For you, how much does genre music compatibility matter in a relationship?

In essence, how much does it matter to have the same taste in genres of music as your partner?

🎢🎡🎼🎢🎡🎼🎢🎡🎼🎢🎡🎼

• absolutely critical for me
  • it is a huge factor
  • is a moderate factor
  • is a lower factor
  • is a minimal factor
  • is not a factor one bit
  • deaf or don't like music

Most Helpful Girl

• We don't have to have identical interest in music though it would certainly give us something to connect to/talk about. But I'm not going to say that it doesn't matter at all because it does.

I'm a music addict and I'm actually open to a lot of genres so if we don't even have one in common or he's into the ones that I hate then it just won't work... But it's not like we have to agree on each and every single one of them.

Most Helpful Guy

• it is a huge factor. i'm gonna spend a lot of time around my partner. so it would be nice to like at lest on gen

What Girls Said 19

• Doesn't matter too much. My enjoyment of music is mostly a solo thing. And now I have, like, 20 pairs of headphones (LOL) so it can be reallyreallyREALLY a solo thing.

'Twould only be a deal-breaker if the boy just didn't much care for music, or rhythm, in general. But, we don't have that problem. That boy IS rhythm.

• The thing is it would be really nice to be with someone who has at least some of the same music tastes, however if I really liked the person it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• I like almost all music (pop, classical, rock, r&b) except stuff like dubstep... so it's not important to me

• I don't care! I care about political affiliation compatibility!
    He can listen to whatever he wants...

• I'd say it's a lower fact.
    If he likes the same type of music I like, I think it's great. But if he doesn't, I'm OK with that.
    I only would see a problem if he listens to music with racist, sexist, xenophobic or homophobic content.

• It doesn't matter to me. I have very eclectic taste. In fact, it would be nice if my partner introduced me to be things. I love that aspect of a relationship, whether it is music or some other interest of theirs.

• I don't care. Screamo has to be one of my least favorites and my boyfriend listens to it all the time. Not to mention his favorite band is terrible lol

• It would be best if they had simliar taste of music to me. But it doesn't have to be, but there is no way in hell I would be listening to country music if my boyfriend liked country music,

• It isn't that big of a deal to me, my boyfriend however has somewhat converted me to his favorite music

• It's not too big of a factor for me but I would hope that the guy I dated was more into old school music rather than this crappy music artists are putting out today!

• As long as we have similar or some tastes I'll live

• It's not that big of a deal for me, but that's partly because my music taste is really eclectic so I'm sure there's something we'd both like

• I voted minimal because I have been with 2 white dudes and one was into heavy metal and the other was into new wave from the 80s. my other bfs have been into rap and hip hop mostly, like me so it wasn't a factor

• My boyfriend and I have polar opposite music tastes, but we still get along

• I once dated a bass player and I didn't understand the music he liked. But I still stayed with him.

• not even a bit. i don't mind'

• It's important because there certain music I can't and won't tolerate

• I don't care. I venture into all music types so... 😂

• It's more lower than other things. The only time it's really an issue is long car rides and one person insists on listening to just their music.

What Guys Said 13

• A little. Of course I'd prefer it if we liked the same stuff, it makes for easier car rides, haha. My girlfriend and I agree on most 90s rap and R&B, so that's where we connect. I'm trying to expand my horizons a little in recent years, so I'm trying to get into some other genres like rock and EDM. She likes some of the EDM, but she's not really much into the music. The only thing I absolutely positively could not deal with is country music. Holy fuck, nothing makes me want to put a bullet in my brain quite like country music and the accompanying culture. It's just the exact opposite of everything I know and stand for.
    http://d2ws0xxnnorfdo.cloudfront.net/meme/596569

• For me, it was one of the determining factors if I should spend my life with my girlfriend back then, now my wife.

Like for me, I love old school and oldies. I can't see myself in a road trip with my so and she's listening to a death metal band whilst I listen to Paul Anka's greatest hits haha.

• Huge factor for me. Music does has to do a lot with compatibility. I mean, she doesn't need to listen exactly to the things that I listen but at least appreciate music that goes in the same vein as genres I listen to.

For example I tried dating a girl that was huge in the rastafari culture so she listened only to reggae and roots music (while I listen to metal, rock, jazz, etc). Wow was I wrong, we were polar opposites on pretty much everything so it definitely wasn't something that wasn't going to work. Now, if I meet a girl that listens to soul music or folk music for example, it doesn't differ much to what I listen to, even experimental music or electronic. There are genres that get along with and others that just come from completely different cultures/backgrounds. That's my take on this at least.

• Voted E. Not a big deal at all! :)

• Well before I met my wife (herself a music teacher), it was a moderate factor. When I was married, it became a HUGE factor. Now she's gone, it's become a painful factor.

• Not that much, I just her to show my playlist some love and be open. 95% of what I listen to is Rap/Hip-hop so being introduced to some new stuff would be cool.

• Not that important, I'd love to be with someone who'd get me hooked to music I typically don't listen to.

• Seeing as how most people I've gotten really well with seemed to be due to our similarities in music taste, I would hope she enjoys the same taste as me

• It's something I can easily look past

• different music = exposes each other to new music.

similar music = fangirl+fanboy

• She can listen to what ever she wants, Idc

• Opposites attract... Open your mind... Expand your horizons

• It's pretty important, music taste says a lot about someone. She must like metal, even if not the same stuff as me. Or at least hard rock