Guys, would you dump a girl because of her depression?

95% of the time I am all happy and outgoing but I have this little sad girl in me and it sometimes comes out. I get quiet and sad and talk bad about myself. I have a low self-esteem thanks to being bullied, put down and mistreated by men. Sometimes the depression gets to me and he always does his best to help. We live in a long distance relationship but he can tell just by my typing if I am down. I think it bothers him that I try to avoid the subject but I just don't wanna be that nutjob and will rather try and pretend all is fine when he can clearly tell it's not. Guys what do you say?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Definitely no. In the contrary, I'd do my best to help her step out of it, and I wouldn't even question her about it; if I love her I would know whenever she feels blue, and would act accordingly, like taking her out --forcing--. Got to say, a long distance relationship makes everything harder, but he can still light up your day. If he loves you, he won't dump you.

What Guys Said 14

• Yes. I would. But what you're talking about is not depression. It's sadness. There's a difference. Depression is pervasive. Sadness happens to everyone. At minimum, using the word "depression" implies a person who has Major Depressive Disorder. I've been with several crazy chicks, and we worked out just fine. But, we weren't just sitting in a corner crying all day. That would be annoying. We did things together; we laughed, etc. People have to get things out of a relationship. If they get nothing but an unpaid Case Worker job, then why would they want that?

As for your situation, it really doesn't sound like you have much to worry about. Except the whole long-distance thing.

• I doubt it would be a problem unless her depression was so bad she started cutting herself or something serious like that. It is normal to get depressed from time to time. Most people have issues in their past that leave some type of emotional baggage.

• I think you would feel better more often if he was with you all the time. LDR suck in general simply because of the distance. To answer your question, it depends on the severity of the depression. Someone who just gets down in the dumps once in a while is ok, I handle that, but someone who requires a bunch of meds and has a hard time functioning in society may be a deal breaker.

• Not really! I fell in love with a girl friend. She had bad relationships, has depression and anxiety issues.
    Despite all that, I wan't her so much in my life, we have so much in common and get along very well. She does not want commitment and rejected me once, but that does not keep me from trying.
    If you believe it's worth it and you feel it's true love then pursuit it until you get a real NO.

• Hell no, if my girlfriend felt depressed I'd move heaven and earth to get her to feel better.

• Well... every case of depression is different. I did date thus one girl that was manic depressive (I didn't know in the begining... it came up later) and she was a relativly light sufferer in the begining. I approached it as a thing for me to help with and I did my best to be understanding. Over time she got worse to the point where my efforts moved into being an enabler and things got really out of control. I did end up leaving her in the end... mostly due to her behaviour i knew wasn't her "fault" but I just could not ride the coaster with her anymore.

• I couldn't break up with someone for that reason

• No, looking into your eyes and seeing your pain would turn me on. Judge me, I don't care.

• No.. It's okay. Your boyfriend wants to help you.

• if a girl's with me and she falls into depression... i'm probably the cause (or a contributing factor)

i'd address it.

• Possibly. Depends on if she were working it as a problem and getting help. If she were not, and just "crutching" on it, then yes I would.

• Fuck no, I have depression myself

• No way!

• what do you mean mistreated?