Guys, How important is it for a woman to be well-groomed?

So many people responded to my post about the cost of dating for women by saying that women don't have to do their hair or nails or dress nicely, that I'm stunned. Part of the issue, I think, is it guys don't realize what we would look like if we really let ourselves go.

So how important is it to you that a woman doesn't have broken nails with chipped polish; dull, frizzy hair; old clothes; worn-out shoes, stained undies, etc? If we really stopped wearing makeup and getting facials, meaning we had zits, oily skin, and plain faces, would you still ask us out?

Well then. you're reading into it. I mean old. Like they don't fit right anymore cuz the fabric stretched out or its been washed so many times it's too thin, or a sweater has little pills all over it, or its faded, or fraying, or I spilled coffee and can't get the stain out.
Okay, so from the various discussions on gathering that it depends a lot on the social circle that you're moving in. I'm in the corporate world and the men all want a woman who is going to look good on their arm at a work or social event.

If you're going out with someone from college, the local librarian, or your kids' friends' mom, that's different.

7

Most Helpful Guy

• You are putting together two completely different areas in here. You are joining beauty and lust with simple "comon sense".
    Men don't care much for nails stuff, shoes stuff, and makeup stuff. But now here is where you commit the error:
    Because we don't care, it doesn't mean that you should walk around in completely old shoes with holes on them, broken nails, and put random makeup. It means that you don't have to walk in high shiny heels all day, it means you don't have to paint your nails, but at least cut them, right? Light makeup will suffice...

You don't have to look magazine gorgeous, but you shouldn't look like you just got out of bed (unless you're not going anywhere important that day)

You see, stuff like cutting your nails, brushing and washing your hair, washing your face every morning, and not walking around in completely old clothes or shoes (old, not out of fashion), I consider that part of ones hygiene.. regardless of the gender

You should know where you're going, if you look like a prom queen just to go to the supermarket or to work everyday, I would assume you were obsessed with beauty, and very high maintenance. I mean it's nice to look at, but I could never touch you, I'd ruin all your beauty work, right? We want something tangible, something that we feel that we could actually reach for.

To finish, we are aware of how women look without makeup, and that's why we hate it, cause it's just a mask that we can't even touch.

And never underestimate the power of simplicity... less is more, ever heard of that? (It depends on who you're trying to attract though)

What Guys Said 6

• I think personally it's important to be well or at least decently groomed at all times for both men and women.

A prime example of what drives me nuts ( in a bad way ) is when I see people like shopping or at the mall an walking around in public in the clothes they went to bed in like pajamas's, look like they just rolled out of bed and decided to forgo basic hygiene, I would note that I don't care if they are in sweats or anything like that just don't go out in like pajamas or anything that you shouldn't be wearing in public.

That being said I appreciate a well groomed woman.

• The types of women I date don't even consider it a question to be groomed/stylish or not tbh

• Lord have you ever seen those women that go outside and walk around in their pajamas? they look like they just rolled out of bed and decided to go shopping *shakes head*

• @Phoenix98 ya lol like People of Walmart

• Ugh walmart, good deals not the best people, you see some... interesting things there lol.

• You say "old clothes" I hear "perfectly good articles of clothing that have simply fallen out of style with the industry, because their business model requires people to rotate their wardrobe"

• Well then. you're reading into it. I mean old. Like they don't fit right anymore cuz the fabric stretched out or its been washed so many times it's too thin, or a sweater has little pills all over it, or its faded, or fraying, or I spilled coffee and can't get the stain out.

• What's racist? You're concerned about the issues you face...

• Saying "most women have blonde or brown hair" is racist because I'm only thinking of white women. Most women on the planet have black hair.

• It is very important that women take care of their appearance and make sure they are always at the best.

• Women probably need to wash their faces, use conditioner, and buy clothes when their old ones wear out.

So do men.

The question is the incremental costs of getting their hair done, getting nails done, spending more on clothes to stay fashionable, etc.

I'm in the corporate world (and married). My wife generally washes and dries her hair before going out, applies a little makeup, and heads out.

She does spend money on hair coloring, and she'd likely -time- it to be before important events if possible.

Those have relatively low impact, with getting hair done maybe mattering for some girls more than others.

• About the same as men

• So you don't think that women should do things that men don't do?

• Because I will totally stop coloring my hair and doing my nails and worrying about how I look. I will wear the same sweatshirt everyday. That would make me so happy!

• Got it. Thanks.