yes because that's a breach of trust and a perversion of authority

• Yes, a teacher would lose his/her job for dating a student, regardless of the student's age.

• Is this actually law or illegal?

• It's not against the law, but it's against school policy. Same goes for universities.

• Yes, because that individual is still a student.

• If she's in the school currently yes.
    It happened at my school

• Teachers have to go to college for 4 years. I use to to tutor at a public school, although I am not a certified teacher, I would never rush getting fired at a job I went to college for 4 years to get just to date a student. No human is worth my job. Besides why would anyone want to date someone they teach or date someone at work?

I knew a teacher who did that but she is now married to an older guy who is a professional athlete and she has her own restaurant

• Well, the thing is teachers are not just teachers. They are people, and people end up in relationships with other people. We all know people who date, 'the wrong people.' Age 18 and 21 aren't exactly dad dating his daughters high school friend, age difference. I was really just wondering if they could get fired for dating someone who actually was of legal age of consent. As far as dating people you work with, that happens all the time... generally, LOL, you aren't teaching them, just working with them, but there you go

• *risk

• Yes they can get fired even if it is of legal age

• Yes because student-teacher relationships are inappropriate.

• It's illegal.

The teacher is in a position of authority. If you want to get super legal... if they have sex, it's rape. The student, due to the difference in authority levels, legally cannot consent.

• Actually, its not illegal. The age of consent is 18 which in the example would make them both adults

• I'm not personally agreeing that teachers should go off and date their students for the reasons you mention. You have someone in authority, with a pupil he's supposed to instruct, and would be dating that person. Is he or she giving them good grades for what happens outside the classroom, give him/her answers to the test ahead of time... yes ethics. However, and I've looked this up now, it is still NOT illegal for two adults, both of the age of consent to enter into a relationship. We're talking three things here... ethics, vs. legality, vs. school contracts. Do schools have ethics clauses in their contracts which can lead to teachers being fired for dating legal aged students, yes. Is it legal to date them if of legal age, yes. Is it probably morally/ethically wrong to most people, yes.

• There have been some legal cases, but most have ended with at most a teacher dismissal, but legal charges, no, unless it could be proved the relationship started before age of consent which in some states is as young as 16. Yes, 16. For most though, at 18 one is considered an adult whether you are in high school at the time or not.