Do you agree that exes who can be friends were either never in love, or still are?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the only time this can genuinely happen is if the break-up was rather mutual, or mostly mutual, like if the couple started drifting apart.

I've seen people become good friends with their ex in these scenarios, but not in those devastating heartbreak scenarios where one person was not at all ready to break up.

I put "no" because in those cases, it doesn't mean the couple never loved each other at all. There's no guarantee that who you fall in love with will be your love for the rest of your life. People change, get older, mature, change character, sometimes even change interests.

So I say "no".

Most Helpful Girl

• I tried to stay friends with my ex boyfriend and that did not go well because we both realized that we loved each other too much to see one another with someone else or we couldn't stand being "just friendly" with one another. I was willing to do anything to make it work out for the both of us; i really wanted to be friends because it meant that he would stay by my side for at least longer than he should... It ended up being an disaster because we just realized how much we wanted to get back together but we can't. So based on my experiences, I'll say yes. You can only be friends with your ex because you still love them or you never loved them in the first place...

What Guys Said 12

• I have no idea how exes can maintain contact after a relationship. That concept is so mind blowing to me. It's so much easier to cut contact and move on in separate directions.

• no i don't agree with that

• Not necessarily. It could be that they are perfectly able to move on from you while still maintaining contact.

• I would say no.

• uh... sorry but isn't that everyone not just ex's? And usually one person is in love with the other. I don't know why girls think its great being friends with their ex's... oh... it causes drama... forgot that drama is important to women.

• Hello no. I am friends with every single Ex aside from two who cheated, a couple I loved. We are good friends.

• No. Not if the breakup happens slowly and mutually (they drift apart, the romance fades). Otherwise, probably, yes.

• i believe people self sympathize by fabricating clever lines to sooth being dumped

• I would agree with this, yes.

• No, I don't agree with that at all.

• No, ex's can not be "just friends"

• Nah, I'm friends with my ex, granted not as close as I'd like us to be, but I don't love her like that anymore. She's just a really nice and smart person, and I'd like to be friends

What Girls Said 6

• My ex husband of 15 years and I are friends. We're actually better now that we're divorced than when we were together, in terms of getting along and being on the same wavelength regarding our son. I know if I really needed anything he would help me and vice versa. I did truly love him back in the day, but our relationship just didn't work out. The all-or-nothing mentality is kind of immature.

• Definitely yes.

• I'm friends with my ex fiance lol

• When you truly love someone, you can't only be "friends" with them.

• I think if the couple were good friends before it's possible

• The latter, mine still has feelings for me.