Who is less shallow when it comes to bodies, men or women?

I say men, because you see men date a much broader spectrum of women.

• Men
  • Women

Most Helpful Girl

• I think men are. Lots of fit guys are with heavy women.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well we actually know the answer to this, its men who are less shallow. A survey done by okcupid showed that men when asked to rate women had a perfect bell curve, meaning that women where on average, average. However for the women they rated men so low that 80% of men where viewed as below average in looks. So, like I said we know the answer to who is more shallow and it looks like its women. blog.okcupid.com/.../
    I think the issue is when people think shallow they think looks which is also not the case. If a woman wants a tall man, she is being shallow, if she wants a man who is well off, she is being shallow, if she wants a guy who is a doctor/lawyer/corporate bigwig she is being shallow.

What Girls Said 22

• Women. I see women dating all kinds of different looking guys.

• Women I reckon. Men can be very specific.

• I have a question. Sometimes i heard on here online that some women only date guys with a certain height or more. But do girls really care that much about height or is nothing really a problem unless the guy is a lot smaller than the girl?

• @hellionthesage I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, i just don't like when people try to force their view on me. like okay u think surveys are important, cool. i respect that but i don't agree with it.

• But that wasn't what you said. You dismissed it as if it had no merit what so ever, which is both illogical and disrespectful, which is why I continued to explain. then you insulted me without provacation. It was not deserved/warrented. Irregardles I think this conversation has ended.

• Women for sure. I know infinitely more women who are with less attractive men than the other way around.

• If you're talking about just sex then yes men are less picky. If you're talking about in terms of dating in hopes of beginning an actual relationship then women are less picky looks wise.

• Women for sure... many woman date on personality , we are known to " settle " which is sad.

• Women. Always trying to build confidence and not hurting anyones feelings.

• Wait whaaaat? If women are women's worst enemy? xD

• @AleDeEurope I mean not all the time. It has to be something that was so confidence shattering, emotionally charged and potentially psychologically traumatic that only then do women defend other women. It usually is for some type of self-serving purpose. If I asked another woman that was fat if she is expecting, all the sudden I'd be all types of skinny bitches and rude and she's not fat she's curvy.

• The averageWomen may not be as shallow as the average man in terms of looks, but they sure look at their wallets.

• Women are less shallow. We aren't as visual of creatures as guys are.

• You can be shallow and not be visual. When women say that a guy has to be taller then them that is shallowness, when she expects him to be the oft spoken of "tall dark and hansome" she is being shallow. When she expects a man to be well off financially or career wise then she is being shallow. Shallowness does not mean only looks, which as an okcupid survey showed women actually do care about quite a bit more then men: blog.okcupid.com/.../
      it also means any characteristic that doesn't pertain to the individual as a whole person but rather reducing them down to a single trait.

• @hellionthesage You're confusing being shallow with having standards.

• @snowangle So its only shallow when men do it not when women do it? As I said shallow is holding one trait as desirable and ignoring all else. I think your confusing standards with a percieved entitlment.

• Men are more shallow when it comes to these things. They are critical of women's weight, and even bag on other men they think are funny looking, fat or too skinny. If I like a guy, I don't care that he's not perfect-looking. A shitty personality is a deal-breaker though. Guys will put up with so much from a girl if she's hot lol.

• I disagree, now they definetly give each other crap on their selection of girls but when it boils down to it, they really don't personally care. I know a guy who would always be critical of womens looks, yet he himself dates women who are everything from attractive to mildy unattractive, one women was stick thin flat chested, another curvy. Basicly its all talk until the woman actually takes an interest and then it doesn't matter. My other friend is dating a black girl which as he put it he had never had any interest in until he started to get to know her. I think its a competition thing (in my post I pointed out a survey done that showed that while men rated women as average women voted that 80% of the men they where shown where below average yet those same men aimed for the women they claimed where top tier) basicly its not what they care about so much as for the other guys, a proof of worth maybe (Just speculating).

• My friend said it best, "Apparently I'm attracted to anyone who will love me." I personally have noticed this to be the case.

• I feel like saying men!

• Women. Not a lot of men would like a chubby woman. But there's plenty of women who would like a chubby man if he was funny or kind, etc. There's lot of beautiful women with not as beautiful men too but not the vice versa as often.

• I think it depends on the person and it's hard to analyze the genders as a whole. I don't care much about appearances because the way I see it, looks will fade as people age anyway. But a lot of girls I know don't feel the same way as I do.
    On the flip side of that, the majority of boys I know are really judgmental about girls' appearances and tend to describe girls in negative terms like "fat" or "the one with a big nose." I know there are guys who aren't like this, just as there are girls who don't care about looks.

• Men are less shallow when it comes to sex and more shallow when it comes to a life partner.

• Well said!

• Oh wait, I mean to be meant to say more picky.

• @MrNameless Well my original answer is based on dating and marriage (or long term relationships). The OP already stated he believes men are less shallow when dating and I agree since I've seen quite a few guys on this site write they really don't care who they sleep with as long as they get laid. However, when it comes to a long term relationship they start to have a preference in what they want. You can also take into account what @hellionthesage wrote as well.

In regards to women I see women being shallow when it comes to short-term relationships and casual hookups in there younger years. When they get older they become less superficial and focus on stability. Hence becoming less shallow.

My personal view is to go for what you want and forget what others have to say (unless it's an actual concern for your well being).

• Women. Many women can be with a man who simply has a good personality, no matter what he looks like. Since the penis tends to do the picking for many men, it's not the same, in my opinion.

• That is absolute bullshit and you know it lmfao.

• @nohomobrah
      dude women don't make sense so don't waste your time on her

• Lol women are very illogical sometimes. "Yeah as long as he has personality" Absolute bullshit lol

• Men do not date all different types of women... Guys have such high standards. They won't even look at you if they think you're fat! I'm not fat but I have heard plenty of guy friends make fun of girls for being fat. But I'm not saying women are any better...

• I feel like men... but as they get older... mid twenties and on

• Women overall are less shallow when it comes to mens bodies, but women are more shallow when it comes to career.

• I would say women because I feel that once you're personality is great, appearances don't matter anymore.

• I think when women are asked, they have higher standards, but in reality they are more likely to disregard looks when falling for someone.
    When men are asked, they'll feel more open to different types of women, but actually they have to be attracted physically before they consider someone.
    I also read somewhere that women notice details more, so it can seem like they're picky, but they will actually date someone unattractive because he has really nice eyes or a sexy voice or something.
    But men notice someone's overall appearance, so they will fancy a girl with a nice body and not really care about her bacne.

• Men are seen with a broader spectrum, but it's still what he perceives as sexy usually. Like there are guys into bbw porn for example, a fat chick would be his dream and be perfect to him. It's not like he's going against what he thinks is hot.
    I say women just because most guys don't have that "perfect" body but girls still like them. A girl will have a skinny ex and a fat current guy and it's nothing.

• But your judging by different criteria. If a woman wants a guy taller then her and is willing to sacrifice other traits to get that then she is being shallow even though thats not somethign men would do. This also goes with his career or financial situation. As for men, yes they do perceive it as sexy but I also think your ignoring the fact that guys actually can learn it at as well ie he is with a girl he likes who has a particular trait so that in turn causes that trait to be sexy to him by association. It could be considered shallow but its not based upon simple physical attribute but a behavior/emotional aspect.

• I'd say women.

• You don't usually see many individual men date a broad spectrum of women. Most guys I know have a very specific "type" they strongly prefer and mostly date. Which can include not only weight, but body type, height, hair length and cut, breast size, etc. usually guys have 1-2 traits that are non negotiable. Pointing about that some dudes are into BBW or small breasts or whatever shows my point... That's their thing.

Females are more likely to date outside of their own preferences and preferred physical "type" if they guy has a personality trait she especially enjoys.

• I'd say it evens out, but in different ways.

A girl can be good looking, but if she's tall, blonde and thin when the guy likes petite curvy brunettes - her chances are low.

A guy can be good looking in a different way than the girl likes, but if he doesn't make her laugh when she likes funny guys, his chances are higher than the girl above, but still not great. But if he's average and hilarious, he has a betterchance.

• I think women are less shallow because men are more visual and desire sex more and they want a girl who looks pretty even if she is mean to him

What Guys Said 33

• Women have higher standards when judging attractiveness based on just looks but put less value on it (for relationships).

Men can look at a slightly above average looking girl (6/10) and think "hell yeah Id fuck her". How often do girls think this about 6/10 men? Never. For a woman do think "Id totally fuck that guy" just based on his looks, he needs to be better than a 6.

However while women might rate attractiveness more critically they put less value on it for long term. Men however are more likely to put more value on looks for long term partners.

So for casual sex I think the guy is often better looking than the girl he hooks up with. However for relationships the girl is usually better looking than the guy.

• If a woman has an IQ above room temperature she realizes a woman's looks tend to fade from what society generally describes as ideal sexiness, and fade much quicker than the average man's does.

• So you saying I'm ugly and the only thing girls are attracted to me is my height brah?

• @Jose_R

No, I'm just saying it a component of what makes you attractive.

• Definitely women, no question about that. You often see obese men with curvy, sexy looking women, but hardly do you see obese women dating a man with a six-pack or something.

• That's because the ugly guy has money, stop pretending it's any less shallow.

• @FilthyPervert the original question was specifically shallow about a man or woman's BODY. its more acceptable for men to make up for lack of looks with other qualities, whether those qualities are considered shallow or not.

• I actually see women date a broader spectrum. From what I've seen, it seems like women "settle" more. I rarely see a very handsome guy with an ugly girl. But I see plenty of ugly guys with cute girlfriends.

• No, women just have more options. An attractive woman has the world at her fingertips, I see plenty of women who have your typical hourglass feminine bodies who are with wrinkled old rich men, or the same type of woman with a young buck with a big gut, big wallet, and big ego.
    However, on a sadder end of the spectrum, one that can be more understood, women who have been cheated on, or worse, sometimes choose a man who they see as less intimidating or who is less likely to cheat, simply based on how they look. Other times the opposite could be applied, the women keep getting with jerks because its all they feel like they deserve.

I see plenty of good men, physically and characteristically, being passed up because they are old fashioned romantics, cheesy, a-typical.

• So women just go for money and find that more attractive. Im not surprised.

• @TimeSplitters123 Usually, I suppose, but I covered other reasons as well. Its important to note the women who have been raped (I've been raped when I was a kid) and this really messes with a person in the relationship department. Women who have been cheated on by some stereotypically good looking ripped man will choose a man less like him in the future for security and esteem reasons, a less ambitious man or a man with an awkward personality, a less fit or attractive man.

And the whole rape dynamic brings a whole bunch of sad situations that these women face, esteem and others in choosing a mate.

• Women are much harder on themselves than we are. Most of us will be happy with an average girl who is fun and not looking for drama.

• Hmm I guess women are more open to date "less hot" men, though I don't see much difference to be honest.

• Women win this one. I've seen it many times and wonder how this guy ever got this girl, or why is this girl with this guy.

• I would say women are less shallow, anyday!.

• Women by a mile.

• It may seem that women are pickier than men, but that's because we don't wear makeup. We are either naturally hot, or just not hot.

Practically 99% of the female population wears makeup, meaning that you don't have to be naturally hot in order to be hot. There are a LOT of good looking girls walking around because of makeup. Little do we know that our rating is going to change drastically when they take it off.

If women didn't wear makeup, men would be JUST as picky if not MORE picky.

• I'd say it would be the same. Our standard for beauty would adjust.

• For anyone who says wlmen are more shallow with guys body's is bullshit. Men are genetically wired more visually. Women develop attraction more then just looks. personality plays a role. Face it. When a guy sees a hot chick nice body he wants to have sex with her. For women it takes more then a physical attraction to catch her heart

• hahaha these results say a lot

• about equal i would say. There is a man and a women in (almost) every relationship. So how can there be an unequal outcome?

• Gotta go with women on this one. They are more forgiving if you 'let yourself go' a little.

• Society would have you believe women but that isn't true. It's not a question that depends on gender but on the person.

• I'd have to give this one to women.

• Hard to really know , most guys voted for guys and most girls voted girls, I think guys are more shallow because I talk with my fellow friends about girls and we aren't always nice. I have no clue if girls are as shallow. Intresting question

• women are biologically only interested in the top 20% genetic percentile of males, while as you said, men date a wider spectrum of women.

that should answer your question

• I don't care what my woman's body is like long as I love her. I'm more harsh on my own skin than someone else's like I wanna drop at least 60 pounds but even if I dropped 100 I don't need to judge the bigger folks out there

• men are way less shallow cause we go for average girls all the time
    but those average girls think there super hot lol
    its funny too watch

• Women. Only. Want. The. Best.

• I never got that whole "you like personality = you're not shallow/ you like looks = you're shallow" thing.

• Me neither, its all relative and highly influenced by the collective herd. What constitutes a "good personality" is completely objective and unique to both parties involved in any particular judgment and the biases that the individual has from societal trends and influences can never be totally weeded out.

Most importantly psychopaths are very adept in faking emotions, humor, and other mannerisms that require empathy - especially regarding attraction, of which they crave to manipulate others. It throws this crap out of the window, a truly keen awareness and empathic observer would realize that a person's experiences greatly effect a person's personality, "life happened my personality can and did hit the road" If you don't like it, fine I'm not going to stop being myself for some unbeknown woman out there or for some "idea" of the possibility of attracting the right mate for me, it wouldn't be genuine if it isn't myself choosing to change, and change for myself I would have to want to.

• there about the same honestly

• woman... as i was once put down due to my size.

• Depends on the person not sex.

• men. we'll date anyone, but women generally not only want 6 pack guys, but also will not even TALK to Asian/Indian guys, while plenty of guys talk to Asian and Indian girls. and they prefer a specific height/body type/face/race.

• When it comes to bodies, I'd say men. We are very simple, just don't be fat, we'd hit it. Now women... oh man. Girls are much pickier. They won't see someone sexually attractive unless it fits their traits to a T. Gotta be a certain height, certain race, certain body type, certain hair, ETC ETC.

• Women are more shallow. Let me tell you why...

A woman can be born with a busted face but if she puts down the donut and work for a nice body. She will land a boyfriend who in fact be several points above her in looks.

Meanwhile if a man is not born tall (genetics), was not born with a nice face (genetics again). No matter if he works out and gets a nice body for himself would women change their stance on how attractive he is.

The only way women will give him a chance at this point is if he becomes popular and/or rich.

#That's Life

• It is women but you find that like with everything bad in womens gender, they will deny it and say that it is men as proven by polls like this on here.

• More from Guys
    3