How do you react if someone says they love you, but you're not ready to say it back?

How do you feel about the situation? Are you uncomfortable around that person after hearing those words? What do you say to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• I imagine that could be an awkward position to be in if you're on the receiving end. Maybe something simple like "Thank you. You're pretty cool too!"

I don't think it's wrong to not say it back if you're not. They've stated their feelings, and if you lie and say you love them when you really don't, you're setting things up for failure. At your age, the other party should be able to understand and respect if you don't say it back to them, and as long as the relationship continues progressing, it shouldn't really worry them either. Let him know you're interested in keeping things moving along (if you are), maybe something like "I like the direction our relationship is heading" or something.
    Or if you're not that in to him and don't see it going anywhere, that would probably be the time to have a honest dialogue and get on the same page, otherwise you're setting him up for disappointment and more heartbreak further down the road.

What Guys Said 1

• I'm flattered but I'd tell them I don't feel the same

What Girls Said 3

• If you aren't ready to say it, but you still like the person and want to date him, you could just look into his eyes and smile. No need to say it back if you aren't ready to. You could compliment him on something that you like about him.

• I tell them that I'm not ready to say that and I hope they understand.

• I would feel like its fake.. Because usually when real love flows in one it will wave back to the other. Its the "feelings" so i shouldn't feel like i have to play a roll and say "i love you" just because..

If i wasn't sure then i would ask:

"What do you love about me?"

Face to face action