My atheist brother wants to convert to Islam to be with his girlfriend?

His girlfriend's family is super religious and will not approve of their relationship unless he converts. I told him I will never talk to him again if he does that. Am I being irrational? He does not believe in god and he is only doing it for his long-term girlfriend.

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't let him convert!!!
    If she truly loves him she will accept him as is.

• I don't think it works that way with islam, although you are correct.

• Then they dont believe in Jesus.

• Thanks for MHO

What Girls Said 13

• I had a friend who converted to Catholicism for his girlfriend and then they ended up breaking up like a month later. So converting definitely doesn't cement a relationship.

I also think it's wrong for you tell him you'll never talk to him again. He needs a strong support system right now instead of a smaller one.

• ^^^ - strong support system very important!

It's like any other decision you think is bad. You let them know you're still their brother (whatever) and you'll be there for them if it falls apart, and in the meantime, you still love them.

• Yes, you are being irrational! You are lucky to have a sibling, and part of loving that sibling is giving them unconditional love. That doesn't mean you agree with everything they do in life, but it does mean that you'll be there for them no matter what. I can't comment as to the seriousness of his relationship with the girlfriend of if he's serious about the religion because I don't know him or her personally, but if he feels he wants to do it, he's going to do it, and if he decides its a mistake, then it will be, and if he doesn't, he'll have a religion. This is life. Converting to another religion or joining one seeing as how he's an atheist, does not make one, some kind of bad person. Ditching your brother because you don't agree with his choice, makes you a bad sister.

• I think it is irrational because you are his brother. Converting to any religion isn't very simple and if he truly wants to be with his girlfriend he will also understand he can't just convert and it'll be done. He will have to practice their beliefs and customs. So if he realizes this, he's willing to make this conversion for his girlfriend. It's a sign of love and respect. And he may learn to believe and love whomever they worship to (unfamiliar with Islamic religion) but I think as his brother you should support him. It's not your place to excommunicate him for wanting to show love and respect to his girlfriend and her family. I wish him all the best

• Than let him!

• It is his choice. I am Muslim, but I got lucky that the love of my life + best friend is also Muslim.
    But I know of a girl whose boyfriend converted to Islam for her. And they're doing great.
    The girl has GOT to be worth it though. You've got to realllyyyy be sure of her AND her family.

• I personally wouldn't want someone to convert because if I truly love them then I should accept them for what they are. That being said, at the end of the day it's his decision and telling him that you won't speak to him again is wrong. Converting to another religion is hard and at this time, he needs your support whether he goes through with it or not. Don't make it harder than it already is for him.

This is coming from a muslim

• It's his choice.

• you're being irrational.

• He's doing it for his girlfriend because couples are suppose to make sacrifices for each other. Are you really gonna make him chose between you and his girlfriend? It's not personally affecting you anyway, just let him live his life.

• Let him be any religion he wants, if they break up he'll probably convert back.

• You're being completely irrational. Let him do what he wants

• Then don't talk to him she will be there for him you are ugly brother think Atheist is a religion

• The fact that the girl is muslim first off and dating none muslim men is haram let alone dating in general. But who am I to judge.

Let him know it's not worth it. converting to Islam just to be with a girl doesn't benefit him if he doesn't believe in it. Its only going to complicate things. Especially if her family finds out he did it just to be with her.

What Guys Said 20

• That's really disingenuous and when you think of it quite pointless. But if he doesn't mind living a lie, censoring himself and following pointless rituals for his entire life then he should go for it.

Personally, I think it's a shitty deal. This is why I generally refuse to seriously consider a Muslim for a relationship, despite my personal feeling that Arab women are very physically appealing. It's just not worth the hassle. Even if she is open minded her family might be a problem as with your case.

• Unfortunately that's Islam for you.

You should show some confidence in your brother. Chances are, he may mimic the teachings but not actually believe them. Converting doesn't mean God suddenly exists, and he's fully aware of that fact. Cultural assimilation is the goal.

The likelihood of him living as the example set by the Prophet Muhammad and waging jihad on Western values is slim. He's doing it for one reason, and if anything her parents are more concerned than you are.

Your brother needs your support to fight the good fight. If every follower of Islam was some dank looking hipster apologist that dismisses the Hadith and the story of Muhammad's conquests, that's a fair compromise considering religion is a hard habit to break.

• Lol, this made me laugh, what you are telling him to leave his girlfriend?
    What part of "they are Muslim and super-religious didn't you understand?"
    Geez.. You might get yourself and your bro in lethal situation, be careful :p

• yeah, you're being irrational and just plain wrong. Though, he sounds like dumb-ass for converting for a girl, i mean her parents must see how transparent this all is right?

Point is you pushing him away just proves how conditional your brotherly love for him is. Makes him think you only want to be part of his life if he lives according to your standard. That's crap, let him live his mistakes.

• Nah man, you're right. When someone is in a relationship, their beliefs must be respected. Your brothers so's family is wrong, the way I've seen it, relationships based with people having hardcore views like these don't last long because they don't want to change but expect change from you instead. Your brother is being foolish.

• "Am I being irrational?"

Yes, you are. It's his decision to make. Why don't you voice your concerns to him, and then just tell him that you'll support him no matter what? Be a brother to him.

• U shouldn't be like that if u believe in God then pray for him that his heart, eyes, & mind may be open to Jesus the truth and support him cuz he is your brother no matter what. " AM I my brothers keeper? Yes I am! Besides God gave him freewill to choose who are u to tell him what to choose focus on the state of your soul and your relationship with God.

• I think he should quit while he's a head... while he still has his head. As dumb and insanly crazy as this sounds, Atheists are more Christ like than Islam people are.

• Fuck all that.

• Tell him to run.

I fucked a Muslim girl once, and it resulted in half of the Arab population hammering on my parents' front door and demanding that the 'infidel' (me) come outside.

Not a mistake I'll make again.

• they expect him to pray and shit. I said I will disown his ass if he doesn't stop being such a pussy.

• He is being the most stretched out, used up, saggy bucket of a vagina right now, I agree.

Who pretends to be a Muslim just to get laid? I mean I've told some pretty outrageous lies to get pussy, but c'mon, that's just too far. Especially when he's actually dating her.

His head's gonna get chopped off when they find out he was lying just to get pussy...

• Yeah, something like that.

• There's nothing wrong with pretending to believe in a religion. Many of the so called believers don't believe anyway. It's a lot better not to believe than to believe, so what's the harm?

• Tell your brother he's an absolute idiot.

• Let him do that so he can see for himself how this barbaric religion works. He will dump that muslim bitch afterwards.

• Sounds like he is being stupid.

• Don't let him compromise his principles for a girl.

• That's not good at all they both can marry and they dont have to accept no religion. If he wants to for LTR then it's okay.

• forced love is bad
    and it will end bad he shouldn't do it just for some pussy

• He's a sell out

• do not manipulate him , He reaches a true way

• We have become sheep.