Would you date someone strictly on personality?

Let's say this person has a personality that is relationship material but this person is not attractive to you at all. No matter what. Would you still date this person?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to be attracted to them. I've had at least one friend where the intellectual and emotional chemistry was off the charts, where we both acknowledged that being with each other was a turn-on, but there was just no physical attraction for either of us. She's cute, but the thought of seeing her naked just did absolutely nothing for me. I couldn't date someone without liking their personality, and I tend to find those people more attractive the longer I know them, but physical attraction is necessary too.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. While I'm not a shallow being and personality is very important when it comes to me finding someone attractive/dating them, it doesn't mean it is the only thing of importance. I need to be physically attracted to the person too. This is why I'd rather start off as friends. I have fallen for people who I would usually not have liked if it were just based on physical attraction, but when I got to know them as a person, not "eye candy," I found them to be much more attractive than I would have thought before.

What Guys Said 25

• Nope. Not even a chance. Default attractiveness is mandatory. Now, there's a difference between not being attracted to someone and thinking they're unattractive. If I wasn't attracted to her, but didn't view her as ugly, then I might consider it. But, if I viewed her as entirely unattractive, then nope. Even a bit below average girls can still be pretty. They can still have that default attractiveness necessary. At that point, personality plays a role in enhancing that attractiveness--less for men than women, but it still does, I think. I once left a ridiculously attractive chick for an average looking girl, just because I had more fun with her and she made me smile and laugh.

If I was looking for marriage, a long-term deal, then I might focus almost purely on personality melding. But, I will never be.

• Average looks+good personality >> Good looks+poor personality. Same as choosing a flame or a stone. A flame is more appealing but a stone is obviously a better choice. Looks do matter, but its garbage if the person doesn't have a decent personality.
    Looks are important too. Its like voting for the most appealing candidate, all looks good on paper but what about it when it comes to the test? After all the initial attraction and infatuation is lost, the only thing that gives the relationship any mileage is the personality of the people involved. I can bet people who say good looks over personality are just asking to be butthurt.

• Well, I have decided never to date in my entire lifetime. However to answer your question, "NO", I will not date someone strictly on personality only. I'll never do that.

• Looks aren't the only thing that matter, but I have my limits.

• How strictly are we talking here? Is she a dog with the personality of an angel? I mean, personality compensates for a great deal but if she's repulsive or doesn't attract me physically in any way then, no, I couldn't date her. On the other hand -- and this is something happening to me currently -- there is a girl I'm trying to talk to with the personality of an eggplant but the body of a goddess. I wouldn't date her either. In fact, with the girl with a great personality I'd gladly be friends with but the hot girl with the bad personality I'd rather avoid or hit and quit at most; and I hate hook ups so she needs to be extremely attractive in my eyes for me to even be interested in that.

• I've only ever dated based on personality. But I'm the only one, you won't hear that from anyone else.

• I'm sorry, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life bagging her head. I'm more of the whole package deal when it comes to relationships.

• Its just dating. I'll give it a go

• No. I have to find someone physically attractive in some way or I won’t be romantically interested in them.

• I would more likely become friends with them

• I'd probably go out with them once or twice, but I doubt anything romantic could evolve without physical attraction. We'd end up being friends.

• Nope.

But as I've said many times before, I don't have a defined "type." If I showed you a list of women I liked in the past and in the current, you'd see the variety.

• I'd need her to be intelligent too.

• Of course not

• if physical appearance wasn't important, then everyone would be bisexual at the minimum.

• Still have to be attracted to them. However attraction can build over time

• Tried it, its hard. Because looks is part of a person's personality. For example

Eyes give off a gentle look or sexual
    Face structure and expressions give off a certain vibe

There's too many options to not just go for what works

• Hahaha, interesting...

No.

• It take attraction to form a relationship for me.

• I've done it in the past, and I would happily do it in the future. I'd rather have an awesome but not super sexy girlfriend then a super sexy girlfriend with a shit personality.

• no looks come into it too.
    yes the personality is what can make her beautiful

• I said yes but it's more of a maybe.

• I've done it before but you have to be attracted to them in some way you know

• no never I have to be a little bit attracted too them

• Yes.

What Girls Said 12

• Eh, no, never. Anyone who says that looks don't matter AT ALL is a big fat liar. Of course, personality is more important, but looks are fairly important too. They're not irrelevant. I wanna be with someone I'm super attracted to, like, I can't keep my hands off them.

• I voted no, because I wouldn't date someone I was physically repulsed by, but often times I meet someone "unattractive" but as I get to know their personality, I grow more attracted to them. I'm that case I would totally date them.

• No, because it's the appearance which attracts me but it's the personality that I fall in love with.

• Someone's personality can turn me on. So I think personality is more important. I do not want someone super ugly ^^ But a great personality can make a bad looking person look really good. Like a very bad personality can make a good looking person look worse.

• No. I must be physically attracted to someone in order to date them.

• personality can be just as attractive as looks. physical attraction can follow personality attraction so yep i would

• Honestly, personality is important - I wouldn't date someone who's personality I found unattractive either, even if they were the most attractive physically. But I think finding someone physically attractive is important, if I'm dating someone I want to want to sleep with them, and personality alone would not make me want them.

• No?
    I don't know
    I think I need feel at least some attraction.

If I look into his eyes, I need to find softness, not get scared.

• Nope, I'm not going to date someone I'm not attracted to. Physical attraction is important.

• Physical /sexual attraction is very important, so no

• Attractiveness is crucial. I would never go out with someone I don't find attractive. No way!!

• There has to be something attractive, like his nice smile or eyes at least. Otherwise it'll feel like a platonic friendship type of relationship.