Would you date someone with depression or another mental illness?

Please be completely honest.
Lying is always worst than the truth.

• Yes
  • Only if it's not server
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Depression I understand to a degree since I've experienced stuff like that before. I'm not accustomed to the majority of them though. I can deal with mental illnesses to an extent. Severe illnesses would probably be a big enough turn off to where I wouldn't date them.

I think of it like this: I treat people with mental illnesses like anyone else. I don't give them extra points to account for the illness. I put them on the same playing field.

However, no matter how severe the illness is, nothing is saying I won't be friends with them. And, if the friendship happens and I figured out I actually really like the person later on, sure I'd date them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depression is so debilitating for the person suffering. It all depends on the reason for their depression. There's many reasons for Depression and many levels of the severity of depression too

If someone was depressed due to a breakup with a person they loved then I wouldn't date him, because I would never give my heart to someone who was still picking up the pieces of their own. They'd need time to heal before they could ever be happy with someone else

If they were depressed due to unresolved issues or a past trauma then I would date him. I would appreciate his trust in me and his willingness to open up and confide in me about it. His candor would draw me closer to him. I value people's honesty , especially when I know they aren't obliged to disclose anything to me , and when I know it's not easy for them to talk about something which causes them so much pain.

What Guys Said 7

• I have done this. And it is draining. You try to help them but then they are angry because your literally changing their thought process. And some people don't realize it but they use depression as a way of being noticed. Its very difficult subject. I personally believe if you are not well while you are alone. You are depressed then you need to get sorted. You need to become happy. Most people think by finding the perfect ideal person to care about you is going to make them happy. Sure for a while it will but later on you will still be asking the question "Why am I not happy?". So many people fall for that trap.
    "The key to happiness is progress"
    "If your not growing your dying." - Tony Robbins
    I only talked about depression here the other mental illnesses are to broad and different to say yes or no.

• Absolutely. Not only do I have a mental illness (Major Depression) but I want to be a doctor. Look, mental illness aren't fun, but they don't make you a bad person. Sometimes we just need someone to help us out. It may be tedious at times, and cause a bit of stress, but if the person truly loves you it won't matter! sometimes all we need is some love and affection. Besides, I AM dating someone with a mental illness, and I love her to the moon and back times a thousand!!

• I would yes, and we would fight against the problem together, somewhere in the world we would find answers.

• No, I wouldn't.

• What do you mean by server, don't you mean serious.

• Server? What

• Depression or anxiety yes, bipolar, no, been there done that, even a mild case with medication, no. Its more about what kind of mental illness, for instance schizophrenea is fat more severe than anxiety or depression, and bipolar, even a mild case, also severe.

What Girls Said 6

• It depends, I did in the past and it was a rollercoaster and I literally had to complain about communication all the time in order to finally get a pinch of it. So I guess maybe- if communication was strong from the start, I have no issues with leaving someone alone if they want their alone time, or if theyre just having a shit day. But I don't want to be off wondering what the hell is going on.

• Well my ex had depression and my current boyfriend has learning disabilities, confidence issues, anger issues and ADHD so yes.

• At the moment I'm dating someone who suffered depression. But he's at like a mental hospital getting better right now, he's doing much better

• Only if they were complying with treatment measures.

• I have never been depressed but I am more into happy people.

• Only if it wasn't severe. I tried dating a guy with bi polar depression and he made it really difficult. He kept breaking up with me, then wanting me back... I can't stand that jerking back and forth. I offered him help, but as a friend since I couldn't be in a relationship with him. He didn't take that so well and disappeared from my life.