Would you date a guy/girl that you met on the Internet?

I met this nice guy off the Internet and I think he's awesome. But I don't know if I should date him or not due to people getting murder from not truly knowing people they meet in person. I believe he is who he says he is. But friends tell me not to trust him.

Most Helpful Guy

• The general rule is to meet them in a public place, tell someone you trust that you're going, and only plan to be there for an hour or two. This is to make sure they are who they say they are.

I met a girl off a chatroom once and she brought along a (male) friend to make sure. I was legit (so was she) so he left and we went and had a fun day together.

So long as you're sensible and careful, don't get taken in by smooth talk, and you'll be fine.

Most Helpful Girl

• Under the right circumstances yes. It would take a lot of getting to know each other beforehand. Personally though, hate me all you want, but I think online dating should be an adult endeavor, because too many predators go after young girls like you.

My personal rules:

Talk for a minimum of three months
    Video chat regularly
    Background check
    Meet in a public place only after those three steps.

What Guys Said 46

• My criteria is this:
    I would date them if I...
    1.) Learned they were actually who they said they were.
    2.) Got along with them for a decent amount of time.
    3.) Skyped or facetimed with them or did some form of interaction outside of chat messages. Actually talking to someone is different then chat messages.

• You should meet him in a public place and not sleep with him on the first date.

• I've had some dates with girls I met on-line and this is what I learnt from them:
    - Usually people don't lie about who they are.
    - It's impossible to tell whether there will be a connection when you meet them.
    - The only reliable assumption you can make is based on mutual interests: If you're both into the same stuff, you will have something to talk about and things will not be weird instantly.
    - The only way to find out if you two are really into each other is meeting in person, a month or two of sending romantic messages isn't worth anything.

So far I've met nice people, but there never was a real connection. There was one girl I just talked to for 20 minutes and then we decided to hang out. She was a really interesting person and played the viola. (I mention this because I'm into music myself, and this led to some common ground.) We never got a relationship (I believe she has a boyfriend now) but we go to the same school so I see her quite often.

So for my advice: If you meet someone online who seems nice, just meet him/her in person. Have no expectations since they will paralyse you. You'll either meet a nice person who you won't ever see again afterwards, or make a new friend. The chances he will actually become your boyfriend are very small (about as small as when you're going on a date with someone you just bump into on the street).

• My sister married a guy she met on POF. com.
    I just started dating the woman I am going to marry. We met on POF. com
    it is scary for woman. just follow the rules of online dating.
    ALWAYS meet the guy for the first date.
    ALWAYS someplace very public
    ALWAYS trust your gut.
    Millions of people do it. You honestly sound like my parents when I tell them I am buyin or selling on craigslist. just because.00000000001% of the people have issues doesn't mean everyone is like that.

• murderers are very very rare.

I met a woman on a date site (survivalistsingles) and we started a relationship, but after awhile she dropped the good game and became extremely difficult, so I have moved on, single now but still have some business connections with her, moral of the story is know the person up close and personal for at least six months before jumping into anything difficult to get out of. patience always pays.

friends are often envious, especially women, better to ask your other guy friends to meet the guy and give you their opinions after. thats what we are here for; to help keep our girls out of trouble!

• I don't see how people do long distance but his for them! Note if u meet online but love in same area and can rally date then go for it, meet for a date and try it out

• I met a girl on here, and I could wind up marrying her.

• No, I won't do that. Anyways I never want to date in my lifetime so it doesn't matter

• Welcome to site - Number 1 be absolutely sure he is who he says he is - Other than that I would have the same concerns I would have in real life but just a little more on internet - Do online relationships work yes just with little extra care

• If they lived by my Hood and had there head together

• Be sure they are who they say they are - video chat is better than text (most human communication is nonverbal). Meet in public, let friends and family know what's going on and don't be shy about having someone tag along at first. Take time to get to know them in person - talk is cheap, texting moreso. Just be careful. Other than that, use common sense and have fun.

• Never have, but I'd be open to try it.

Why not try webcam calls? Talk and see the person so you can see how "real" they are.

• If you're interested in giving it a shot, then meet him in public during the day time. Don't take any other offers from him or get persuaded otherwise, until you know him better in person and seems to be the guy he says to be. First dates should be in public places anyways because of safety and comfort reasons.

• Make sure he is who he says he is by perhaps skyping with him. If you are worried you could plan your dates at a public place. Just don't emphazie you want to meet in public or say something stupid like "you're not a serial killer right?". There are a lot of girls who say stuff like that are act all uptight in an obvious way. I doubt it feels good hearing women tell you they are worried you might rape or kill them if you're just a normal guy who is trying to go on a date.

• I'm not so sure anymore. I've gone on dates with women from the internet, and it didn't turn out well. So, no. I wouldn't.

• Yeah sure but meet in a public space. You dont have to date hI'm the first time. Have you video chatted?

• It would take a lot for that to happen for me and I'd have to meet em in person before I did it.

• Well id see if i could meet them in person before considering dating but like in a very friendly fashion and maybe bring a friend with you. maybe be like oh this is a friend from out of town. I have a buddy who did something like that. i dont know just and idea.

• Does he live reasonably close to you? Is he close to your age? If yes to both, you could probably arrange to meet him in a public place and get to know more about him in a safe environment.

• I don't see a big difference. Go on a date somewhere in public and get to know them. Although you meet the person online you still have to go from there as you would any other relationship. If you aren't open to meeting somebody online what the heck are you doing talking to the guy and wasting his and your time?

• Meet him on public place and bring someone with you.
    Do not go to isolated places.
    Know the person before activate love mode.

• I've tried dating online before and it never worked out. Too many catfish and people who dont take online relationships seriously

• I have and I would again. If it happens then it happens

• I wouldn't. It's for sad cunts who can't pull in real life. I've met every woman I've ever touched in real life and done the work to get them. Bloody online profiles for a partner. It degrades it to shopping for groceries

• I wouldn't be opposed to it.

• If you meant met on the internet but then hung out in real life, yeah I would be fine with that.

But if you mean date over the internet, no I wouldn't really be interested in that.

• I would but I always meet in a public setting for coffee or something

• Absolutely! No rules how you meet the person it's more about how you do the dating.

• Everybody, including my parents, is "from the internet" .

• internet is made out of humans who sit behind a machine, there's no real uhh don't date someone from the internet. I can tell you I rather date someone of the internet than from africa ^^

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 40

• Sure would. If we lived close.
    Not all internet people are murderers 😂 Just the majority of them 😉

• Four years ago I married a man from Egypt who Found me on Facebook and traveled way across the world to God's country...
    Trust your Own Intuition, @Southernbella, and Don't take the word of 'Friends' who may be Doubting Thomas's themselves in this sticky situation.
    I have been Doing Online Dating on a reputable Dating site for a long time now, and Never have I had a problem, have even had a few relationships with them.
    However, in Meeting and Greeting, always make sure First you Meet up First in a lit up place where you can Go... Face to Face.
    Yes, Buyer should Beware when Internet dating because there have been many True and Sad stories behind the computer curtain. But like anything in life, which of course is a gamble, along with This... The More you Know the smarter you are and eventually, the Wiser you Get.
    Good luck. xx

• I met What I thought was a nice man... he just used me, he made fun of me , he got other women to pull me down as well- few years later I'm still single, I've no trust in men, I can't bear to bring myself to go on a date with a man let alone let him touch me, he used me because online he could pretend he was a nice guy, turns out he was just bored and out the jail on a curfew and I was just some vulnerable idiot he could pick on... but then again u would get men like that offline as well... I think at all times trust your gut instinct... minute you feel uncomfortable get the hell out of there.. always meet in public place and if he starts off talking about an ex badly then you know the kind of man you are dealing with

• I'm already in a relationship with a guy I met online ( actually it was here on gag ), I did it before with another guy but it failed for specific reasons.. But I'm trying it again
    the most important thing if u r planing on dating him especially if u live in different countries, you MUST be able to travel to each other... If not... Then trust me, you don't want to try it out, one of the reasons that made my past LDR fail was coz it was really hard to travel to each other... So yeah.. And if you like him, and he likes you, get to know each other, and things will be ok! 😊

• I never would. Only about 10% of your intended meaning is conveyed online. There's no way to observe him in a candid way without coming across as suspicious, but that observation is how you get a creepy vibe from someone. That's not to say that he is some creep for sure, but that there is no real way to know. Even guys you meet in person can be creeps and you won't know it. I say don't do it, but if you decide to, just make sure you take all the necessary precautions.

• I've met more than 20 strangers from the internet in person and I only talked on Skype with 4 of them beforehand.

Still alive!

• Yes, I would, but Skype video calls among other things would be necessary. I'd have to see that they are the person in photos I've seen.

• No, I wouldn't. I only date people I've met face to face and have been friends with for a while or at least known them a while.

• unlikely, but who knows right?

• I personally would probably not, I don't trust many people on the Internet.

• Yes I would if I felt like I love them enough. especially after having verification theyre who they say they are (Skype video call)

• I'd date a guy I met online. But it would be after we've talked for awhile and video chatted and the necessary precautions were taken to ensure that he was who he said he was.

• Look murders are murders Depsite where u met them.. be sure as long u are good person who using online sites then be sure there's good others like u..
    Advice: rather u met him online, coffee, mall, street... U always have to be aware don't tell him where u live until u trust him & always meet in public
    Tbh I don't know what dating means is it sleeping with

• I did online dating, met an amazing guy who treats me well. We have made memories together and enjoy spending time together. what i suggest is follow your instincts and if you feel happy and comfortable around him and want to spend more time with him then do it, try dating each other. however if you feel you are not sure or something doesn't feel right, then you need to make the decision for yourself. There really are nice guys out there :)

• So r u still with him or where the guy is from

• That less tho n I know you you were with me on kik nice to meet you again. Ma girlfriend lives in portugal she is from Canada badically she want hook up I feel that way until we can meet in person as she full of sex

• I don't think we have ever talked, i think you are thinking of someone else. Though good luck with your long distance relationship, i hope it works out for you

• I would. But I do have doubts and I overthink a lot 😂

• I'd have to video chat a lot a lot first.

• Um.

For me the answer is no.

I find it weird that people would consider having a relationship with someone from the internet who they have never met in their life. It is also very dodgy. What is the person was a murderer or just plain weird.

:\

• I met my boyfriend online and it turned out all right. He's the best thing that's happened to me. I just had a gut feeling that he was not pretending and really liked me. Trust your gut instincts.

• Depends if he lives nearby. I would meet him and go to somewhere public.

• Sure, why not. Just be smart: get pictures, his numbers, and tell people where you're going if you're meeting up.

• Yes and I am in a relationship with someone I met online.

• People who DO know eachother murder eachother too, so xD
    Just go on a date, at a crowded public place, let friends know where you are to be sure and have fun

• I would give it a try 😇
    Do what your hearts tells you

• I would, but I'd have to get to know him a little bit IRL first.

• Ya I totally would

• No way! I think it's too dangerous...

• Yep... I'm in a relationship with someone I met online :)

• sure if we actually met in person, if not then no

• Sure, I would do that if I was really into him.

• No way! It's all about real life! Gotta feel the vibe and have fun

• More from Girls
    10